Need Help (IDM/Ambient, Closed Back, Somewhat Portable,~300 budget)
Dec 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sgsg

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking for a pretty decent jack of all trades to use both at home and on the go.  I mostly listen to IDM and ambient but also various electronic, indie, hip-hop, classical and more.  I would ideally like to spend less than $300 but my budget is flexible.  It's important that they handle various genres very well, are sturdy enough and portable enough to carry around (although I don't mind lugging around some extra bulk for a much better deal/sound quality).  Definitely closed back as I will be using them in the public places, I could go for the best soundstage possible.  I've been looking mostly at the DT1350's but also the HD25 and M80.  But I'm also open to looking into some full size headphones that are relatively portable.  Let me know if you need any other info.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 10
I haven't too much.  I mostly ruled them out because they seem like overpriced HD25's.  Could be mistaken though.  Also testing the waters with the momentums.  But still could use some more group think.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for a pretty decent jack of all trades to use both at home and on the go.  I mostly listen to IDM and ambient but also various electronic, indie, hip-hop, classical and more.  I would ideally like to spend less than $300 but my budget is flexible.  It's important that they handle various genres very well, are sturdy enough and portable enough to carry around (although I don't mind lugging around some extra bulk for a much better deal/sound quality).  Definitely closed back as I will be using them in the public places, I could go for the best soundstage possible.  I've been looking mostly at the DT1350's but also the HD25 and M80.  But I'm also open to looking into some full size headphones that are relatively portable.  Let me know if you need any other info.

Heya,

I don't care much for on-ear myself. It's hard for me to get a proper seal, they sound so different when they're not placed just right on your ears. They're also just uncomfortable to me, with glasses, and without glasses, just from the pressing on just the ear. But if you already know you like on-ear, then by all means, go for it. I liked the sound of the AT ESW9A and the Vmoda M80. The Beyer 1350's are fantastic too for your needs.

But that said, here's some full size suggestions since this is the full-size forum:

Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone HFI 780
Ultrasone PRO 750
Beyer DT770 PRO
Beyer Custom One PRO
Audio Technica A900X
AKG K167
AKG K550
Sony MDR1R
Sennheiser Momentum
Logitech UE 6000
Mr Speakers Mad Dog

Some heavily benefit an amplifier, like a simple Fiio E11 or CMOY.

Very best,

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm not sure, I tried the HD-25's in store I didn't have much of an issue of comfort but that's 20 minutes compared with many hours so really hard to say whether or not I have a real problem with on ears.  I'm willing to hear of some (somewhat) portable fullsize as well but I need help narrowing down from your list how feasible these are for me to carry around in my daily life.  I'm not opposed to buying an amp even if I have to do so a little down the line.  It would be a nice bonus if I could run them from my iphone/ipod but nothing more.  The DT 770 Pros piqued my interest, as well as the HM5''s (but these seem far too large from pictures), the UE6000 and Mad Dog's are also on my radar but many of these I can't find the opportunity to audition.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 10
Also looking for something similar, after reading lots on here my choices seem to be boiling down to either a pair of Ultrasone (I've been offered the pro 750 for £125) or beyer (770 pro)

Also the shure srh 840 could be worth a bash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back