Narrowed it down, tried a few out, and need some input
May 4, 2011 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tokendog

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, hoping Head-fi can help me out a little with this.

I just recently got in to the world of "real music" and by that I mean, listening to music on a real set of headphones and hearing things in the songs that I have never heard before.  Up until recently, I've only owned 50$ headphones at the most and they were the ones available at Best Buy.  

Such as planatronics, cheaper Sonys, and Logitechs.  I came to own a pair of Dr. Dre Beats and liked them, but I knew these were also note that great...but it got me interested.  I started researching and since I game a lot, I decided to pick up a pair of AD700s.  These were amazing for gaming.  I love the sound stage and the positional audio available on these.  I picked up a Creative Titanium HD sound card to replace my 10 year old sound card.  Every thing was pretty good, except, as most have said, the AD700s lack bass.  Big time.

I proceeded to research further and came across the Beyer DT880/600Ohm.  I liked what I read - keeps the soundstage, the positional audio, and adds more detail / accuracy.  I thoroughly enjoyed the DT880s/600s, however, again, I found myself lacking bass.  I tried EQ settings, convolver, and even picked up the e7/e9 combo from the Micca store.  The amp/dac combo brought the DT880s to life.  Beautiful headset, nicely made, nice pads, etc.  I love them...but again, missing the bass I desired.

I eyed the D2000s, the D5000s, and the D7000s (these were out of my price range.  I came across the Ultrasone PRO 900s.  I read as many reviews as I could find on the Denons vs the Pros.  The Pros were far cheaper, though still expensive, and seemed to have a lot of positive feedback behind them from Head-fi and other sites.  So I bit the bullet and ordered them.

They arrived today and already I am impressed.  It has the bass that I want.  I love it.  I can tell the difference in attention to detail between the DT880s and the Pro900s, but the bass more than makes up for it.  I guess this makes me a basshead?

Anyways, I also have an opportunity to pick up some Denon D7000s for around 600.  A friend is offering me them at a steal of a price with barely any use on them.  He's not local so I cannot test them beforehand.

Please bear in mind, I like the bass on the Pro 900s. At this point, I am happy.  But for $150 more, I can get the D7000s.  I do a lot of gaming, a lot of TV / movies, and a lot of hip hop / rock.  I also like classical rock.

My question to Head-FIers, are the legendary D7000s really that big of a jump up in quality while keeping the nice solid bass that the Pros offer?  I know the PROs are not even burned in yet, and chances are I will only end up liking them more, but will I regret not picking up the D7000s later on should I get a chance to test them? 

Thanks for any guidance you can give :)

May 4, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm going to start my post by saying I haven't heard the D7000.  But, when I saw your question, I thought of it from a slightly different perspective than you, namely a purely fiscal perspective.  Assuming you have $600 in disposable liquid funds, I don't see why you shouldn't buy the D7000 for $600.  If you like them, you keep them.  If you don't, I doubt you'd have any problem selling them on the FS forum for that price.

May 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 11
Yeah, I will go ahead and get them from him.  Poor pocket book.  The motto serves this hobby well...

It's magical the differences you can find in headphones, ranging from cheap to expensive, and I'm very happy that I found this hobby cause it's completely changed the experience for me and music.

If any one has experience specifically around the pros / cons between the D7000 and the Pro 900s, please share your input.  I'm searching the forum but love first hand experience from someone who has owned both.

May 4, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 11
Unless you've got good ears.. jumping up the ladder slowly with new cans will make it difficult to tell between SQ.

SQ In my VERY HUMBLE opinion improves almost logarithmically. Once you hit a certain price range.. the SQ improvement threshold gets very narrow.. and sometimes very subjective.. (even sometimes supplemented by visual aid) Lets say I hit jackpot and paid a fortune for a set of Ultrasone 8's or 10's... I will be compelled to believe that I own the greatest piece of personal audio hardware there is. Of course the amazing looks of the cans will help 'create' the amazing feeling. But I doubt I can safely claim that they sound better than a HD800 or the D7000s when put to the test. I just WANT mine to be better, therefore my brain tells me they are...

There will be of course.. a world of difference when the ATH ad700 is compared to the flagship kings..

ps: your jump in the headphone audiophillia is very very steep!! you must not yet have a girlfriend :p

ps2: The Fiio's have bass boost function..  3 settings to that..  wont that help with the bass??? or are you really looking for natural..  unadultered bass

May 4, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi,

I am extremely sorry if I seem to be trolling but sometime ago, I saw a thread by a member in which He reviewed some 50-52 headphones. I treid 'Googling' but can't find it. In that review, he gave Audio Technica ATH M50 9 out of 10. Can anyone please give me a link to that thread? Or any thread where there is a review of !!! a large number of headphones in a single thread!!!

Thank you for your time.

May 4, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 11
LOL, yeah, that's the same thing I am thinking in regards to "price = SQ".  I do not see how the D7000s can be $200 more valuable SQ-wise than the PROs - which, overall, blow all the other headphones I've tried to date out of the water IMO.  I guess it's that question that drives me to find out?

I am very happy with the Pro 900s out of the box but seeing as how the D7000s are normally 1000$ and I can get them for $200 more than what I've already paid, it's definitely more obtainable at the moment than it would be at a later date.  Unless I too hit the jackpot, I would never spend 1k on a set of headphones unless I did this for a living.  I have, however, spent $400 but it's really only $200 for them after I sold the headphones that I got for free.

I'm also cursed by nature to want the best when it's worth its value.  As far as the girlfriend, I'm actually married but she's understanding and lets me have my hobbies.  I used to be in to used cars (engine-swaps, etc.) which cost way more than any hobby I have at the moment so she's fine with it.  Plus I have a lot of "toys" such as paintball guns, car speakers, etc. that I sell on ebay to recoup the cost of my new toys. :)

As for the bass, I like the bass the Pros provide.  I was not satisifed with the DT880/600ohm bass, though the quality was there, the "umph" was not.  The same goes for the AD700s.

May 4, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 11
I want your life I want your job I want your wife :)
start feeling paranoid now....

lol

sell all your stuff..   buy the very best!!  and forever hold your piece..

I understand how u think JUST BECAUSE its a steal, its too hard to resist!! in fact..  this entire forum and community is based on this one particular feeling you feel..  lol.. 

be a man..  do the right thing.... 

ps: try the HD800's by sennheiser

May 4, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
LOL, yeah, that's the same thing I am thinking in regards to "price = SQ".  I do not see how the D7000s can be $200 more valuable SQ-wise than the PROs - which, overall, blow all the other headphones I've tried to date out of the water IMO.  I guess it's that question that drives me to find out?

I am very happy with the Pro 900s out of the box but seeing as how the D7000s are normally 1000$ and I can get them for $200 more than what I've already paid, it's definitely more obtainable at the moment than it would be at a later date.  Unless I too hit the jackpot, I would never spend 1k on a set of headphones unless I did this for a living.  I have, however, spent $400 but it's really only $200 for them after I sold the headphones that I got for free.

I'm also cursed by nature to want the best when it's worth its value.  As far as the girlfriend, I'm actually married but she's understanding and lets me have my hobbies.  I used to be in to used cars (engine-swaps, etc.) which cost way more than any hobby I have at the moment so she's fine with it.  Plus I have a lot of "toys" such as paintball guns, car speakers, etc. that I sell on ebay to recoup the cost of my new toys. :)

As for the bass, I like the bass the Pros provide.  I was not satisifed with the DT880/600ohm bass, though the quality was there, the "umph" was not.  The same goes for the AD700s.

From what I've understood, the D7000s are a more balanced set of headphones, while the Pro 900s do emphasize bass and treble, similar to a v shaped curve. Keep in mind that due to the nature of the materials that the drivers of the Pro 900 are made of, they do benefit from burning in, as they're quite stiff out of the box. I've been listening to mine for over 50 hours, and they have been improving, tightening the sound quite a bit.

What I'm trying to say is that there has been people who had Pro 900s, sold them, then bought new pairs just to get that unique bass that's characteristic of Ultrasone, and more specifically the Pro 900. So, if you often listen to music of which bass is an integral part of it, or just enjoy bass in your day to day listenings, perhaps Pro 900 is a keeper. But you could pop by the Pro 900 appreciation thread and see a few opinions of users who own both the Pro 900 and the D7000.

EDIT: Just read the post before mine. HD800 might be interesting, if you enjoyed the whole AD700 experience, as they seem to be quite light in bass, quite light indeed.

May 4, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Hi,

I am extremely sorry if I seem to be trolling but sometime ago, I saw a thread by a member in which He reviewed some 50-52 headphones. I treid 'Googling' but can't find it. In that review, he gave Audio Technica ATH M50 9 out of 10. Can anyone please give me a link to that thread? Or any thread where there is a review of !!! a large number of headphones in a single thread!!!

Thank you for your time.

I think you want this thread.

May 4, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
I eyed the D2000s, the D5000s, and the D7000s (these were out of my price range.  I came across the Ultrasone PRO 900s.  I read as many reviews as I could find on the Denons vs the Pros.  The Pros were far cheaper, though still expensive, and seemed to have a lot of positive feedback behind them from Head-fi and other sites.  So I bit the bullet and ordered them.

They arrived today and already I am impressed.  It has the bass that I want.  I love it.  I can tell the difference in attention to detail between the DT880s and the Pro900s, but the bass more than makes up for it.  I guess this makes me a basshead?

Anyways, I also have an opportunity to pick up some Denon D7000s for around 600.  A friend is offering me them at a steal of a price with barely any use on them.  He's not local so I cannot test them beforehand.

Please bear in mind, I like the bass on the Pro 900s. At this point, I am happy.  But for $150 more, I can get the D7000s.  I do a lot of gaming, a lot of TV / movies, and a lot of hip hop / rock.  I also like classical rock.

My question to Head-FIers, are the legendary D7000s really that big of a jump up in quality while keeping the nice solid bass that the Pros offer?  I know the PROs are not even burned in yet, and chances are I will only end up liking them more, but will I regret not picking up the D7000s later on should I get a chance to test them? 

Thanks for any guidance you can give :)

D7000 are quite nice for closed headphones.  They are not neutral by any stretch- their bass is intense (but well controlled & refined) and can literally hurt  my eyeballs.  But it seems that is something you want.  Be warned, they also have fairly intense treble, giving them a V frequency signature with fairly lacking mids for a flagship headphone.  For such a low price, they might be worth it, you could always sell them as sridhar3 mentions.  Haven't heard the 900 but I find Ultrasone Ed 8 to be a superior headphone to the D7000.

May 4, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

D7000 are quite nice for closed headphones.  They are not neutral by any stretch- their bass is intense (but well controlled & refined) and can literally hurt  my eyeballs.  But it seems that is something you want.  Be warned, they also have fairly intense treble, giving them a V frequency signature with fairly lacking mids for a flagship headphone.  For such a low price, they might be worth it, you could always sell them as sridhar3 mentions.  Haven't heard the 900 but I find Ultrasone Ed 8 to be a superior headphone to the D7000.

If I didn't know you were talking about the D7000s, I'd safely assume you were talking about the Pro 900s, as that's a very good description of the Pro 900's sound
biggrin.gif

Owners of both D7000 and Pro 900 report that the D7000 is more balanced, and while having quality bass, it doesn't reach what the Pro 900 can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back