n00b experimenting with open headphones / open cans (considering sub $200 Grado's, Senn's, ATH AD700, ATH AD900, AKG's, Beyer's...)
Jan 21, 2011 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Farelistic

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I found this forum when I was looking for an alternative to the HYPED Monster Beats phones. Suggestions to try the Ultrasone HFI-580's kept popping up, I scored a pair, and I'm in LOVE.

Now, I'd like to expand and experiment with some open headphones. I listen to a random mix of original soundtracks, pop, hip-hop, R&B, orchestral stuff, some techno, rap, rock, alternative, etc. I'd specifically like to try a pair of cans as DIFFERENT from my Ultrasone HFI-580's as possible. I'd like to note that this is NOT from dissatisfaction with my HFI's but from the desire to learn more about the audiophile realm =].

Also, I'm saving up for an amp, nothing big but I'm eyeing the iBasso D4

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 7
I think the Audio Technica AD700s would be very different from your 580s.  I haven't tried the 580s, although I did have the 780s, and I understand the 580s have more bass.  The AD700s would be described by a lot of people as bass-light, including me.  There's not a whole lot of impact to them.  But they're very airy (without being overly bright) and they have an awesome soundstage.  They're also very comfortable and lightweight, not clampy like the Ultrasones.  You can find them for about $100.

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Marximus!! Man, this thread is getting no love, haha. I've been giving it some thought though- Maybe I'll pick up a Fostex T50RP and jump on that orthodynamic, planar hype

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 7
Maybe you could try the HD555/HD558s--GREAT cans, the soundstage is amazing, and completely immersive, especially for music like classical and trance.  But they are well suited for many other types of music, and some say they are more versatile than the AD700.  But you would do good to listen to them both if you can.  Those two are awesome suggestions for the <$200 range.

The HD555 and 558s have a characteristic midrange warmth that really gives vocals and guitars and anything else in the midrange new life.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 7

Maybe you could try the HD555/HD558s--GREAT cans, the soundstage is amazing, and completely immersive, especially for music like classical and trance.  But they are well suited for many other types of music, and some say they are more versatile than the AD700.  But you would do good to listen to them both if you can.  Those two are awesome suggestions for the <$200 range.

The HD555 and 558s have a characteristic midrange warmth that really gives vocals and guitars and anything else in the midrange new life.

Mmmm that sounds like they'll complement/offset my HFI-580's well, seeing as, although the 580 mids are fine, they don't excel as well as they do with lows and highs. Ahhh, I love my HFI's V eq =]

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 7
I can tell you that my headphone history goes like this:
got PX100s, broke them
HD555, sold them
M50, broke them

I had to lose all three TT___TT

But when I got my M50s after selling my HD555s, I realized that I had made a mistake; I really missed the midrange of the HD555, and the soundstage... THE SOUNDSTAGE...  The M50s were awesome for many, many types of music, (the V shaped FR really does well with bands and stuff) but they made me lose my taste for classical and solo acoustic because they couldn't match the HD555s' warm midrange and soundstage.

I am now onto my next set of cans, which are the HD558s and the Sunrise SW-Xcape IEMS.  I would get the M50s again but I don't like the idea of getting the same thing twice.  Like you, I am trying to go for a complimentary route.  I'd imagine the 555/558 and 580 would be a great combo.

Wait, crap.  Now that I recount it all, I've spent 462 dollars on headphones. What!!!
I hope this doesn't get worse as I get older... damn you head-fi!!

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 7
Hahahaha, headphones do that to people here apparently. If I get over my impulse to get a T50RP, and once i score an iBasso D4, maybe I'll pick up a pair.

Btw nice to meet someone else whose gateway drug to this madness was an entry level pair of Senn's =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back