My Short Denon AH-D2000 Review (Compared to HD650s)
Dec 6, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 88
am i the only one who didnt get the wow effect when using the denon d2k?

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #17 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i the only one who didnt get the wow effect when using the denon d2k?

No, Boomana didn't eather
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 88
I don't really get it.

Even at 25ohms, it should need a good amp to drive it to its full yeah? But there is a number of people whom I have read to be satisfied using the Denons with a DAP or portable amp..

Probably it sounds okay but does it do them justice??

I have been using the Denons with various sources plus a Mini^3 amp.
During heavy passages, everything sounds a little cramped up and the vocals gets drown by the background music...

Is it the amp, the music itself, the Denons or me??

Dec 7, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #19 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really get it.

Even at 25ohms, it should need a good amp to drive it to its full yeah? But there is a number of people whom I have read to be satisfied using the Denons with a DAP or portable amp..

Probably it sounds okay but does it do them justice??

I have been using the Denons with various sources plus a Mini^3 amp.
During heavy passages, everything sounds a little cramped up and the vocals gets drown by the background music...

Is it the amp, the music itself, the Denons or me??

They get alot better with an amp, but they sound good without, it's all up to the soundquality of the dap. All headphones gets better with an amp though, my ksc-75 really transforms when I'm using them with my amp for example.

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #20 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, Boomana didn't eather
tongue.gif

glad im not alone
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #22 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another issue I have with the D2000s is that at times, they seem to be too bright.

The D5000 would solve all your problems. They are more natural sounding.

You are comparing Sennheiser's top-of-the-line model to Denon's middle model. And already you give them a 9/10. Compare oranges to oranges (D5000 to HD650) and I'm pretty sure you'd give the D5000 a rating of 12/10.

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #23 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D5000 would solve all your problems. They are more natural sounding.

You are comparing Sennheiser's top-of-the-line model to Denon's middle model. And already you give them a 9/10. Compare oranges to oranges (D5000 to HD650) and I'm pretty sure you'd give the D5000 a rating of 12/10.

I have heard that D5000 is brighter, having more treble.

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #24 of 88
Quote:

I have heard that D5000 is brighter, having more treble.

It has accurate treble. Whether or not that is too high for you is up to your ears. The D5000 are the most natural, balanced sounding headphones I have ever listened to (which is why I no longer own any other pair). They don't have too much or too little of anything in my opinion. Some people feel that the bass is on the powerful side, but I just don't think they are familiar with how music is supposed to sound. The bass on the D5000 is not boomy or muffled, it is realistic.

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #25 of 88
At least for the D5000, I and several others here found the bass to be spectacular BUT the midrange to be problematic. At moderate to low volumes, there's a dip in frequency around 500Hz, which makes low tenor to baritone voices sound pushed back and weak. Additionally, there's a subtle, strange coloration in the mids that some of us have mentioned but haven't been able to articulate properly - sort of a subtle electronic-grainy sound.

As an active singer and bass player, I'd say that the bass is authentic and real, the mids are not.

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 88
Quote:

They get alot better with an amp, but they sound good without, it's all up to the soundquality of the dap. All headphones gets better with an amp though, my ksc-75 really transforms when I'm using them with my amp for example.

Well, I guess I was referring to their Sound Signature, the slightly recessed mids.

Anyone tried the Denons with a Gilmore Lite?

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #27 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by spectaculartimes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least for the D5000, I and several others here found the bass to be spectacular BUT the midrange to be problematic. At moderate to low volumes, there's a dip in frequency around 500Hz, which makes low tenor to baritone voices sound pushed back and weak. Additionally, there's a subtle, strange coloration in the mids that some of us have mentioned but haven't been able to articulate properly - sort of a subtle electronic-grainy sound.

As an active singer and bass player, I'd say that the bass is authentic and real, the mids are not.

I have not heard a D5000 but I suppose the mids are the same as with the D2000s, which I am using.

Regarding the issue of it between moderate and low volumes, I agree with you . To me, it only sounds the best above moderate volumes which I feel isn't the best volume to be heard at at all times. Below that volume, the sound quality suffers. But again, it might be my portable amp, Mini^3, which is not up to the mark, or my source. XD

The mids are not very smooth and perhaps grainy with some tracks. I wish the mids were better...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back