My Short Denon AH-D2000 Review (Compared to HD650s)
Jan 11, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #34 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mids are not very smooth and perhaps grainy with some tracks. I wish the mids were better...
frown.gif

It is entirely possible that hose individual tracks are actually recorded that way -- no fault of the cans for letting you hear what is on the track.
I have heard MANY CD's with wide variations between the various tracks -- both in volume and SQ and dynamic range.
Some tracks are from different mixers and different master tapes, and are therefore different-sounding -- and the D2000 lets you HEAR the differences -- that's the beauty of these cans.
I haven't found any frequency-response faults in My Denons yet, and they have been through maybe 100+ different CD's already -- when I hear a strange track, I try another can, to compare, and sure enough, it's the TRACK that has "weirdness", not the D2000.

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #35 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is entirely possible that hose individual tracks are actually recorded that way -- no fault of the cans for letting you hear what is on the track.
I have heard MANY CD's with wide variations between the various tracks -- both in volume and SQ and dynamic range.
Some tracks are from different mixers and different master tapes, and are therefore different-sounding -- and the D2000 lets you HEAR the differences -- that's the beauty of these cans.
I haven't found any frequency-response faults in My Denons yet, and they have been through maybe 100+ different CD's already -- when I hear a strange track, I try another can, to compare, and sure enough, it's the TRACK that has "weirdness", not the D2000.

x2

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #36 of 88
I have a portable amp and the mids on the dennon sounded lousy at first. Like what I read others saying it sounds like, grainy or to me I used the word plastic. but after 2 weeks and switching to low gain on my amp, the mids sound just right to me now.
wink.gif

It all sounds very smooth now and bass as well as mids are best I ever heard. I am considering the Markl mod now but am so pleased with the sound already. I also have a slew of can's to compare, including sr225, dt990, k701, ms1, dt880, hd580 and a few more hehehe and these are my favorite for now.

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #37 of 88
Sorry to bump an old thread, but just wanted to thank the OP for his review. After waffling on what cans to get, I finally settled on the D2000's. I had actually placed an order for some open cans (ATH-AD900's) yesterday, but I ended up cancelling the order b/c of the aforementioned waffling. I found a great deal on the D2000's (~$228 USD, incl expedited shipping) at Amazon & several reviews such as this one helped me to pull the trigger. Hate being so wishy-washy, but these will be the first "real" headphones I've ever bought, so I am being a bit overly cautious...

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #39 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bump an old thread, but just wanted to thank the OP for his review. After waffling on what cans to get, I finally settled on the D2000's. I had actually placed an order for some open cans (ATH-AD900's) yesterday, but I ended up cancelling the order b/c of the aforementioned waffling. I found a great deal on the D2000's (~$228 USD, incl expedited shipping) at Amazon & several reviews such as this one helped me to pull the trigger. Hate being so wishy-washy, but these will be the first "real" headphones I've ever bought, so I am being a bit overly cautious...

Keep in mind that the OP sold his D2000's
frown.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #40 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that the OP sold his D2000's
frown.gif

Yeah I know...but hell, we all want to upgrade at some point for almost everything we buy. I don't NECESSARILY see that as an indictment of these cans.... Of course, the truth will be in the pudding once I actually receive mine & give them a good listen. Given that I can't actually audition most of these headphones given where I live, I rely on reviews to help steer me. I also have to admit that Denon is a brand that I recognize & respect in general...hopefully it isn't misplaced.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #41 of 88
It's interesting for me to read threads like this one. I picked up my D2000's used and already recabled with APureSound V2 cable, so I don't hear any of the issues that people raise with their D2000's.

These headphones pair very nicely with my Woo Audio 6, and sound great with all the different types of music that I listen to, and I listen to many different genres. They are excellent for rock, jazz, classical, blues, bluegrass, electronica, just about anything I throw at them really.

Now, I consider myself more of a musicphile than an audiophile, so take my comments for what you will. But I do have a trained ear (jazz studies), and there are times when I listen to frequency response from an analytical perspective, and I find absolutely no significant deficiencies with "my" headphones.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #43 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

The pair I heard had flabby bass with mediocre mids and highs. People can really think that differently about the same pair of headphones?
confused.gif

What was the source/amp that they were plugged into? Even the D5000 sounded a bit like this to me when I listened to them coming straight out an Apogee Mini Dac. But, when they went from the dac into a Yamamoto, they were sublime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back