My iem love affair so far,SM3,triple fi 10,ie7,ie8,se420,custom3, eq7,westone 3,monster pro copper / golds,se530,pioneer se-clx9
May 30, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #392 of 651
Thanks lucozade for your detailed response.  The SM3 sounds promising.  It appears that EarSonics is in the process of redressing a problem with the casing.  I'll wait and see how that is resolved before considering "shelling out" for a pair.  

May 30, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #393 of 651
I think that with my Sony NWZ-A816, the SM3 sounds a little too warm at times, but that depends on the music. It is a very revealing IEM and it just reveals the somewhat sloppy bass response of the Sony player and also a certain lack of dynamic range and a rather small soundstage. With my Sansa Clip, the SM3 brutally reveals the players weak resolving ability and also the sloppy bass and poor stereo separation. So far it sounds best with my Samsung players - the U2 and T9. They are more neutral than the Sony and more refined sounding with better channel separation than the Clip and SM3 lets you hear all those strengths easily.

May 31, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #394 of 651
I just want to drop in and say this is an AWESOME thread. Really educational and a fun read. Kudos to the OP.

Lucozade, i dont know if its already been asked, but youve already tried almost every high end universal IEM there is....do you see a jump to the customs bandwagon soon? arent you the LEAST bit intrigued by the JH16 and its ilk?

The man owns almost every high end universal iem there is, so you definitely cant accuse him of bias or fanboyism :wink:

May 31, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #395 of 651
This is a great thread luco buddy! Keep up the interesting way you convey to us your discoveries and findings with your vast array of audio gear. Speaking of, heard any interesting blues or 70s rock yet. You may have surpassed me in your constant search for great music in those genres...lol. Happy listening.

May 31, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #396 of 651

Quote:
This is a great thread luco buddy! Keep up the interesting way you convey to us your discoveries and findings with your vast array of audio gear. Speaking of, heard any interesting blues or 70s rock yet. You may have surpassed me in your constant search for great music in those genres...lol. Happy listening.

Hello ericp buddy, Yes my music collection has grown quite a bit lately ,especially with 70s rock , I am now into ,LED ZEPPELIN , DEEP PURPLE , GRATEFUL DEAD, RAINBOW, NAZARETH, URIHA HEEP, JETHRO TULL, ,THE OUTLAWS, BLACKFOOT, MOLLY HATCHETT , YES,  these are some of my favorites at the moment .

May 31, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #397 of 651
As for customs , i don't think so , don't think i would like to spend so much on a single ear phone , i feel much happier spending smaller  amounts on  high end universals and having a large selection of sound signatures to vary how i hear my music rather than just one  And to be honest most of them sound pretty darn good and i have got to draw the line somewhere otherwise id end up with half a dozen or more customs given enough time as there are always better customs coming out with more drivers etc, just like universals                       
popcorn.gif
 And for now i am very happy with my SM3 and how they sound.

Quote:
I just want to drop in and say this is an AWESOME thread. Really educational and a fun read. Kudos to the OP.

Lucozade, i dont know if its already been asked, but youve already tried almost every high end universal IEM there is....do you see a jump to the customs bandwagon soon? arent you the LEAST bit intrigued by the JH16 and its ilk?

The man owns almost every high end universal iem there is, so you definitely cant accuse him of bias or fanboyism :wink:

May 31, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #398 of 651
I wonder how much of difference anyone would notice from super expensive universal like JH13/16 if upgrade from high-end universal like sm3/westone3/fx700. Would it bring wow factor like upgrading from ibud to high-end universal?Otherwise, I don't think extra +500$ price tag wouldn't be justified.

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #399 of 651
@Lucozade: how much of an improvement is the SM3 over the MTPC, with regards to SQ alone?

Reading all these glorious reviews on the SM3 is making me very tempted to get a pair as well. But with limited funds, the MTPC will have to go first before I can place an order for the SM3...

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #400 of 651

Well the coppers are really nice but they don't really offer anything that the SM3 can not do better ,the SM3 has much larger soundscape, brighter more sparkly tingly treble , the midrange is more lush and full sounding , bass is just as powerful impactful and hard hitting , there is more space around instrements .

IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE I WOULD CHOOSE THE SM3 WITHOUT HESITATION 
Quote:
@Lucozade: how much of an improvement is the SM3 over the MTPC, with regards to SQ alone?

Reading all these glorious reviews on the SM3 is making me very tempted to get a pair as well. But with limited funds, the MTPC will have to go first before I can place an order for the SM3...

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #401 of 651

Quote:
I wonder how much of difference anyone would notice from super expensive universal like JH13/16 if upgrade from high-end universal like sm3/westone3/fx700. Would it bring wow factor like upgrading from ibud to high-end universal?Otherwise, I don't think extra +500$ price tag wouldn't be justified.

the difference is there but only if your source is good.

the IE8s are already pretty demanding on mp3s e.g. I will not listen to 128kbps mp3s because the difference between that and a 192kbps is noticeable but beyond, the difference is not as startling.

However, I've tested the JH13s and it just made everything even more obvious so you really need to make sure that you run things out of a good source in order to capture the quality of the JH13s, but basically, I still preferred my IE8s. I like the idea of the JH13s, but if you don't have the equipment to support it, it's pointless. if I'm not wrong only the higher bit rates of mp3s sounded decent with the JH13s, but other than that, it just killed the enjoyment factor.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #402 of 651

Quote:
Well the coppers are really nice but they don't really offer anything that the SM3 can not do better ,the SM3 has much larger soundscape, brighter more sparkly tingly treble , the midrange is more lush and full sounding , bass is just as powerful impactful and hard hitting , there is more space around instrements .

IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE I WOULD CHOOSE THE SM3 WITHOUT HESITATION 

I was afraid of hearing that reply...

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #404 of 651
lucozade-

The bass on the SM3's is just as deep and impactful as the Coppers? Wow. I can't wait to get my pair in then. These seem as though they will finally be a BA earphone which I can enjoy fully. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #405 of 651
  You need deep insertion and duel or triple flange tips to get the full benefit off the bass.impact

I am listening to a GREATFUL DEAD concert as i type this and i just love the lower bass rumble i get on these and the upper and mid bass is tight and punchy  ,there bass player really puts down some solid bass lines 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back