Musician Audio Aquarius R2R DAC
Jan 28, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #76 of 137
I now have an Aquarius DAC. When setting up the i2s connection for my CD-transport, I have found that 4 of the 8 options have the correct left-right channel orientation. So, which of those 4 options is the perfectly correct choice?
On my Pegasus I used AES and I2S simultaneously with AES as reference to hear if there was something obviously wrong with the I2S sound. There wasn't, so I made the assumption it was working as intended.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #77 of 137
On my Pegasus I used AES and I2S simultaneously with AES as reference to hear if there was something obviously wrong with the I2S sound. There wasn't, so I made the assumption it was working as intended.
I cannot understand the logic of using the AES input as a reference because I expect the i2S to be the best input (based on previous experience with other DACs). If it produces equivalent sound quality as the AES, that only means that the i2S input selected was only as good as the AES connection. It doesn't mean that another one of the four i2s inputs (that have the correct left-right orientation) couldn't be better and actually be the optimum i2S input.

Jeff.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #78 of 137
You're correct in that AES and I2S don't sound the same, with I2S having a cleaner sound. This was of course very noticeable in my tests, especially with headphones like HD 800. But I used AES as reference because it was guaranteed to be correct, whereas an imperfect I2S signal would have obvious problems in comparison to AES.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #79 of 137
You're correct in that AES and I2S don't sound the same, with I2S having a cleaner sound. This was of course very noticeable in my tests, especially with headphones like HD 800. But I used AES as reference because it was guaranteed to be correct, whereas an imperfect I2S signal would have obvious problems in comparison to AES.
Of the 4 i2s options that have the correct left-right orientation, they all sound clear and free of distortion. However, common sense suggests that there must be at least one of those 4 options that is most perfectly matched. Musician should publish the 8 options in terms of pin configuration so that I can check which option perfectly matches my Jays Audio CD2 Mk 3 transport's pin configuration, which is presently set to the PS Audio standard.

Holo Audio offers 4 configurations for their Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC, which they precisely define - https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/spring-3-dac (see bottom of that webpage).

Jeff.

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #80 of 137
Holo Audio offers 4 configurations for their Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC, which they precisely define - https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/spring-3-dac (see bottom of that webpage).
Musician have similar info on the Pegasus product page, all the way at the bottom http://www.musician-audio.com/en/col.jsp?id=122 but no such clear info on the Aquarius page. If you mail them, they will probably give you the information and update the Aquarius product page. I've found Musician support to be responsive, although their mail always shows up in my spam folder. The lack of precise pin information could be a simple oversight. For example, I noticed a lack of information on the difference between the two I2S ports.

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #81 of 137
Musician have similar info on the Pegasus product page, all the way at the bottom http://www.musician-audio.com/en/col.jsp?id=122 but no such clear info on the Aquarius page. If you mail them, they will probably give you the information and update the Aquarius product page. I've found Musician support to be responsive, although their mail always shows up in my spam folder. The lack of precise pin information could be a simple oversight. For example, I noticed a lack of information on the difference between the two I2S ports.
Thanks for the link. I presume that the 8 options are the same for the Aquarius. Option 5 matches my Jays Audio CD-transport.

Jeff.

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #82 of 137
With the vast verity of brands I would recommend taking the time to listen to what inputs and outputs perform best with any particular mixed combination’s of brands .
In my particular case the Aquarius i2s pin out was plug and play with my Rockna server which Musician Audio also includes pin out compatibility with PS Audio.
Rockna Audio recommends i2s with their product line where as other manufacturers like for example Holo Audio use high quality USB board in their dacs .

Attachments

• 390EB195-B8C1-4AA1-947D-096987A11DF4.jpeg
    390EB195-B8C1-4AA1-947D-096987A11DF4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #83 of 137
Thanks for the link. I presume that the 8 options are the same for the Aquarius. Option 5 matches my Jays Audio CD-transport.

Jeff.
I cannot understand how to correlate the red light combinations with those 8 options during the i2S setup process. In other words, how do I choose option 5 by repeatedly pressing the phase button, which causes different red lights to light-up in different combinations?

Jeff.

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #84 of 137
I cannot understand how to correlate the red light combinations with those 8 options during the i2S setup process. In other words, how do I choose option 5 by repeatedly pressing the phase button, which causes different red lights to light-up in different combinations?

Jeff.
I have another question about setting the i2s options.

I have attached the option table for the Pegasus DAC.

Note that the LRCLK changes channel orientation with every sequential option in their 1 => 8 sequence. However, when I actually try going through the options with my Aquarius DAC, there are 4 options in sequence that have the correct channel orientation followed by 4 options where the channels are reversed. That suggests to me that the options are sequenced differently to the Pegasus table of options.

What do you find?

Jeff.

Attachments

• MusicianAquariusi2s.jpg
    MusicianAquariusi2s.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #85 of 137
What is wrong with a different sequence?

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #87 of 137
How would I know which option in the different sequence best matches my Jays Audio CD2 Mk3 Transport's i2s output?

Jeff.
From Jays manual, fig. #2, but I am getting lost.
Expensive product, they should have good support. Send them a table from Aquarius manual, let them advise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220202_184432_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20220202_184432_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 3, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #88 of 137
Another question about the Aquarius.

In their product literature, they state that only one output (either RCA or XLR) should be used. They state that if another headphone amplifier is connected to the other output that it will affect the sound quality even if that other headphone amplifier is off.

Has any Aquarius Owner tested that assertion by attaching another headphone amplifier to the other output and seeing whether its presence affects the sound quality if it's off (non-operational)?

Jeff.

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #89 of 137

In their product literature, they state that only one output (either RCA or XLR) should be used. They state that if another headphone amplifier is connected to the other output that it will affect the sound quality even if that other headphone amplifier is off.

Has any Aquarius Owner tested that assertion by attaching another headphone amplifier to the other output and seeing whether its presence affects the sound quality if it's off (non-operational)?

Jeff.
You don't need this. If they say, it is not allowed, don't even try.

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #90 of 137

Jeff.
This response is not specific to the Aquarius, but in general output connection to multiple devices does affect the load on the source device since it is seeing the loads in parallel whether or not the devices are powered on or off. This could be avoided if the source device allowed you to select which output is active and disconnected the other output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back