Musician Audio Aquarius R2R DAC
Feb 5, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #92 of 137
This could be avoided if the source device allowed you to select which output is active and disconnected the other output.
Or if both outputs had independent active buffers. No need of switching outputs. It is one tradeoff of chosing passive output. Transformers come to my mind, but it is expensive and sound degradation is eminent.

Feb 16, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #93 of 137
I contacted Musician Audio with questions about how to choose the correct i2s mode setting among the 8 options.

They told me that the 8 mode options were the same as the Pegasus model - see attached jpg.

They also sent me another table showing how the LED lights relate to the 8 mode options - see attached jpg.

According to the first table, I should be choosing mode 5 because that is the PS Audio standard used by my two CD transports (Jays Audio CDT2 MK3 and PS Audio PWT). However when I chose option 5 by choosing "single red light on at the 4x position" the channels were reversed.

Also, when I looked at that 1st table, the LRCLK settings change sequentially from positive to negative with each sequential option mode. However, my Aquarius unit does not have that alternating sequence. When I try the 8 options, option modes 1, 2, 3 and 4 have the channels correct while option modes 5, 6, 7 and 8 have the channels reversed.

Finally, I received these instructions from Musician Audio- "Regarding the combination of 8 modes and red lights, please check the attached image. Aquarius can be compatible with most devices through 8 I2S adjustable modes. It is automatically adjusted and allocated according to different devices, without any operation on the pins on Aquarius. In short, if the music you hear is noisy, it means that this mode is not correct, please adjust to the next mode. If there is no noise, it means that the two are compatible, please keep and use this mode with PS Audio."

Note that they advise choosing a mode based on the presence of noise. However, I never hear any noise on any of the 4 mode options (mode options 1, 2, 3 and 4) where the channel orientation is correct. Therefore, choosing an option based on listenting for noise makes no sense to me.

What is your experience with setting the i2s mode on your Aquarius unit?

Jeff.

Attachments

• MusicianAquariusi2s.jpg
    MusicianAquariusi2s.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MusicianAquariusLEDi2s.jpg
    MusicianAquariusLEDi2s.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #94 of 137
Hope everyone is still enjoying their aquarius, since thread has been silent for awhile. Was hoping to get some advice from other owners.

I am a headphone user, and I listen to music primarily on my PC, and ever since I got the dac up and running it has been having random disconnect/reconnect issues, could be fine for 1 hour or only a few minutes, there is no consistent pattern.

It is Usb input using a chroma cables usb b to a straight to my PC, I didnt have this problem with previous dacs, and I've tried nigh everything other than another cable and computer, will be trying both soon.

It is irksome that this is happening and was hoping for any tips I could try before potentially returning the aquarius. Thanks.

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #95 of 137
I am a headphone user, and I listen to music primarily on my PC, and ever since I got the dac up and running it has been having random disconnect/reconnect issues, could be fine for 1 hour or only a few minutes, there is no consistent pattern.
Most likely PC related. Running Musician drivers or Windows built in? It can be old generic TheSycon drivers trying to serve your new DAC with wrong defaults. Uninstall all existing drivers and let Windows use UAC2.0 built in drivers (I assume WIn10 is updated to the latest version or 11). Do it help?

Before installing new Musician drivers unplug USB cable from a DAC. Re-attach only after installation is completed or installator prompts you to do so. It is a generic method, working well with all USB devices.

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #96 of 137
Most likely PC related. Running Musician drivers or Windows built in? It can be old generic TheSycon drivers trying to serve your new DAC with wrong defaults. Uninstall all existing drivers and let Windows use UAC2.0 built in drivers (I assume WIn10 is updated to the latest version or 11). Do it help?

Before installing new Musician drivers unplug USB cable from a DAC. Re-attach only after installation is completed or installator prompts you to do so. It is a generic method, working well with all USB devices.
I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers. but perhaps I need to update to the latest win10 ver, I will be home in a couple hours trying these tips out, ill let you know

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #97 of 137

The first statement stuck with me, so I made extra sure that I uninstalled all the drivers for reinstallation and it turns out a Class and Kernel driver from my first install for the thesycon driver was still sitting there in sys32, which I installed back in feb on the 23rd, I uninstalled those and tried out the built in drivers and it had no interruptions, so im trying out the thesycon driver again and so far its working. Fingers crossed.
Edit.
Welp, I spoke too soon, thesycon driver had the same behavior so reverted back to uac2.0 built in and they did the same, gonna update win10 ver and see if it miraculously fixes it..

Funnily enough, tried another computer and that worked fine without interruption, bringing me back to my main desktop as the problem. Might have to do a clean install.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #98 of 137
Clean install on latest Win10 ver didn't solve it either, any other tips I could try @sajunky ? or anyone else that might have an idea.

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #99 of 137
Clean install on latest Win10 ver didn't solve it either, any other tips I could try @sajunky ? or anyone else that might have an idea.
Still there are couple of options:
- Try different cables. How long is the cable? Check on the shorter cable.
- Attach a ferrite clamp on the USB cable.
- A different USB port? Do not use front ports, only a one on the back. Use 2.0 port if mobo has one.
- Try to use USB 2.0 hub (not 3.0), self-powered works better. If a hub is not MTT type, a DAC should be the only device connected to a hub.

PC related:
- Run DPC latency checker to find out which driver blocks kernel for a long time. Graphics Nvidia drivers frequently give abnormal delays.
- Some PC's perform more smooth with CPU high resolution timer disabled in BIOS. Many PC's do not have such option, then it's usage has to be disabled in Windows.
- Always use bit-perfect transfers (at least for testing). It means WASAPI Exclusive mode or ASIO output. Not a WASAPI Shared / Direct Sound (the worst).
- Check the option for "event mode" in the WASAPI settings.
- If your application do not allow bit-perfect transfers, use such free apps like Foobar 2000 using local files for playback. At least for testing.

That's all it came to my mind.

Mar 7, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #100 of 137
Still there are couple of options:
- Try different cables. How long is the cable? Check on the shorter cable.
- Attach a ferrite clamp on the USB cable.
- A different USB port? Do not use front ports, only a one on the back. Use 2.0 port if mobo has one.
- Try to use USB 2.0 hub (not 3.0), self-powered works better. If a hub is not MTT type, a DAC should be the only device connected to a hub.

PC related:
- Run DPC latency checker to find out which driver blocks kernel for a long time. Graphics Nvidia drivers frequently give abnormal delays.
- Some PC's perform more smooth with CPU high resolution timer disabled in BIOS. Many PC's do not have such option, then it's usage has to be disabled in Windows.
- Always use bit-perfect transfers (at least for testing). It means WASAPI Exclusive mode or ASIO output. Not a WASAPI Shared / Direct Sound (the worst).
- Check the option for "event mode" in the WASAPI settings.
- If your application do not allow bit-perfect transfers, use such free apps like Foobar 2000 using local files for playback. At least for testing.

That's all it came to my mind.
1 cable is 1.5m the other is 2m, the one that is shorter has 2 ferrite chokes on each end that came with it (Chroma Cable), the other has no visible choke (Wireworld), same behavior on either.

Tried front usb ports just to be thorough, and back motherboard ports, with it behaving the same on them all, Red(3.1 Gen 2), Blue (3.1 Gen 1), and Black(2.0). Kept it on the black usb port on the back for the time being.

Latency Checker is showing nvidia kernel with the highest execution time, with kernel mode driver framework (windows) having the most DPC count, but seems my system is in the green and suitable for real-time audio.

Was about to try disabling CPU High Res Timer in BIOS, but it tells me element not found for it in Windows via CMD however so I believe its disabled.

Currently have been playing songs through foobar (ASIO), have also tried enabling/disabling the exclusive mode checkboxes in the properties for the aquarius, it still happens with either. It occurs outside of it too (Watching Videos/Streams, Streaming Spotify, etc)

What is working however is the USB 2.0 hub, self-powered, going on hour 3 with no interruptions, I really don't want to eat my own words again, but we may have a winner. So maybe it was a usb power issue? Still monitoring but I appreciate the help nonetheless @sajunky

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #101 of 137
What is working however is the USB 2.0 hub, self-powered, going on hour 3 with no interruptions, I really don't want to eat my own words again, but we may have a winner. So maybe it was a usb power issue? Still monitoring but I appreciate the help nonetheless @sajunky
Hehehe, you did lot of work, but found it. :)

In such case it needs perhaps more attention to the power distribution. All devices plugged to the same power outlet. If there is more than one power extension, it should be plain multiplugs on a short cable (sans switches, neon lights, surge protectors, magnetic circuit breakers or filters).

PC and a monitor plugs must be close to the USB hub's power supply. Tight these three power cables together. PC is the biggest source of ground loops, a hub works as a buffer and redirects noise to its own power supply. Consider purchasing iDefender from iFi, it gives better protection than ordinary hub.

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #102 of 137
Still using my Aquarius for now and it's a beautiful sounding unit. That said I recently finally gave into to my curiosity with respect to the Accurate Audio D1000 DAC so have that on order. It will be very interesting to see how it compares to the Aquarius. Whichever DAC is better is the one I'll keep in my main system.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #103 of 137
Still using my Aquarius for now and it's a beautiful sounding unit. That said I recently finally gave into to my curiosity with respect to the Accurate Audio D1000 DAC so have that on order. It will be very interesting to see how it compares to the Aquarius. Whichever DAC is better is the one I'll keep in my main system.
Just curious on your thoughts nearly a month in - still liking the Aquarius, or has it been bumped for something else?

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #104 of 137
Just curious on your thoughts nearly a month in - still liking the Aquarius, or has it been bumped for something else?
D1000 is a better sounding unit to my ears. More body and naturalness. Basically a combination of the best traits of the Aquarius and my previous Abbas Audio DAC 2.2SE, but with better frequency extension, body and impact. It just does everything right. My Aquarius was posted to its new owner yesterday. I’m sure they’ll enjoy it as it’s still one of the very best DAC’s I’ve had the pleasure of running. It’s just the D1000 is the very best I’ve ever run. The downside though is that it takes 2x fuses so upgrading to SR Purple was an expensive proposition. Worthwhile nonetheless :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #105 of 137
D1000 is a better sounding unit to my ears. More body and naturalness. Basically a combination of the best traits of the Aquarius and my previous Abbas Audio DAC 2.2SE, but with better frequency extension, body and impact. It just does everything right. My Aquarius was posted to its new owner yesterday. I’m sure they’ll enjoy it as it’s still one of the very best DAC’s I’ve had the pleasure of running. It’s just the D1000 is the very best I’ve ever run. The downside though is that it takes 2x fuses so upgrading to SR Purple was an expensive proposition. Worthwhile nonetheless :wink:
Don't know if you saw, but Synergistic Research is running a buy-2-get-1-free promo through April...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back