Musician Audio Aquarius R2R DAC
May 12, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #121 of 137
IIt was

It was Pegasus (still selling), not Aquarius. If you want something less expensive, look at the Audio GD R-8MK2, around $1700. This is the best value for money at the moment. If you want below $1000, there model R-1 $900.

I was talking about the Accurate Audio D1000. Just commenting that when it was introduced in 2019 it was much cheaper then the price today.

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #123 of 137
I was talking about the Accurate Audio D1000. Just commenting that when it was introduced in 2019 it was much cheaper then the price today.

Yes, no longer cheap though it is a clear step up over anything else I've ever run and with 2x SR Purple installed, and Soundaware D300REF + Afterdark Emperor Double Crown OCXO clock in front it really doesn't put a foot wrong. I'm at a weird place where I'm losing interest in reading thread online as there's really nothing I can improve without a massively larger budget.

Jun 9, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #124 of 137
Checking Aliexpress there are stores selling this DAC with prices ranging significantly between €3k to €4k (Shipping to EU + local VAT included). Is this possible different versions are sold?

Jun 9, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #125 of 137
Checking Aliexpress there are stores selling this DAC with prices ranging significantly between €3k to €4k (Shipping to EU + local VAT included). Is this possible different versions are sold?
There's your problem...

Jul 17, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #126 of 137
Our own humble review of the Musician Audio Aquarius DAC with some comparisons and amplifier pairings observations. This is an easy DAC to pair with most amplifiers for me personally. Lovely natural-sounding performance with plenty of detail.

https://headfonics.com/musician-audio-aquarius-review/

1658055431914.png

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #128 of 137
My review of the Aquarius is here.

DSCF2287.jpg

Skimming this thread, it seems like discussion has sort of died down. Not sure why but this is really a DAC that deserves attention. I was skeptical at first but after spending several months with it, the Andromeda is actually really impressive.

Feb 11, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #131 of 137
I'm the opposite, enjoying the Aquarius more than the Pontius II in most circumstances.

Definitely depends on the rest of the system though, and what sound you are trying to achieve.

Edit - just realized you said Venus... I haven't heard that one yet.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #133 of 137
What are the benefits of adding a DDC (Musician Leo or Phoenix) on top of this stack ?
Maybe this could be overkill.... ?
Audio GD DI-24 or DI-24HE (recommended).

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #134 of 137
In my experience, a good DDC will almost always make at least a small impact on the sound. In many cases it will be an improvement, but of course there are exceptions, and in some cases it comes down to preference rather than a clear improvement.

The Aquarius has a really well sorted USB input and can sound excellent that way. For me, if I'm using it with USB I figure I might as well upsample to DSD as well, which again makes a difference that I personally enjoy.

If not using DSD upsampling, I like to use a good DDC and go with an AES connection. Have not tried the Musician DDCs but they look well done and I trust they are high quality based on my other Musician Audio experience.

Bottom line, the Aquarius is pretty versatile no matter how you feed it. There may be improvement to be had with a matching Musician DDC but it's not a guarantee, so definitely play around with options to see what you like best.

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #135 of 137
It looks like when I'm buying a Musician Audio DAC I won't get any firmware- / driver-updates.
That's why I'm still torn between a Musician Aquarius and a Denafrips Venus II 12th....
As a Denafrips DAC owner I will get regularly those updates.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back