Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Nov 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #2,297 of 4,841
Quote:
But LS8 and JH16 are brighter than EM4?

1. and hows the treble (above 15k) of JH16 and LS8? Is LS8 much brighter than JH16 or just a bit brighter?
I feel that I would be satisfied by JH16's bass, and LS8's treble. But I'm skeptical about JH16's treble and LS8's bass. lol
That's what I'm stuck on deciding.
I kind of want FX700's treble (high peaks) to extend higher/pronounced. 

2. When you mention LS8 is much more 3D than JH16, is that for classical/jazz music? I mainly listen to Rock/Punk rock and a little hip pop and a little pop.
I know hip pop and pop probably won't be very 3D. But not sure for Rock music. I can hear some 3D for FX700, maybe LS8 can make the 3D more apparent?

3. I know the resale of customs is low. For examples. JH16 is selling for $700-$800 on head-fi, considering it's $1150.
But AKG K3003 doesn't sell that well either. It's selling for around $1k. The new price is $1500 and $1200 on eBay.

I can get Rooth LS8 for $830 + 3% fees + $20 shipping, when I contacted Tomo. I guess it's a good deal.

Thanks

1. LS8 has a bigger peak and the treble above that peak is flatter and extends higher than the JH16.  Sounds like you actually want the Hidition NT-6 pro 
very_evil_smiley.gif

2. That is for any music that has depth to the soundstage.  It could be rock, but a lot of pop & hip hop doesn't have it.  It depends on the individual master which varies for just about every album.

3. Sounds like a great deal to me!

Quote:
Joe have you heard the ASG-1? Just wondering for comparisons sake.

Yes I have.  It is a warm smooth IEM with relaxed treble and a spacious, 3D presentation.  Was it up to par with CIEMs I have heard (including the AS-1)?  No.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2,298 of 4,841
Quote:

Yes I have.  It is a warm smooth IEM with relaxed treble and a spacious, 3D presentation.  Was it up to par with CIEMs I have heard (including the AS-1)?  No.

Oh I know, I wasn't asking that. It's just something I own as well and I can use its sound signature as a reference for comparisons between CIEMs you've heard. 

So with that said, how do you think the sound sig compares to the 8.A or the Miracle? Because honestly, the ASG-1 sounds super veiled to me, unless I EQ, so I'd want a custom that doesn't bear much resemblance. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #2,300 of 4,841
Quote:

1. LS8 has a bigger peak and the treble above that peak is flatter and extends higher than the JH16.  Sounds like you actually want the Hidition NT-6 pro 
very_evil_smiley.gif

2. That is for any music that has depth to the soundstage.  It could be rock, but a lot of pop & hip hop doesn't have it.  It depends on the individual master which varies for just about every album.

3. Sounds like a great deal to me!

But NT-6 doesn't have as much bass. I was bass and treble enhancement, as well as not laid back mids.

and I see that reviewed the AKG K3003. From the review, you mentioned that from an iphone, AKG K3003 actually sounds better than JH16. But is that in all areas? like sound quality, presentation, etc.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #2,303 of 4,841
Quote:
Oh I know, I wasn't asking that. It's just something I own as well and I can use its sound signature as a reference for comparisons between CIEMs you've heard. 

So with that said, how do you think the sound sig compares to the 8.A or the Miracle? Because honestly, the ASG-1 sounds super veiled to me, unless I EQ, so I'd want a custom that doesn't bear much resemblance. 

Yes, there is a veil on the ASG-1, which is why, I suppose, the AS-2 and ASG-2 were made.  I don't think the ASG-1 compares with the 8.A or from what I gather, the Miracle, but more like an IE8 with a much more 3D presentation, and more laid back treble.

Quote:
But NT-6 doesn't have as much bass. I was bass and treble enhancement, as well as not laid back mids.

and I see that reviewed the AKG K3003. From the review, you mentioned that from an iphone, AKG K3003 actually sounds better than JH16. But is that in all areas? like sound quality, presentation, etc.

Overall the quality of the presentation is better and sounded more technically proficient, if just by a little bit.

Quote:
Maybe, but the bass isn't enhanced as JH16 or LS8. And the treble is bright but doesn't peak. I actually prefer the treble to peak.

The NT-6 pro isn't on the warm side, but then I wouldn't say the FX700 is really warm either.  The LS8 and JH16 are both warmer than the NT-6 pro, but the NT-6 pro has more deep bass than the LS8 and adjusts with each track more than the other two.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2,304 of 4,841
Hi guys, I just received an upgrade from my em4 to em6, and I'm quite pleased that I've done that. I'll do a bit of comparison here.

The em4 itself is a very pleasing ciem, having great dynamics, nice big soundstage and a very smooth sound while retaining a bright signature. However after some use I tend to feel unsatisfied about the resolution mainly due to the smooth signature and the dip in upper midrange, as stated by Joe. EM4 performs well with most vocals, conveying great smoothness, ambience and emotion. However, When I AB the em4 with other phones, I tend to find the em4's smoothness is a bit overly done to a point that texture and details are smeared. After a bit of emailing with earsonics, I decided to throw a dice and see what would I get from em6.

I just got the EM6 and I am pleased so far. The EM6 retains the signature of em4, being warm and bright in general, but also has some differences to em4. First thing you'll notice on the em6 is the dynamics. I thought the bass on em4 was good, but the bass of em6 is just better: deeper, more slam, more rumble, more power and just a tad more control. The upper midrange dip disappeared, restoring normal instrument placement and slightly thinning down the sound of some female vocals in that region. The highs is like that on the em4, but just a tad more harsh due to the decreased smoothness. The sound along the spectrum has a more defined body, as opposed to the excessive smoothness of em4, giving the sound more grain accompanied by better perceived resolution. The em6 also has a quicker decay. The soundstage on EM6 is smaller, but imaging is better. In general, I think the em6 is suitable for all genres of music while excelling in electronics and rock, em4 is better for vocals and soft jazz. Both suck at classical.

Please note that the comparison is not done under ABing, but I am very aware of how em4 sounds like, given that I've used it for around a year.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #2,305 of 4,841
Quote:
Hi guys, I just received an upgrade from my em4 to em6, and I'm quite pleased that I've done that. I'll do a bit of comparison here.
The em4 itself is a very pleasing ciem, having great dynamics, nice big soundstage and a very smooth sound while retaining a bright signature. However after some use I tend to feel unsatisfied about the resolution mainly due to the smooth signature and the dip in upper midrange, as stated by Joe. EM4 performs well with most vocals, conveying great smoothness, ambience and emotion. However, When I AB the em4 with other phones, I tend to find the em4's smoothness is a bit overly done to a point that texture and details are smeared. After a bit of emailing with earsonics, I decided to throw a dice and see what would I get from em6.
I just got the EM6 and I am pleased so far. The EM6 retains the signature of em4, being warm and bright in general, but also has some differences to em4. First thing you'll notice on the em6 is the dynamics. I thought the bass on em4 was good, but the bass of em6 is just better: deeper, more slam, more rumble, more power and just a tad more control. The upper midrange dip disappeared, restoring normal instrument placement and slightly thinning down the sound of some female vocals in that region. The highs is like that on the em4, but just a tad more harsh due to the decreased smoothness. The sound along the spectrum has a more defined body, as opposed to the excessive smoothness of em4, giving the sound more grain accompanied by better perceived resolution. The em6 also has a quicker decay. The soundstage on EM6 is smaller, but imaging is better. In general, I think the em6 is suitable for all genres of music while excelling in electronics and rock, em4 is better for vocals and soft jazz. Both suck at classical.
Please note that the comparison is not done under ABing, but I am very aware of how em4 sounds like, given that I've used it for around a year.

Thanks for sharing, I hope to hear the EM6 at some point.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #2,306 of 4,841
Dec 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #2,307 of 4,841
Quote:
My Logitech Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitor Review has been posted.

Also, there are some technical difficulties and the information in the first post won't display, but the Huddler team is looking into it.

It looks nice!! I wonder whether UE could beat all JH and UM or not :wink:
And Joe, will you review the frogbeat C4? I heard some nice comment on them and since you have experieced custom the most, I would love to hear from you :D

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2,308 of 4,841
I will be getting a PP6, so I can compare the PRM with that, but not sure I will hear the JH-3A.  I am quite impressed with the PRM.

I am slated to get a Frogbeats C5 for review, but the timeframe is unknown at this time.  While I can't yet speak for Frogbeats, the LCM-5 is an impressive CIEM if you want a neutral sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back