Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Nov 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2,251 of 4,841
Wow, new here and just stumbled across this thread (too rich for my blood, at least on the higher levels). Average_joe, amazing stuff. How the hell do you listen to all those customs?

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2,252 of 4,841
Quote:
I'm a little scared about my impressions. First off, it was only $30. Of course price doesn't always influence quality, but it is something to consider. Second, i was sort of smiling during some parts of the impression because my audiologist was commenting about the drool portion
biggrin.gif
. However, do get the molds out, there was a great deal of twisting that had to be done and it was like taking out a suction cup. Do you think i should take new ones? It was tight when he pulled it out, but im not sure.

How do they feel when you put them back in your ears?  Do they feel tight?  I do think errors can occur when the impression is filled (filling voids) and cut down, plus different manufacturing techniques will give different results.  However, if they took a deep enough impression, you should be fine as that is the biggest issue when taking impressions in my experience.  

Quote:
The suction effect is actually good - it means you got a great fitting impression in the ear canal part.
Twisting obviously depends on your ear canal.

If NT-6 charts are anything to go by, then I'd say they're not too much like ER4S. ER4S is quite mid forward and less 10k bright/sparkly.

I don't listen to charts, I listen to headphones :wink:  I said the NT-6 was the closest because in my ears, it is.  However, it is far superior to the ER4 with better imaging, more detail, dynamics, bass response, etc as well as it having a soundstage.  

Quote:

Are the JH16 or LS8 easier to drive with a Clip+? Also how does the AKG K3003 compare? Thanks so much for your help, I understand you are very busy and put a lot of effort into comparisons and evaluations.

Both are equally as easy to drive from the Clip+.  I did compare the K3003 to the JH16 in my K3003 review thread.

Quote:
Wow, new here and just stumbled across this thread (too rich for my blood, at least on the higher levels). Average_joe, amazing stuff. How the hell do you listen to all those customs?

Thanks!  How do I listen?  One custom at a time!

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #2,253 of 4,841
I just got my first pair of customs (audiophile noob) a couple days ago - Livewire dual drivers. Albeit being the cheapest dual-driver customs, they sound amazing! I see it's not reviewed here, however it is mentioned in the latter part. The price is bumped up to $269 now too. Customer service was great and CEO John Diles did a good job of sticking to his word that these would be made in under three weeks. 

A minor issue is the fit on the right bud. I may have to adjust it by filing down the top part (I apologize for not knowing the nomenclature) so it'll fit snug and flush. Afterwards I'll test out the isolation, and depending whether or not I'm satisfied I'll apply some thin layers of clear nail polish to the stems.
^Filing down the IEM & using nail polish shouldn't be too harmful to the IEM though, right OP?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #2,254 of 4,841

I've read a bit on impressions. and so far, I think my main concern is there might be too little material on the bottom, the place where it is supposed to be cut flat. I wonder if from these photos you can see it clearly. I have already emailed the company but just here for some confirmation :)

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #2,255 of 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't listen to charts, I listen to headphones :wink:  I said the NT-6 was the closest because in my ears, it is.  However, it is far superior to the ER4 with better imaging, more detail, dynamics, bass response, etc as well as it having a soundstage.  

I'd listen to headphones too, but unfortunately, nobody wants to send a demo overseas and while I have relatively large budget, it's not infinite. Especially in terms of taking time to make ear impressions.

I'd wager it has much better everything, mostly because ER4 doesn't have any kind of impact and is much too forward.in both 3k and 6k way, making the soundstage squashed and in-head. Detailing (if ER4 is equalized to be comparable signature, which it almost can be) must certainly be better in the lower registers, since even a single TWFK beats it on this point.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #2,256 of 4,841
Quote:
I just got my first pair of customs (audiophile noob) a couple days ago - Livewire dual drivers. Albeit being the cheapest dual-driver customs, they sound amazing! I see it's not reviewed here, however it is mentioned in the latter part. The price is bumped up to $269 now too. Customer service was great and CEO John Diles did a good job of sticking to his word that these would be made in under three weeks. 

A minor issue is the fit on the right bud. I may have to adjust it by filing down the top part (I apologize for not knowing the nomenclature) so it'll fit snug and flush. Afterwards I'll test out the isolation, and depending whether or not I'm satisfied I'll apply some thin layers of clear nail polish to the stems.
^Filing down the IEM & using nail polish shouldn't be too harmful to the IEM though, right OP?

Thanks in advance.

Ah, LiveWires. Still trying to make their comeback. I love the sound of their products, but they seem to have the same customer service issues over and over. Glad it worked out for you thus far.

People have successfully added layers of nail polish to slightly increase the size of their shells. I don't know how long term of a solution that is though. And I'm not sure about filing them down - with special tools yes, but I don't know what is needed. Since you've had good luck with Diles so far, maybe you can discuss a fix with him? From experience, that's usually where he becomes difficult to get a hold of.

Quote:
I've read a bit on impressions. and so far, I think my main concern is there might be too little material on the bottom, the place where it is supposed to be cut flat. I wonder if from these photos you can see it clearly. I have already emailed the company but just here for some confirmation :)

I think most places tend to want more of the impressions, for the back of the CIEM. That way they know how far the things will stick out of your ear. Also, for the part where the cables attach, so they can line it up and make it not interfere with your ear. But maybe these are still good enough to work with. The canals look pretty good at least.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2,257 of 4,841
average_joe, can you recommend a universal demo, universal, or custom IEM that is similar to the Heir Audio 8.A, except less thick, easy to drive with the Clip+, and available in the US? Thanks. I know you already recommended the JH16, but are there any others I should take note of?

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #2,258 of 4,841
average_joe, can you recommend a universal demo, universal, or custom IEM that is similar to the Heir Audio 8.A, except less thick, easy to drive with the Clip+, and available in the US? Thanks. I know you already recommended the JH16, but are there any others I should take note of?

Project86's review of the V3 seems to indicate that it's a similar sound signature to the 8.A

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #2,259 of 4,841
These past couple of weeks I've been contemplating an upgrade on my current Miles Davis Tribute IEM's. My first decent quality headphones were the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, which I absolutely loved but foolishly gave them away. I got the MD's and I do enjoy them, they have very good sub bass with satisfying rumble, but I really miss the more punchy mid-bass on the HD25. I was first looking into universals and thought I'd found what I wanted in the PFE-232 after hearing so many good reviews. Just before I was going to get them I had a sudden change of heart, and decided to go all out and treat myself with some customs.

After hours of research I've made the following short-list...

Westone ES5
Heir Audio 8.A
JH Audio JH13 Pro
Unique Melody Miracle
Future Sonics MG6Pro

Slightly leaning more towards the first two (I think). I'm looking for a very fun monitor, with very good clean, fast, hard-hitting bass and minimal boom. Something that gives the greatest "wow-factor". I listen to a wide range of music, but mainly soft rock, pop, hiphop, R&B, dance and house with the occasional brain shaking dubstep. 
biggrin.gif

Which monitor do you think would come closest to what I've said so far?

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2,261 of 4,841
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for sharing.  If you have fit issues the best thing to do IMO is get the manufacturer to fix it within the typical 30 day refit window.  You don't want to file/build up yourself and then mess it up or not be able to fix it and void your warranty.  

Quote:

The most important part is the canal, however I have also had issues with the upper concha area being too large.  If there is too little material, it is probably better.  Those look OK to me.  How do they feel when you put them back in your ears?

Quote:

As far as universal demos, I know of the 3.Ai, 4.Ai, Rooth LSX5, and tralucent 1 plus 2.  I believe only the Heir stuff is available in the US and don't have any additional suggestions.  If you contact the manufacturers about making demos for you to buy, I guess the options will be larger.

Quote:
These past couple of weeks I've been contemplating an upgrade on my current Miles Davis Tribute IEM's. My first decent quality headphones were the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, which I absolutely loved but foolishly gave them away. I got the MD's and I do enjoy them, they have very good sub bass with satisfying rumble, but I really miss the more punchy mid-bass on the HD25. I was first looking into universals and thought I'd found what I wanted in the PFE-232 after hearing so many good reviews. Just before I was going to get them I had a sudden change of heart, and decided to go all out and treat myself with some customs.

After hours of research I've made the following short-list...

Westone ES5
Heir Audio 8.A
JH Audio JH13 Pro
Unique Melody Miracle
Future Sonics MG6Pro

Slightly leaning more towards the first two (I think). I'm looking for a very fun monitor, with very good clean, fast, hard-hitting bass and minimal boom. Something that gives the greatest "wow-factor". I listen to a wide range of music, but mainly soft rock, pop, hiphop, R&B, dance and house with the occasional brain shaking dubstep. 
biggrin.gif

Which monitor do you think would come closest to what I've said so far?

As anoxy said, the aud-7X is supposed to sound like the ES5 but with a more capable bass section.  The 8.A has very good bass that should satisfy most people that like dynamic driver bass.  Why the JH13 and not the 16?  FS will have plenty of bass, but there are people on both sides of the fence as to the quality of the FS.  You may also want to check out the i9pro just to be thorough (Metalboy will be receiving one soon, so there will be more info on that CIEM).

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2,262 of 4,841
I'm a little afraid of messing up the mold if I do put it back in. But I'll try. Which is right and which is left?

Quote:

The most important part is the canal, however I have also had issues with the upper concha area being too large.  If there is too little material, it is probably better.  Those look OK to me.  How do they feel when you put them back in your ears?

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #2,263 of 4,841
Quote:
I'm a little afraid of messing up the mold if I do put it back in. But I'll try. Which is right and which is left?

You can't mess them up by putting them back in your ears.  The one on the left should be your right ear and vice versa.  Plus, they should only fit in one ear...remember to twist in and our (as you will with a custom IEM).

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #2,264 of 4,841
Quote:
Get the Dream Earz 7X with me. Apparently they are (or may be) a cross between ES5 and 8.A. We can be 7X buds
wink.gif

I would have definitely considered them, but they don't seem to be available in the UK. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As anoxy said, the aud-7X is supposed to sound like the ES5 but with a more capable bass section.  The 8.A has very good bass that should satisfy most people that like dynamic driver bass.  Why the JH13 and not the 16?  FS will have plenty of bass, but there are people on both sides of the fence as to the quality of the FS.  You may also want to check out the i9pro just to be thorough (Metalboy will be receiving one soon, so there will be more info on that CIEM).

I think I'm overall leaning most towards the Heir Audio 8.A.

I've omitted the JH16 from my short-list due to the relatively negative experiences I've read people having with them. The Heir Audio just seem to be better in almost every way, or have I been reading misinformation? They apparently are not as refined as the 8.A.

The build quality on the MG6PRO have bothered me, and that is why I was leaning more towards the 8.A and ES5. The mids on the ES5 have really intrigued me, but the overall package of the 8.A seem to be of more of what I want.

I've got another month or so before I'll have the funds and make a decision, but I'm currently set on the Heir Audio 8.A unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Edit: I've just read your 8.A review with comparison to the JH16. Which would you say has the quicker and punchier bass out of the two? And which you had more enjoyment of listening to? I've just heard that there are updated models of the JH13 and JH16, do they all now come with this new Freqphase technology? And do you feel it will be a big improvement on your experience with the original JH16? Trying to look for some reviews, but there don't seem to be any on the new JH16.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #2,265 of 4,841
Just a heads up, GWagon, from what I can tell, Dream Earz will ship to the UK. Nulliverse reviewed the 5X here. Sucks about those import taxes. Maybe there's a way to finesse the paperwork to reduce the fees?

My 7X have been made (Mitch sent a pic, they look great). I should have them in-hand by the end of the week.

Edit: I'll just add that I totally get the attraction to the 8.A. Everything written about them is glowing and build quality looks top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back