Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Aug 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #1,907 of 4,841
Quote:
ooh, you've listened to the fitears?

did you post impressions anywhere yet?

and one last pestering questions,... you havent heard the 111's yet have you?

I have talked about it mostly in PMs, but I did A/B it with the K3003 (although not in my review) and Rooth LS5X.  I think I posted some initial impressions in this thread also, but honestly, I post in so many threads and answer so many PMs, I can't recall exactly.  What surprised me upon first listen was the bass emphasis and how the bass was presented.  There are many good things about the To Go 334 and it has slightly better technical capability than the K3003 while sounding most similar in frequency response to the K3003 with the bass boost port in, but the presentation is still quite different.

No, I haven't heard the 111's yet.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #1,910 of 4,841
Quote:
Cheers man, no worries, I'll hunt down your posts,.... Looking forward to a review if you decide to do one.

Let me expand on my thoughts to avoid confusion:

I had both the To Go! 334 and K3003 for about a week and used triple flange tips due to my larger sized ear canal, so I had a good, deep fit that with the 334 provided excellent isolation while the K3003 isolation was still average at best.  The 334 had quite the bass emphasis, and it wasn't your typical BA bass, it was more reverberant/looser and the K3003 bass was tighter and quicker.  An rough comparison is the 334 would be like the MTPC while the K3003 would be the FX700 in the bass, but of course both would have higher quality.  I heard the quantity of bass in relation to the rest of the spectrum was similar to the K3003 with the bass port in, but the K3003 sounded veiled in comparison.

The 334 midrange is more forward than that of the K3003, and while the K3003 has good presentation space, including depth, the 334 has a good deal more 3D presentation, but isn't quite as wide.  Depending on the port used, I heard the K3003 with different coherence and peaks while the 334 was smooth throughout.  In the treble region, unless the K3003 has the bass port in, the K3003 is brighter.  Overall, the presentation is more laid back with the K3003.

When I am asked questions about what to get, people usually decide either by the amount of bass/treble and/or how forward the midrange is.  While the 334 has a similar bass and treble response to the K3003 with the bass port in, the overall presentation is quite different.  Others don't hear the bass of the 334 the same, which I can only assume is due to fit.  

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #1,911 of 4,841
Quote:

Do you have a hearing aid cleaner?  Also, a canal with the inverted shape like that of the aud-5X is supposed to stop wax cerumen from getting in the sound tubes.

From a sound perspective, there is a difference to my ears between similarly priced CIEMs and the K3003, with the K3003 having more issues.  There are tradeoffs with everything, even above $1K, but there are fewer tradeoffs.  The K3003 is a very nice design and something that gives much higher performance than any other universal I have heard save the To Go 334 (which has quite a different sound sig).  If your other IEM is a reshelled TF10, chances are you will be more than happy with the K3003 as the performance is far superior (although I find the TF10 takes a big step up with some aftermarket cables).  Are custom IEMs miles ahead of the K3003, no, just ahead to my ears.

One of my main issues with the K3003 is the fit, which I had issues with causing discomfort, even with the best configuration.  I tried about 20 different tips and still ended up with a less than ideal situation, but if you are going to get custom sleeves, that could solve the problem.  I suggest reading more about both as there are a lot of reviews/thoughts that are both good and bad and seeing what resonates with you the most.

Thanks, updated!

Thanks for the suggestion Joe,I will definitely check out the hearing aid cleaner and that inverted canal may solve the problem. Leaning towards the heir 8.A now. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #1,912 of 4,841
wow cheers for that Joe!

you didnt have to write that much so i really appreciate it.

I'm quite happy with my EM3's to be honest and i'm more interested in the 111's. but i have started seeing a couple of 334's start to pop up on the local auction site round here so was getting curious. hoping to head back up to tokyo to try them all for myself one day.

cheers again man!

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,913 of 4,841
Well I think I'm cursed when it comes to customs:)  Got my mi-3's back today after refit (not really tried them yet).  However the best bit is that I sent in my left blue reshelled tf10 that did fit for comparison.  Didn't get that back!   Just sent them an email so hopefully get that sorted soon :)

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #1,914 of 4,841
Quote:

My ratings from the hybrids I have heard: LSX5 demo < K3003 < EP-10 Plus = TS842 < Merlin demo

Both the Merlin and Miracle demos were quite bad and not representative of the real thing.  While the EP-10 Plus and TS842 are =, they sound very different and the EP-10 Plus will be too veiled for many as the EP-10 Plus is a warmer, more detailed and spacious IE8 vs. the TF10 like sound of the TS842.

See, got it, however if i were to look for a pair that's relatively neutral sounding, which would you suggest out of lsx5, k3003, Merlin?

Quote:
Here are pics of my LCM-5 (click for larger images).  In the Lear images the True Texture looks black, but that is just because of the black background.

Lear provided images

Quote:
I've got quite a few new customs in the works. The first of them just arrived:

Lear LCM-5 with 5 drivers. Joe has a set coming as well so we should have a few different perspectives on the sound. 

Nice!  What else do you have in the works as we can all benefit from more information about how various custom IEMs sound?

mine quick box unboxing of mine lcm5:

will start with the box that i received, it come in small fine black paper box, which somehow reminded me the samsung Galaxy SII/III's box, which looks quite nice

On the side of the box, it tells you that its got a pair of CIEM in there(its called CM-IEM over here)

At the back of the box, its another "lear" logo with their web site printed on it, oh yea, that it saids "designed, tuned and made in hong kong!" at the bottom of its back cover

A closer look to that "designed, tuned and made in hong kong!"

Then thats whats inside of the box, a users manual, a cleaning cloth of some sort and under these two, its an otter box :D and theres mine LCM5 waiting for me

The cleaning cloth

The black otter box, and Oh yea, there's a CIEM cleaning rod next to the box ....that blue thingy

A closer look to that cleaning rod, which aint much of any difference to what I got to come with other brand's CIEMs
(beside it seems to be abit longer?)

The otter box, lets open it up :p

Here you go, inside of it is a nice brown-greyish pouch, which feels abit more "fancy"  than what JH and 1964;s offering, also it seems to be much thicker, suppose that will give it some extract protection (but suppose i will keep it in the otter box for safety reason LOL)

And here you go thats mine LCM5 from inside of that pouch :D:D

A closer look,
you will probably notice mine's not got 1 of these "adaptor" thingy, cos mine's integrated inside of the customs(at special request for special needs), which given it some extra components on the crossover circuit, as you would probably notice mine's got more black heat shrink sleeves inside when comparing to Average-Joe and Project86's

Oh yea, I've almost forgotten about the instruction manual 

And lastly its using the same cable as the once on the other LCM CIEM's, you can check out Project86's review on their LCM-2B for reference 

the same plug

the same Y split

the pins

and last of all, somewhat that you will probably be interested:
the true textural faceplate

looks really fancy and really texturalish and detailish  in this angle(of course when you touch it as well, really feels very fun, dont know how to describe it)
(also its actually got some practical usage, as it provides extra grip that I couldnt find on other brand's custom fones.

and then comes my favourate, make them glow:

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #1,915 of 4,841
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Joe,I will definitely check out the hearing aid cleaner and that inverted canal may solve the problem. Leaning towards the heir 8.A now. 
beerchug.gif

The 8.A is very nice; let me know if you have any questions and when you decide to buy, let me know what you get.

Quote:
wow cheers for that Joe!

you didnt have to write that much so i really appreciate it.

I'm quite happy with my EM3's to be honest and i'm more interested in the 111's. but i have started seeing a couple of 334's start to pop up on the local auction site round here so was getting curious. hoping to head back up to tokyo to try them all for myself one day.

cheers again man!

No problem, my pleasure. The EM3's are nice, but I am interested to hear your take of the 334 if you decide to get them.  The 111, from what I have read, is quite different than the EM3 and 334.

Quote:
Well I think I'm cursed when it comes to customs:)  Got my mi-3's back today after refit (not really tried them yet).  However the best bit is that I sent in my left blue reshelled tf10 that did fit for comparison.  Didn't get that back!   Just sent them an email so hopefully get that sorted soon :)

Oh, man, that stinks.  I at least hope the Mi-3 fits now.  Let us know what they say.

Quote:
See, got it, however if i were to look for a pair that's relatively neutral sounding, which would you suggest out of lsx5, k3003, Merlin?

mine quick box unboxing of mine lcm5:

will start with the box that i received, it come in small fine black paper box, which somehow reminded me the samsung Galaxy SII/III's box, which looks quite nice

The LSX5 is the most neutral as while the K3003 is close, is has enhanced bass.  

And nice LCM-5.  Ha, an unboxing, picture style!  Very interesting that you decided to opt for the additional crossover in the shell instead of where you could take it out of the signal path.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #1,918 of 4,841
Quote:

What about additional crossover? What is that?

The LCM-5 has a adapter that has additional electronics in it.  I suppose it isn't actually a crossover as it affects the entire frequency spectrum, but the added components are in the shell.

Quote:
Still looking at various customs. Your review has been really helpful. Does spiral ear still don't ship out of EU?

Glad to be of help.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #1,919 of 4,841
Quote:
Still looking at various customs. Your review has been really helpful. Does spiral ear still don't ship out of EU?

No, they still don't ship out of EU

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,920 of 4,841
My Aud-6x'es arrived today. Initial impressions are extremely favorable so far. No fit issues that I can detect, no harsh treble, no channel imbalances.

My first thoughts, sound-wise, are that they're a lot like a more technically proficient version of my GR07s, although somewhat bassier as well, which makes me wonder about that description of them as "neutral reference monitors". Not that I'm complaining.

I will admit that I was a bit pissed to have almost $700 IEMs sent back to me in a tiny, uninsured, First Class box, no case included, packed in a ziploc with some bubblewrap around it (almost as if he was expecting me to send them back again).

That aside, quite pleased so far, at least in this first hour with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back