Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jan 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #946 of 4,841
I've sent out mails to the representative in charge based on the mail address you've given me regarding the NT6. Shall wait for their reply. Anyway,i really appreciate your kind efforts, joe... Thanks lots for your time and precious info!

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #948 of 4,841

Quote:
I've sent out mails to the representative in charge based on the mail address you've given me regarding the NT6. Shall wait for their reply. Anyway,i really appreciate your kind efforts, joe... Thanks lots for your time and precious info!

Thank you, I enjoy reviewing products.  I hope you get a quick response; let me know if you have any other questions.

Quote:
None of the CIEMs you reviewed was a "press sample" from the company? I've seen half-a-page near-useless reviews of CIEMs which had been offered by their manufacturers for said reviews.

At the beginning I was paying for everything but now I do get review samples and note it in the opening paragraph or two.  At the time I wrote that, March of last year, I had already committed a good deal of money for various custom IEMs but now I am more time challenged and have some exciting products in my hands and on the way.  In due time.

And if you are referring to the mg6pro review here where the reviewer compares it with the W4, IE8, and Turbine Pro Copper, then yes, I think my reviews are much more thorough and have more relevant comparisons.  Also, I was surprised at the lack of excitement and praise that review bestowed on the mg6pro, but it is probably more just the reviewer.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #949 of 4,841
Quote:
At the beginning I was paying for everything but now I do get review samples and note it in the opening paragraph or two.  At the time I wrote that, March of last year, I had already committed a good deal of money for various custom IEMs but now I am more time challenged and have some exciting products in my hands and on the way.  In due time.

And if you are referring to the mg6pro review here where the reviewer compares it with the W4, IE8, and Turbine Pro Copper, then yes, I think my reviews are much more thorough and have more relevant comparisons.  Also, I was surprised at the lack of excitement and praise that review bestowed on the mg6pro, but it is probably more just the reviewer.

I wasn't thinking of any specific review. Most of the CIEM reviews I've found online are lacking. This one isn't the worst, by far. I've got recollections of a mishmash of reviews that could be summed up by: "They sound much better than iBuds but are crazy expensive."

Some journalists aren't qualified to review audio products. Others are just lazy. And others don't dare any comparison so as not to displease any of their (potential) sponsors.

There are exceptions (TouchMyApps, AVguide), but that's what they are: exceptions. 

And of course, by now, no one has quite as much material to compare as you do!

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #950 of 4,841

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of any specific review. Most of the CIEM reviews I've found online are lacking. This one isn't the worst, by far. I've got recollections of a mishmash of reviews that could be summed up by: "They sound much better than iBuds but are crazy expensive."

Some journalists aren't qualified to review audio products. Others are just lazy. And others don't dare any comparison so as not to displease any of their (potential) sponsors.

There are exceptions (TouchMyApps, AVguide), but that's what they are: exceptions. 

And of course, by now, no one has quite as much material to compare as you do!

As you stated, it seems most reviewers on commercial sites don't want to upset the companies that provide samples, and I can't help but think some companies that do provide samples to reviewers wouldn't want to provide a sample to me since they don't want their product compared head-to-head, figure their products have enough coverage on head-fi, or they don't like the forum format.  It does seem that my thread is picking up popularity in other forums internationally, so I could give additional exposure.

Thank you for your support!

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #951 of 4,841
Quote:
As you stated, it seems most reviewers on commercial sites don't want to upset the companies that provide samples, and I can't help but think some companies that do provide samples to reviewers wouldn't want to provide a sample to me since they don't want their product compared head-to-head, figure their products have enough coverage on head-fi, or they don't like the forum format.  It does seem that my thread is picking up popularity in other forums internationally, so I could give additional exposure.

It's understandable that a company with an already established reputation wouldn't be thrilled at the idea of seeing its products compared to that of less prominent competitors. After all, they're already the top choice, so they've got little to gain and a lot to lose by seeing their products compared on a level ground, especially since your thread is quickly becoming the reference (not just on Head-Fi).

Thank you for your support!

Me? I'm just taking advantage of your money, time and efforts. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #952 of 4,841
Hey Joe, how are the microphonics on customs in general? My Miracle came today - it sounds absolutely amazing, but I have some serious issues with microphonics while walking.

I also sometimes seem to lose seal while walking - the outside noise gets softer and louder with every step. Maybe I'm not fitting it properly, but time will tell..

I'd hate to have to give up otherwise spectacular IEMs just cause of tertiary issues, but they're really bugging me.

One more question - how much more difficult is it to insert and remove silicones compared to acrylics? I don't think I'd be able to suffer any headphones that are less convenient than my current customs.. haha.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #953 of 4,841
Got my Westone Es5's yesterday -a few thoughts and some general comparisons to the UM miracle i used to own.  please note that my impressions of headphones is not always "typical" and often people disagree with me :wink:

first know that my benchmark is a pair of LCD-2 rev2's that are eq'd as close to true neutral as possible using this method - My EQ curves for LCD-2, HD650, M50, and 007mk2
They are the best sounding headphone's i've ever heard, and i've owned quite a few high end headphones, IEM's and even earbuds.

like most headphones i have owned, and because i am a true neutral listener,  I dont like how the ES5 sound without EQ - in this case the features at fault are pretty rolled off frequencies - nearly everything above 1400hz if you can believe it.

that said, when properly eq'd the ES5 are the best sounding headphones i've ever heard - I am ready to say i prefer them over my LCD-2's, and at very least they are equal to them which is saying a LOT!

I owned the UM miracles for a few weeks so i will compare the two at times.

the miracles also sounded bad to me without EQ, but much worse.  Very muffled and mono-note bass, which no amount of eq could fix. the bass was really a mess from every angle. The rest of the frequency range was all over the place, and was also hopeless no matter how much eq i threw at it.  The mids were so so, and the highs were so so.  They got jumbled and muddy with fast music.   On top of that the left one fit fine but was still loose, and the right one did not fit.  So i sold them and bought the es5

the fit and overall design of the es5 is MILES ahead of the UM miracle.   The miracles would break seal if i so much as moved my face.   The ES5's absolutely never lose seal.  They are rock solid in my ears, yet just as comfortable as any custom can be, which means they basically dissapear in your ears.

The flex-fit ear tubes are great - really hepl with the seal and fit, albeit a bit harder to get in than solid acrylic, but they will get slicker over time from natural lubrication, and of course westone supplies oto-ease to help at first.

I'll quickly glide over bass mids and highs because they are all simply stupendous (with EQ)
amazingly the bass easily keeps up with the LCD-2 -
extension - Check!  snap - Check! attack, viseral impact, and every other word i can think of that means awesome bass - Check!  also the quantity is very reasonable.. if anything its slightly light, but again.. I eq, and

most importantly the ES5 does very very well with eq across the spectrum.

mids are just Freakin fantastic.  ortho mids, so i thought, were in their own exclusive club and unbeatable, certainly not by IEM's   well i stand corrected.  what else do i need to say.

highs just seem right.. cymbals, snares, and all that is high sounds very lifelike and clear.  great distinction, great clarity.

the speed, articulation, attack, and overall musicality are all top notch as well.  nothing bogs, nothing gets lost in the mix and most importantly the music sounds like music.. fun, clear and real. 

I really cant say enough good about these IEM's  If it werent for practical reasons i could easily give up my LCD-2's and never look back.

to say these make the Miracles look like crap is not an understatement.  SOOO glad i switched. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #954 of 4,841

Quote:
Hey Joe, how are the microphonics on customs in general? My Miracle came today - it sounds absolutely amazing, but I have some serious issues with microphonics while walking.

I also sometimes seem to lose seal while walking - the outside noise gets softer and louder with every step. Maybe I'm not fitting it properly, but time will tell..

I'd hate to have to give up otherwise spectacular IEMs just cause of tertiary issues, but they're really bugging me.

One more question - how much more difficult is it to insert and remove silicones compared to acrylics? I don't think I'd be able to suffer any headphones that are less convenient than my current customs.. haha.

I've owned the miracles, and now own the ES5 and i can say this...

my miracles lost seal quite easily. i was constantly fiddling with them, even when one side had a great fit.
microphonics while walking or eating can vary  - since i've only owned two customs i can say that my tighter fitting, better fitting, and never lose seal ES5's are clearly less succeptable to walking, eating, and wire noise.  its practically non existant.  even when i eat crunch food, i dont get that typical rumble, and the music is not effected.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #955 of 4,841

Quote:
It's understandable that a company with an already established reputation wouldn't be thrilled at the idea of seeing its products compared to that of less prominent competitors. After all, they're already the top choice, so they've got little to gain and a lot to lose by seeing their products compared on a level ground, especially since your thread is quickly becoming the reference (not just on Head-Fi).

Me? I'm just taking advantage of your money, time and efforts. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I post so you can take!  I hope you enjoy and my reviews help people find what is best for them when you are looking for a CIEM.

Quote:

Microphonics are dependent on each individual person, and as Br777 states below, the fit of the CIEM.  I don't have microphonics with my CIEMs except with the Hidition upgraded cable, but others report having some.  Does it go away if you hold the shells in your ears?  You may want to try a different cable.  There is a person in my cable thread with a JH13 that has some odd microphonics.  He is getting a JH16 and will report back if that too has microphonics.

Quote:
Got my Westone Es5's yesterday -a few thoughts and some general comparisons to the UM miracle i used to own.  please note that my impressions of headphones is not always "typical" and often people disagree with me :wink:

first know that my benchmark is a pair of LCD-2 rev2's that are eq'd as close to true neutral as possible using this method - My EQ curves for LCD-2, HD650, M50, and 007mk2
They are the best sounding headphone's i've ever heard, and i've owned quite a few high end headphones, IEM's and even earbuds.

like most headphones i have owned, and because i am a true neutral listener,  I dont like how the ES5 sound without EQ - in this case the features at fault are pretty rolled off frequencies - nearly everything above 1400hz if you can believe it.

that said, when properly eq'd the ES5 are the best sounding headphones i've ever heard - I am ready to say i prefer them over my LCD-2's, and at very least they are equal to them which is saying a LOT!

I owned the UM miracles for a few weeks so i will compare the two at times.

the miracles also sounded bad to me without EQ, but much worse.  Very muffled and mono-note bass, which no amount of eq could fix. the bass was really a mess from every angle. The rest of the frequency range was all over the place, and was also hopeless no matter how much eq i threw at it.  The mids were so so, and the highs were so so.  They got jumbled and muddy with fast music.   On top of that the left one fit fine but was still loose, and the right one did not fit.  So i sold them and bought the es5

the fit and overall design of the es5 is MILES ahead of the UM miracle.   The miracles would break seal if i so much as moved my face.   The ES5's absolutely never lose seal.  They are rock solid in my ears, yet just as comfortable as any custom can be, which means they basically dissapear in your ears.

The flex-fit ear tubes are great - really hepl with the seal and fit, albeit a bit harder to get in than solid acrylic, but they will get slicker over time from natural lubrication, and of course westone supplies oto-ease to help at first.

I'll quickly glide over bass mids and highs because they are all simply stupendous (with EQ)
amazingly the bass easily keeps up with the LCD-2 -
extension - Check!  snap - Check! attack, viseral impact, and every other word i can think of that means awesome bass - Check!  also the quantity is very reasonable.. if anything its slightly light, but again.. I eq, and

most importantly the ES5 does very very well with eq across the spectrum.

mids are just Freakin fantastic.  ortho mids, so i thought, were in their own exclusive club and unbeatable, certainly not by IEM's   well i stand corrected.  what else do i need to say.

highs just seem right.. cymbals, snares, and all that is high sounds very lifelike and clear.  great distinction, great clarity.

the speed, articulation, attack, and overall musicality are all top notch as well.  nothing bogs, nothing gets lost in the mix and most importantly the music sounds like music.. fun, clear and real. 

I really cant say enough good about these IEM's  If it werent for practical reasons i could easily give up my LCD-2's and never look back.

to say these make the Miracles look like crap is not an understatement.  SOOO glad i switched. 

Glad to hear you like the ES5, that is something I hope to hear some day.  What are you using to power the LCD-2?  The sound of my LCD-2 improves significantly when used with my Anedio D1 DAC, but I still prefer several of my custom IEMs to the LCD-2.  How is the spaciousness of the ES5 in comparison with the LCD-2?

Quote:

I've owned the miracles, and now own the ES5 and i can say this...

my miracles lost seal quite easily. i was constantly fiddling with them, even when one side had a great fit.
microphonics while walking or eating can vary  - since i've only owned two customs i can say that my tighter fitting, better fitting, and never lose seal ES5's are clearly less succeptable to walking, eating, and wire noise.  its practically non existant.  even when i eat crunch food, i dont get that typical rumble, and the music is not effected.

Thanks for sharing.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #956 of 4,841
So when you take footsteps, with no music playing, absolutely none of it conducts to your ears?

I may need a refit then..

Its intresting though, because Stephen Guo says that he has a small amount of microphonics too..

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #957 of 4,841
I have zero conduction of sound to my ears, but there is some slight sound from footsteps due to my ear canals being sealed, which would be the same if there was no cable attached, which is not microphonics.  

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #958 of 4,841

Quote:
So when you take footsteps, with no music playing, absolutely none of it conducts to your ears?

That's not microphonics; that's bone conductivity. The better the seal, the more you'll hear your own footsteps. Just try walking normally then walking with your fingers plugging your ears, you'll understand.

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #959 of 4,841
Ahhh.. Crap. So theres nothing I can do about it?

Are there any non IEM HPs that isolate as well as customs?

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #960 of 4,841
Quote:
Ahhh.. Crap. So theres nothing I can do about it?

Levitate?

Are there any non IEM HPs that isolate as well as customs?

Very few can compare, none has a great sound, and your problem will be the same: Basically, the better you isolate your ears from the outer world, the better you'll be able to hear yourself munch or walk.

This said ...

http://www.drummuffler.com/drummer-headphones.php

I use the simple earmuff version of the Ultraphones, and the isolation equals that of my foam arplugs. As for the EX-29, they're the best known headphones for ultimate isolation. The rest simply can't compare, in that regard. But I doubt you'll be delighted by the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back