Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Dec 12, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #781 of 4,841
Have to send back for the third time for my EM3 PRO :frowning2:. They do build it like a tank. But when it comes to refit, they seem can't do it right. Had to take an ear impression again. *_*

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #783 of 4,841
Hidition NT-6 info has been updated in the first post.
Quote:
Thanks! It seems to me that it's up to how much of the iem is actually touching the ear. Still not totally sure about that but your answer seems to show that that is the case.

Yes, to a large extent. Different people have different anatomical structures so everyone is different.  For example, the isolation I get from customs is not as much as another custom IEM owner I know as I can still hear things with any of my customs in he can't.  So, it may be an issue, but maybe not, however there is a greater chance with custom IEMs.

Quote:
Have to send back for the third time for my EM3 PRO :frowning2:. They do build it like a tank. But when it comes to refit, they seem can't do it right. Had to take an ear impression again. *_*

This is not isolated and if you read the threads for the popular custom IEMs on head-fi this happens from time to time.  There will always be a certain percentage of people with these issues ranging from minor to needing new impressions.

Quote:
Can't wait for your impressions on these :p

Thanks, I am looking forward to hearing them!

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #784 of 4,841
Hey Joe,

It seems like my ear impressions sent to UM never arrived. I'm thinking of pulling out and avoiding the headaches of all this international shipping crap. If I wanted an IEM from a North American company (operates inside NA, does warranty and has labs here), what would you recommend?

~$1000 budget
I'd prefer silicone, but that isn't necessary
Fairly neutral, mid centric if anything
Must be good for ALL genres, though I especially like female vocals
Would be nice of details are forward, rather than buried
Must be closed and offer full isolation

As a benchmark, I should prefer its overall sound quality to the ATH-ES10. Though I guess you haven't heard that.

Thanks!

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #785 of 4,841
Actually I know which part it hurts me so bad. It's the lowest part which connect to the whole part of my ear impression. So they will cut off the really big part of my ear impressions and scan it. I really think If I send the new impression, they will do the same thing by assuming that part can still be fit into my ear's lowest part. I will take it to my audiologist, he said he can fix it for me by grinding it. Let's hope that works which can save me 200 pounds:)

Quote:
This is not isolated and if you read the threads for the popular custom IEMs on head-fi this happens from time to time.  There will always be a certain percentage of people with these issues ranging from minor to needing new impressions.

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #787 of 4,841

Quote:
Hey Joe,

It seems like my ear impressions sent to UM never arrived. I'm thinking of pulling out and avoiding the headaches of all this international shipping crap. If I wanted an IEM from a North American company (operates inside NA, does warranty and has labs here), what would you recommend?

~$1000 budget
I'd prefer silicone, but that isn't necessary
Fairly neutral, mid centric if anything
Must be good for ALL genres, though I especially like female vocals
Would be nice of details are forward, rather than buried
Must be closed and offer full isolation

As a benchmark, I should prefer its overall sound quality to the ATH-ES10. Though I guess you haven't heard that.

Thanks!

I have only heard the ATH-ES10 for about 20 minutes 2 years ago, so I don't recall all that much except I liked it.  

First, why not go through Stephen at custom-IEM?  He makes UM essentially USA based.  

If not, there is the UERM, which is very neutral but it may be too analytical.  Then the aud-5X which is a bit more mid-centric but the bass is enhanced.  I haven't heard them so I am not sure how they really perform, but the ES5 might be worth looking into since it is reportedly a bit on the mid-centric side and somewhat balanced across the spectrum.

Quote:
Actually I know which part it hurts me so bad. It's the lowest part which connect to the whole part of my ear impression. So they will cut off the really big part of my ear impressions and scan it. I really think If I send the new impression, they will do the same thing by assuming that part can still be fit into my ear's lowest part. I will take it to my audiologist, he said he can fix it for me by grinding it. Let's hope that works which can save me 200 pounds:)

Hopefully that will work locally and save you money.  Franck and his team seem to be responsive and should be able to do what you are asking for if you can communicate it to them.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #788 of 4,841
Yeah. Ear sonics have really fast response.and really fast and amazing service. But you know fitting can be personal sometimes. it's really hard to describe when I am not there with them :)

Btw I really appreciate your reviews. The more I read it, the more I feel how accurate your ears can be. haha. Your reviews of the IEMs I have can't be more comprehensive and accurate. So people really wont go wrong buying IEMs by reading your reviews. That's why I have to get the 5 way:)

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #789 of 4,841
It was just a few months ago that earsonics released the em4, and now they have the em6. Quite a rapid pace in development they got over there. I wonder if joe will bite at it again. Even though he has not reviewed the em4 yet.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #790 of 4,841
I know.....I just noticed it too.....woooooo....
It's for live performance? I guess more spacing and more treble extention compared to EM4?
Quote:
It was just a few months ago that earsonics released the em4, and now they have the em6. Quite a rapid pace in development they got over there. I wonder if joe will bite at it again. Even though he has not reviewed the em4 yet.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #791 of 4,841
I don't know if I should ask this question here or maybe in SE customs thread but anyways.
I would like to know what is your opinion Joe on new Audeo 232 (implying you have heard one) in comparision with SE5w.
I am still under 232's impression and If say 3-4-or 5 ways presents anything similar then i would know where I will be heading now :D

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #792 of 4,841
EM4 has arrived and so far it is better than the EM3 Pro with more clarity and detail with a brighter overall sound.  So far so good but of course I still have a lot of listening ahead...

Quote:
with an aftermarket cable, the cost of NT6 may goes up to 1200$!
Have you tried beat audio cable on nt6, Joe? The supreme for example?

Yes, it does.  I don't own any Beat Audio cables, so I can't try them with the NT-6 unfortunately.  

Quote:

Yes, what a surprise!

Quote:
I don't know if I should ask this question here or maybe in SE customs thread but anyways.
I would like to know what is your opinion Joe on new Audeo 232 (implying you have heard one) in comparision with SE5w.
I am still under 232's impression and If say 3-4-or 5 ways presents anything similar then i would know where I will be heading now :D

I have not heard the 232 so I have no idea, sorry.

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #794 of 4,841
I started listening to the SA43s with the bass switch on. Some impressions:

Lows
- Bass body is about twice as big with the switch off. 
- Impact is significantly greater
- decay is ever slightly longer but a lot more noticeable with the forward bass
- Less noticeable on bass light songs; on bass heavy songs, bass is definitely the first thing that you will notice

Mids
- Mids have a slight warmth added to them
- Vocals are richer/thicker compared to when the switch is off
- There is somewhat more emotion to the mids
- Unlike some other bass heavy universals, mids are not at all recessed or veiled by the bass, just a slight different flavour

Highs
- Treble is mostly unaffected
- Some micro-details are harder to make out due to the more pronounced bass
- Feels slightly darker (~5%) but is barely noticeable

Presentation
- Soundstage unchanged, still unbelievable size in all directions
- Imaging: drums, bass guitars, tuba and some horns are noticeably brought forward while others remain unchanged
- Tonality: overall richer, thicker, and warmer presentation compared with bass switch off. 
- Separation: mostly unchanged, although certain high frequency instruments can sound a tiny but muffled at times
- Also wanted to add that overall, instruments appears to have more "weight" to them 

For rap/hip hop/RnB, I greatly prefer the bass switch on while pop/techno sounds better with switch off. For rock/metal it was really a toss up depending on whether I wanted to focus on the guitars or bass guitars/drums or have a little extra weight in the guitars. 

I can easily tell the difference between the switch on and off and the more I listen the more I am happy with the SA43s as the versatility to change the sound signature is almost like having a different IEM.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #795 of 4,841
This is a great thread, so much awesome information. I have no idea what I want now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back