Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Dec 5, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #751 of 4,841
Just regular music. Yes with the bass switch the sound is warmer and I can hear a tonal change overall. With the presence switch on itself, bass felt punchier and less prominent. 

With both switches on though, is sounds just like the switches off and just louder. There are some minor differences in the treble region that I can hear but the difference is quite small. I A/Bed about 15 songs and volume matched in middle of a song and to my ears it just sounds like the switches off and 1 click higher in volume. 
confused_face_2.gif

Maybe I just don't know how to listen to the differences, I felt most of the treble region is brought forward equally just like the mids. I remembered Alf saying that the presence is everything from 5,3KHz and above. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #752 of 4,841
That is something I haven't done, compare with both switches on and both off.  I sent Alf an email about the presence switch and he quickly confirmed what you said and I just sent him another email about the bass switch, but he is probably off for the night.  That would seem odd if the bass switch raised the bass through 5.3 KHz.  I do know the bass goes deeper with the bass switch on. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #753 of 4,841
Hmmm... When I use the presence switch, the amount of increase in those frequency ranges somewhat masks the bass increase boost. Like I mentioned previously, with just the presence switch on, I feel the bass quantity is slightly less with faster decays compared to when both switches are off. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #754 of 4,841
The new ACS Live! series of custom IEMs has just been introduced; here is more info on the T1 Live!  It uses a detachable cable which is more of a serviceable cable than detachable.  Here is a pic of Leo Crabtree's unit, the drummer for The Prodigy:

I should have the ACS T1 Live! in hand in a week or two, and the Earsonics EM4 around the same time.

I am about 2/3rd done with the Hidition NT6 review and still have a ways to go for my amp/DAC review, that review is kicking my butt!

@ rangerid: I will have to listen more and see when I have time, but are the changes perception because of the more forward upper mids?  Changes in frequency response in one area can change perception of other frequencies.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #755 of 4,841
impressive joe!

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #756 of 4,841
Hi Joe, I believe it does have something to do with perception of the more forward mid and treble, but at the same time, I can definitely feel there is less decay, like it is being drowned out or overshadowed by the forward mids/treble. I have a/b'ed a few bass heavy songs and I can definitely hear a difference, not that I am complaining I just thought it was an interesting observation and thought I should share it :wink:

In regards to a/b'ing both switches off and on, you do have to do some volume matching as I am 99% sure there is a overall volume change. If you get a chance I'd love to hear your thoughts because apart from a few minute differences in the treble region, I can't really hear much of a difference. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #758 of 4,841

Quote:
I'm still looking forward for your NT6 review. Btw did you have any information about the NT6 pro which has the same number of drivers as the NT6?
And Joe, will you give this ciem a try? :wink: http://www.heiraudio.com/article_103.html

It's Wizard's work, isn't it?
I even spoted his customs there. I love those wooden faceplates.
$180 for remold is a bit pricey (plus $55 shipping), however UM is going more expensive next year....
I have to say though. $350 for trips is nice deal!

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #759 of 4,841

Quote:
impressive joe!

Thanks!

Quote:
Hi Joe, I believe it does have something to do with perception of the more forward mid and treble, but at the same time, I can definitely feel there is less decay, like it is being drowned out or overshadowed by the forward mids/treble. I have a/b'ed a few bass heavy songs and I can definitely hear a difference, not that I am complaining I just thought it was an interesting observation and thought I should share it :wink:

In regards to a/b'ing both switches off and on, you do have to do some volume matching as I am 99% sure there is a overall volume change. If you get a chance I'd love to hear your thoughts because apart from a few minute differences in the treble region, I can't really hear much of a difference. 

It seems odd that there would just be a change in the loudness, especially if there is a boost in a certain frequency range.  The bass boost only boost from 50 Hz on down according to Alf, so there should be a dip between 50 Hz or so and 5.3 KHz.  But I will have to listen again.  And do you notice the difference in note decay when just changing the bass switch?

Quote:
I'm still looking forward for your NT6 review. Btw did you have any information about the NT6 pro which has the same number of drivers as the NT6?
And Joe, will you give this ciem a try? :wink: http://www.heiraudio.com/article_103.html

Quote:
It's Wizard's work, isn't it?
I even spoted his customs there. I love those wooden faceplates.
$180 for remold is a bit pricey (plus $55 shipping), however UM is going more expensive next year....
I have to say though. $350 for trips is nice deal!

I will review the NT6 and then see about the NT6 Pro.  With the performance of the NT6, the NT6 Pro is of great interest to me!  Hidition can do pearl and carbon fiber face plates...

Yes, that is the Wizard's work and I would love to hear if they are as much ear candy as they are eye candy!

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #761 of 4,841

Quote:
I can't read japanese but I can see it says Sennheiser IE8 remold + 2 drivers http://www.hfi.jp/?pid=31172510 this should be interesting!

http://www.custom-iem.com/sennheiser-ie8-reshell-upgrade-to-3-drivers-p-662.html?zenid=0c7dd7f59a81f85233a19bfdfd607bc0

Quote:

It seems odd that there would just be a change in the loudness, especially if there is a boost in a certain frequency range.  The bass boost only boost from 50 Hz on down according to Alf, so there should be a dip between 50 Hz or so and 5.3 KHz.  But I will have to listen again.  And do you notice the difference in note decay when just changing the bass switch?

Yea, with only the bass switch, decays are noticeably longer and warms up the overall signature/mids by 15% or so... very interesting 

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #764 of 4,841
Dec 7, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #765 of 4,841

Quote:
The new ACS Live! series of custom IEMs has just been introduced; here is more info on the T1 Live!  It uses a detachable cable which is more of a serviceable cable than detachable.  Here is a pic of Leo Crabtree's unit, the drummer for The Prodigy:

I should have the ACS T1 Live! in hand in a week or two, and the Earsonics EM4 around the same time.

I am about 2/3rd done with the Hidition NT6 review and still have a ways to go for my amp/DAC review, that review is kicking my butt!

@ rangerid: I will have to listen more and see when I have time, but are the changes perception because of the more forward upper mids?  Changes in frequency response in one area can change perception of other frequencies.

Great! how long do you think you will have the reviews done?
really looking forward how you would compare the T1 and EM4 with the top tier custom iem that you have, especially the JH16, Rooth LS8, SA-43 and maybe Spiral Ears 5-Way. also the the EM3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back