Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Nov 25, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #706 of 4,841

Quote:
Looking good Joe. At least I know what I want now. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks, and what is it that you want?

Quote:
Great summury joe. Didnt know SA 43 sounds like SE535
redface.gif

Thanks.  With the presence switch it resembles the SE535 but is oh so much better IMO.  Personally I dislike the 535 as it sounds disjointed and too mid-forward, but the technical ability of the SA-43 helps me accept the more mid-forward presentation.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #709 of 4,841

Quote:
Any plans on reviewing the ACS T1 average_joe? Would be interesting to see how they stack up against other customs.

Check the Awaiting Receipt section near the top of the first post in this thread :wink:

Quote:

CLICK TO MAKE PHOTO HUGE!

got my miracles today - here's a link to my extremely initial thoughts in the miracle review thread

post #255

Very nice, I am looking forward to your thoughts including how they compare with the LCD-2.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #712 of 4,841

Quote:
^ a little bit here - very early of course  post #265 

i'm still finding my mind revolting against not hearing the LCD-2's though, so i'm not able to really hear clearly yet... if that makes sense.

Thanks, interesting comparison and I am looking forward to more when you have had sufficient time with the Miracle.

Quote:
Joe, you mentioned that the LS8 reminds you of CK10. Does UERM sound similar to any universal you heard or know of?

and LS8 has stronger, more quantity of bass than UERM right?

UERM is also similar, but maybe closer to the DBA-02.  Check out the first post in this thread.  And here is my comparison between the UERM and LS8 from the UERM review:

The first thing I noticed with A/Bing these two is the tonality differences with the LS8 having a warmer and thicker presentation that sounded more balanced and natural to me with vocals.  The depth and soundstage of both are very close, however the LS8 has a little more depth while the UERM has a slight bit more width.  With tracks such as Balmorhea the LS8 has more ambiance and sounds more realistic, but with others like the remastered Silent Lucidity the differences are negligible.  The LS8 has a little more punch, speed and dynamics to go along with the thicker note and warmth.

Bass of the LS8 has more warmth, note thickness, and rumble and the LS8 has a little better dynamics along with better texture, especially when there is a fair amount of bass energy.  While the mids are similar, the LS8 has a thicker midrange note with more smoothness and slightly more detail.  The lower midrange of the two are similar while the upper midrange differs as the LS8 has a peak around 6K vs. the sloping upward upper midrange and treble of the UERM which pulls some instruments like cymbals forward.  Extension of the UERM with test tones is about 16.5K with a roll off past 16K while the LS8 treble is fairly flat to 20K with test tones. The LS8 has a smoother presentation across the board and this holds true for the treble, which is also more detailed and also forgiving than that of the UERM.  One of the concerns I notes with the LS8 was sharp S's due to the peak and the UERM performs a little better.

The UERM and LS8 can be considered competitors for the audiophile as well as recording engineer.  Both present music in a similar but slightly different way and I can see the two being preferred depending on genre and preference.  It comes down to wanting more treble and/or an analytical sound (UERM) or a smoother, warmer, and thicker presentation (LS8) that is more forgiving of poorly mastered tracks.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #714 of 4,841

Quote:

Thanks, interesting comparison and I am looking forward to more when you have had sufficient time with the Miracle.

UERM is also similar, but maybe closer to the DBA-02.  Check out the first post in this thread.  And here is my comparison between the UERM and LS8 from the UERM review:

I hate to say this but I think I live V shape sound signature. How is the UERM bass compare to LS8? It seems like LS8 is V shaped since it has recessed midrange?
or Im wrong?

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #715 of 4,841

Quote:
I hate to say this but I think I live V shape sound signature. How is the UERM bass compare to LS8? It seems like LS8 is V shaped since it has recessed midrange?
or Im wrong?

According to Joe, the LS8 has bigger and more punchy bass than the UERM. Plus, I do not think that the LS8 has recessed midrange

And Joe, how are the others reviews going? For the summary table, its shows that the UERM, LS8 and JH16 have somewhat similar to each other, doesn't it? Although I have a brief overview on each of your custom set's character, that still drives me confused a lot. 
I mostly listen to pop, new age and songs which are sung in musicals (such as "Phantom in the theater", etc..). I'd like something with bright, analytical, on the lean side of signature, bass has good quality but medium quantity. As I've mentioned before, I'm still happy with my ck10 now, and recently I bought a pair of ortofon e-q5 but unfortunately I had to sell it since I couldnt get on well with its thick, quite forward midrange (in comparison with ck10) that decline the overall clarity. In my short list for 1000$ range, there are only the LS8, UERM and NT6 left. Therefore, could you give me some advices, Joe?
Thanks for your great help! Cheerz!

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #716 of 4,841

Quote:
or Im wrong?

The LS8 does not have a recessed midrange, nor does the S4.  Please reread here.  Bass of the UERM vs. the LS8 is in the LS8 review as I stated above in this thread.  I even copied it for you, please read that as well as the LS8 and UERM reviews if you are considering them.  

Quote:
According to Joe, the LS8 has bigger and more punchy bass than the UERM. Plus, I do not think that the LS8 has recessed midrange

And Joe, how are the others reviews going? For the summary table, its shows that the UERM, LS8 and JH16 have somewhat similar to each other, doesn't it? Although I have a brief overview on each of your custom set's character, that still drives me confused a lot. 
I mostly listen to pop, new age and songs which are sung in musicals (such as "Phantom in the theater", etc..). I'd like something with bright, analytical, on the lean side of signature, bass has good quality but medium quantity. As I've mentioned before, I'm still happy with my ck10 now, and recently I bought a pair of ortofon e-q5 but unfortunately I had to sell it since I couldnt get on well with its thick, quite forward midrange (in comparison with ck10) that decline the overall clarity. In my short list for 1000$ range, there are only the LS8, UERM and NT6 left. Therefore, could you give me some advices, Joe?
Thanks for your great help! Cheerz!

I haven't had much time to work on the NT6 review in the past week and have been working on a multi-amp review, but I have started and am about half way the review.  All three have similar notes like the CK10 and all three have great imaging like the CK10.  You may not like the bass enhancement with added warmth of the LS8 from the sounds of things and the bass region is where the differ the most.  Technically, the NT6 bass is a step above the rest as it is very capable and fully extended down.  The NT6 sounds a little thinner than the UERM because it is actually brighter with better clarity while the UERM midrange is a bit more laid back than that of the NT6, although the NT6 is more spacious overall.  The NT6 treble has better extension and makes the UERM treble sound slightly peaky.  Hope this helps.  

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #717 of 4,841

Quote:

The LS8 does not have a recessed midrange, nor does the S4.  Please reread here.  Bass of the UERM vs. the LS8 is in the LS8 review as I stated above in this thread.  I even copied it for you, please read that as well as the LS8 and UERM reviews if you are considering them.  

sorry, it just that I can't imagine the sound signature in my head even after reading what you wrote quite a few times. I guess it is because that I haven't heard many IEMs. Which one sounds more like the Klipsch S4 if you have heard it? UERM or LS8?

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #718 of 4,841

Quote:
sorry, it just that I can't imagine the sound signature in my head even after reading what you wrote quite a few times. I guess it is because that I haven't heard many IEMs. Which one sounds more like the Klipsch S4 if you have heard it? UERM or LS8?

No problem, I think I know where you may be coming from because multi-driver custom IEMs can have complexities to their sound that is different (in a good way) than a single dynamic. For example, when there are certain characteristics to the presentation, other characteristics follow, but some of the custom IEMs don't follow the traditional "rules."  Both the LS8 and UERM are much different than the S4 in the way the music is presented with more realism, space, detail, control, etc.  As far as frequency response, the LS8 is closer to the S4 and I would think that would be the better fit for you. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #719 of 4,841

Quote:

No problem, I think I know where you may be coming from because multi-driver custom IEMs can have complexities to their sound that is different (in a good way) than a single dynamic. For example, when there are certain characteristics to the presentation, other characteristics follow, but some of the custom IEMs don't follow the traditional "rules."  Both the LS8 and UERM are much different than the S4 in the way the music is presented with more realism, space, detail, control, etc.  As far as frequency response, the LS8 is closer to the S4 and I would think that would be the better fit for you. 

Thanks I appreciate all the help. If it wasn't for you and your reviews, I would of bought the Miracles and probably wouldn't like the sound signature. 

Another thing I would like to point out. I honestly could barely tell the difference from Klipsch S4 and Monster Turbine Pro Copper. I think the Coppers have tighter bass and the instruments are more detailed by a tiny margin. If thats the difference between $300 IEM and $100 IEM... then I don't even know if buying a custom IEM is worth it.

Are they durable? Im probably going to use it everyday. Will the colour fade?
and if one ear is not working after a few years, will Rooth fix it for me at a cost? how much

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #720 of 4,841
The fact is, thats what high end audio is - extreme increases of cost for tiny returns. A $100 or so Radius DDM is only slightly inferior to my $400 ATH ES10 (though the ES10 you obviously pay for looks - the HD 25s and DT1350, T50P are better price/performers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back