Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Aug 9, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #316 of 4,841

Quote:

What is your price range and are you opposed to buying from elsewhere in Europe?  With your list of headphones and since I have not heard any ACS and only Westone universals I am not so sure you would like the ES3X/UM3X, however the ES5 is getting rave reviews and I am sure the T series is pretty good.  I would actually think the Minerva Mi-3 would be a fairly good match for you with your list headphones or possibly the Fabs or even the SA-12.  You have to think of buying a custom IEM as a long term purchase so looking at all your options is the way to go and buying based off your preferred sound sig is ideal IMO.

Also, if you are seriously considering the ES3X, buy the UM3X first and see what you think of the sound signature.  If you like it then you can decide if you want custom sleeves or to go full custom.  In my experience, custom sleeves do usually improve the sound over stock tips, but not always depending on the tips/IEM/your anatomy.  Custom IEMs have everything put together in one shell and should perform better, however I only experienced a small difference between a universal TF10 and customized TF10, which you can read about here if you are interested.

Price range. I was thinking about €500 first. But when I got prices for the ACS and ES3x (€800 for triple drivers) I was thinking ow my!
Let's say my price range is €500 and I am looking for the best that money can buy. I will read some more reviews. At the moment I'm only considering customs or custom molds for existing IEM's with the signature I want. But because it's hard to really define what it is exactly that you like in a sound signature, it's still hit and miss. So I'm now looking into customs first. The reason I checked on UM3X was because price wize they are about a third without custom molds and like half with custom molds.

Are there people that heard both UM3X with or without custom molds and ES3X. Or reshelled UM3X?

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #317 of 4,841
Those three I mentioned seem like they may fit what you are looking for, but yes there is some risk.  However, to me the better technical performance of the customs vs. universals makes sound signatures that aren't exactly what you were looking for much more enjoyable!  

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #318 of 4,841

Quote:

Are there people that heard both UM3X with or without custom molds and ES3X. Or reshelled UM3X?

HeadphoneAddict has both UM3X & ES3X and also has the UM56 custom tips. He also owns other custom and universal IEMs, various amps and full-sized headphones. Send him a PM - I'm sure he'll give you some valuable information.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #319 of 4,841

Quote:
This is the review I would trust most on the CT7.  There is another on head-fi but the reviewer doesn't really describe the sound or compare it with anything meaningful IMO.  There are many options at around $500, so what are you looking for?  I would go with your sound signature preference over something just because you are getting a discount.

In fact i've own the Sleek SA-6 and i liked the sound that's why i'm a little eager about the CT7... Curious to ear what they can do with two dynamic drivers... Concerning my sound signature preference, i'm more in the "live" type (i like vocals)  with deep but well detailed bass (not basshead) and large sound stage. As i said, i'm looking for something to upgrade my EM2-Ifi with deeper bass and larger sound stage

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #320 of 4,841
Thanks.
I've read your reviews and I think I might like the TS842 . OK, it has recessed mids but good treble detail.
The last week I was listening to my RE262 and DDM's. The RE262 has very good soundstage, imaging and instrument seperation but the DDM is more intimate and has even more and better bass. I love the fit of the RE262, I can even easily sleep with them.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #321 of 4,841

Quote:
In fact i've own the Sleek SA-6 and i liked the sound that's why i'm a little eager about the CT7... Curious to ear what they can do with two dynamic drivers... Concerning my sound signature preference, i'm more in the "live" type (i like vocals)  with deep but well detailed bass (not basshead) and large sound stage. As i said, i'm looking for something to upgrade my EM2-Ifi with deeper bass and larger sound stage

Do you think the EM2-fi has a large soundstage?  The reason I am asking is because the EM3 Pro has a smallish soundstage (and huge amounts of bass when it is in the recording).  Dual dynamic drivers?  Sleek uses balanced armatures in their SA-6 and CT7.  The Infinity X3 does have deep bass and a large soundstage and that does also sound like the 1964-Q, but let us know what you decide to get and how they compare with the EM2-fi.  Although the price for the EM2-fi is more than or equal to what you are looking for which makes it difficult for an upgrade vs. a potential side grade. 

Quote:
Thanks.
I've read your reviews and I think I might like the TS842 . OK, it has recessed mids but good treble detail.
The last week I was listening to my RE262 and DDM's. The RE262 has very good soundstage, imaging and instrument seperation but the DDM is more intimate and has even more and better bass. I love the fit of the RE262, I can even easily sleep with them.

The TS842 is nice and has style bass that is very tight but doesn't lack any deep bass reverb.  I do prefer the TS842 with added impedance similar to the ER4S vs. ER4P.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #322 of 4,841

Quote:
Do you think the EM2-fi has a large soundstage?  The reason I am asking is because the EM3 Pro has a smallish soundstage (and huge amounts of bass when it is in the recording).  Dual dynamic drivers?  Sleek uses balanced armatures in their SA-6 and CT7.  The Infinity X3 does have deep bass and a large soundstage and that does also sound like the 1964-Q, but let us know what you decide to get and how they compare with the EM2-fi.  Although the price for the EM2-fi is more than or equal to what you are looking for which makes it difficult for an upgrade vs. a potential side grade. 

no, i don't think the EM2-iFI has a large soundstage but i haven't heard the EM3 so i can't compare them.
Sorry for the error about the SA-6 and thanks for the information about the X3 i'll look for more  intel on those three (CT7, Q and X3) then and i'll let you know the result of my search :wink:

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #323 of 4,841
Was it just my memory playing tricks on me or did I actually read that you (average_joe) are receiving a demo pair of Unique Melody (Miracles?) to audition? If so, when can we expect to read your impressions?

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #325 of 4,841

Quote:
Was it just my memory playing tricks on me or did I actually read that you (average_joe) are receiving a demo pair of Unique Melody (Miracles?) to audition? If so, when can we expect to read your impressions?

I will be getting them after |joker|, no memory tricks :wink:  When, I am not sure ATM.  

Quote:
- hey guys, has anyone tried shelling two of the same universal IEM into one custom IEM? i'm thinking of reshelling both SM3s i have on hand into one (=

Not that I know of but you may want to ask here to see if anyone has experience with doing what you are thinking of doing.  If you do reshell two universals into customs it may be difficult to get all the tube lengths the same length, and if they are longer the sound may change.

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #326 of 4,841

Quote:
- hey guys, has anyone tried shelling two of the same universal IEM into one custom IEM? i'm thinking of reshelling both SM3s i have on hand into one (=

That sounds like a really bad idea.  Sell them both and buy a proper custom if you ask me.

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #327 of 4,841

Quote:
That sounds like a really bad idea.  Sell them both and buy a proper custom if you ask me.

I concur with that giving the best results for the money an already existing custom IEM has been specifically tuned already and you never know what you will get with a reshell of something that doesn't exist.  But I am curious to know what that would sound like.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #328 of 4,841
It'd sound like more of the same :wink:

I want a custom with an ER-4 and CK10 driver in it, and have enquired with two companies if they'll do it, an extra bass driver would be nice too but then it's becoming a costly experiment, and I think the extra bass could overshadow some of the detail.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #329 of 4,841
That'd make for a killer combination, per se, but all things aside, irrespective of the drivers thrown into the mix, it's all in the way they're ultimately tuned of course.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #330 of 4,841
@kiteki, if they only have an equivalent REL sub for IEMs then you will not have to worry about bass messing the sound. But then again, it wont be an active sub =p darn this expensive hobby =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back