Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Aug 6, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #301 of 4,841

Quote:

No, no plan to get the JH13 at the moment.  There are so many others I would like to hear such as the ES5, 3Max, UERM, Q, T1, something from Compact Monitors, etc.  And the JH5 is higher on my scale than the 13 just because of the great price.  Not that it can't happen, but I imagine the JH13 would technically be close to the JH16 which won't change how it compares.

Oh...well thats a bummer. I was hoping the JH13 would be different. To be honest the 16s sound like I wont enjoy them too much. Not that their bad, but was hopeing for something 'fantastic', I guess. The ES5 and UERM sound promising tho. Maybe i'll wait till you review those as well. Not like i'm gonna be getting customs anytime soon. Its such a nerve-wracking purchase as i will only be getting 1 custom and that will be that. Hopefully. I dont think I can afford getting multiple customs. Thats why I have to make sure the one I get will be something I will like for a looong time.I know thats almost impossible since I could just wake up one day and say "Eh...i dont like this sound sig no more". See...nerve-wracking...
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #302 of 4,841

Quote:
For the UM's it seems yes.  I've spoken to at least a three people that confirm that w/ the UMs.  IME w/ the ES5 and UERM demos this is not the case.  They are very close.  I don't know why there would be the discrepancy.  But yeah voicing should be relatively accurate regardless.  

This might be a silly question, but how exactly do the demos differ from a proper production unit in terms of build and look? The demos would look like proper customs and not universals, I assume? I ask cuz I've never seen a demo unit before. The ACS T1 and JH13 units i've heard at Jaben actually belong to someone there and they lend it out patrons to try out, assuming it can somehow fit in your ears. Thankfully it did. Oh and dont worry, they clean the customs in front of you before letting you try it on. Just so you know you're not getting a dirty dirty custom. Hehe.

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #303 of 4,841

Quote:
Oh...well thats a bummer. I was hoping the JH13 would be different. To be honest the 16s sound like I wont enjoy them too much. Not that their bad, but was hopeing for something 'fantastic', I guess. The ES5 and UERM sound promising tho. Maybe i'll wait till you review those as well. Not like i'm gonna be getting customs anytime soon. Its such a nerve-wracking purchase as i will only be getting 1 custom and that will be that. Hopefully. I dont think I can afford getting multiple customs. Thats why I have to make sure the one I get will be something I will like for a looong time.I know thats almost impossible since I could just wake up one day and say "Eh...i dont like this sound sig no more". See...nerve-wracking...
tongue.gif

I really can't say for sure with the JH13 since I haven't stuck a pair in my ears, but I am speculating based off deductions from my reading about them.  I also have my preconceived notions about the ES5 and UERM but again won't know where they really rank and how they really sound until I get them myself.

And the SA-43 may be able to calm your nerves as you can change the sound to an extent with the switches!

Quote:
This might be a silly question, but how exactly do the demos differ from a proper production unit in terms of build and look? The demos would look like proper customs and not universals, I assume? I ask cuz I've never seen a demo unit before. The ACS T1 and JH13 units i've heard at Jaben actually belong to someone there and they lend it out patrons to try out, assuming it can somehow fit in your ears. Thankfully it did. Oh and dont worry, they clean the customs in front of you before letting you try it on. Just so you know you're not getting a dirty dirty custom. Hehe.

From what I have seen, demos look like a custom IEM but with a shorter nozzle that can accept ear tips.  The UE11 I tried long ago had a tip that looked like a universal tip as does the Spiral Ear demo, but not all look the same.

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #304 of 4,841

Quote:

I really can't say for sure with the JH13 since I haven't stuck a pair in my ears, but I am speculating based off deductions from my reading about them.  I also have my preconceived notions about the ES5 and UERM but again won't know where they really rank and how they really sound until I get them myself.

And the SA-43 may be able to calm your nerves as you can change the sound to an extent with the switches!

From what I have seen, demos look like a custom IEM but with a shorter nozzle that can accept ear tips.  The UE11 I tried long ago had a tip that looked like a universal tip as does the Spiral Ear demo, but not all look the same.

Yes, the Starkey sounds very impressive from your review, but between that the SE 5-way, I think I'm more interested in the 5-way. Again, am no tin a rush, so i'll just wait till i read more from your upcoming reviews, esp the ES5 and UERM. OR....I could just go crazy sometime soon and bite the bullet on the JH13!...Nah....doubt it...lol

Interesting, those demos look...weird. Never knew they made such things.

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #305 of 4,841
UM Aero (450$ with shipping, 3 drivers, 2-way, great custom possibilities for free) vs 1964ears-T (400$ without shipping, 3 drivers, 2-way, great custom possibilities for a lot of $$ in example silicon tips) vs Fidelity Triples (380$ without shipping, 3 drivers, 3-way, poor custom possibilities, pelican case) vs SpiralEars 2-way pro (360$ with shipping, 2 drivers, 2-way, no custom possibilities, fixed cables, silicon) vs anything else up to 450$ with international shipping.

Which one to go for the stage monitoring (drums)?

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #307 of 4,841
Maybe not 100% give up but your entry review is not something I would like to hear (about vocals and guitars :p). But right now I'm more into customs :p We will see what tomorrow will bring :D Added JH and AlienEars. How to make a decision... Right now I'm considering UM Aero, because they give me full customization without any additional payments :D Recessed sockets, silver faceplates, color shells and transparent tips. 3 drivers and detachable cables are good :D

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #308 of 4,841

Quote:
The Q does fit that bill, but I am not so sure how close the CT7 is.  A newcomer, DRM Earz also has an option with their 4X which I will be reviewing in the upcoming months and there are always Livewire Trips and a new company started by the person that now runs Livewires, Alclair.  And the JH5 might also be something worth checking out.  

Since i'm on the SA7 sign-up list, i have a special offer with the CT7 at 500$... The Q is perhaps a better price/performance than the others, am i wrong ? i'm very interested in the CT7 because of the drivers and at 500$ it may be a good choice ?...

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #309 of 4,841

Quote:
Maybe not 100% give up but your entry review is not something I would like to hear (about vocals and guitars :p). But right now I'm more into customs :p We will see what tomorrow will bring :D Added JH and AlienEars. How to make a decision... Right now I'm considering UM Aero, because they give me full customization without any additional payments :D Recessed sockets, silver faceplates, color shells and transparent tips. 3 drivers and detachable cables are good :D

As an actual drummer, you are in a niche group here, I think what almost all of us do here is just... listen to music! so the reviews are based on such, and our preferences vary for the type of music we're into and what kind of sound we like with that music.

It seems like you want a very pretty custom (who doesn't?), but maybe you should chcek out what some pro drummers use, I'm sure there's a bunch of drummers that have gone through different custom IEM's and found their favorites.

And yeah, the J-phonic do not have any particular focus on the drums at all, so you might get distracted by the other musicians =P To be honest the best reproduction of drums I've heard is in dynamic driver IEM's, but that's just me.  If you want to be adventurous you could get a dynamic driver IEM and put a custom tip on the end of it though =P Perhaps you should add the Thousand Sound TS842 to your list as well, it certainly looks cool and should deliver dynamic punch along with shimmering cymbals.

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #310 of 4,841

Quote:
UM Aero (450$ with shipping, 3 drivers, 2-way, great custom possibilities for free) vs 1964ears-T (400$ without shipping, 3 drivers, 2-way, great custom possibilities for a lot of $$ in example silicon tips) vs Fidelity Triples (380$ without shipping, 3 drivers, 3-way, poor custom possibilities, pelican case) vs SpiralEars 2-way pro (360$ with shipping, 2 drivers, 2-way, no custom possibilities, fixed cables, silicon) vs anything else up to 450$ with international shipping.

Which one to go for the stage monitoring (drums)?

Thousand Sound makes some good monitors and the TS842 would be great for drumming with a dynamic driver for bass, but the price is higher than your budget.  Add the Livewire Trips and Alclair triple drivers.  What qualities are important to you in the bass region?  Flat presentation, plenty of reverb, fast attack, etc?
Quote:
Since i'm on the SA7 sign-up list, i have a special offer with the CT7 at 500$... The Q is perhaps a better price/performance than the others, am i wrong ? i'm very interested in the CT7 because of the drivers and at 500$ it may be a good choice ?...

This is the review I would trust most on the CT7.  There is another on head-fi but the reviewer doesn't really describe the sound or compare it with anything meaningful IMO.  There are many options at around $500, so what are you looking for?  I would go with your sound signature preference over something just because you are getting a discount.

Aug 6, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #311 of 4,841

Quote:

As an actual drummer, you are in a niche group here, I think what almost all of us do here is just... listen to music! so the reviews are based on such, and our preferences vary for the type of music we're into and what kind of sound we like with that music.

It seems like you want a very pretty custom (who doesn't?), but maybe you should chcek out what some pro drummers use, I'm sure there's a bunch of drummers that have gone through different custom IEM's and found their favorites.

And yeah, the J-phonic do not have any particular focus on the drums at all, so you might get distracted by the other musicians =P To be honest the best reproduction of drums I've heard is in dynamic driver IEM's, but that's just me.  If you want to be adventurous you could get a dynamic driver IEM and put a custom tip on the end of it though =P Perhaps you should add the Thousand Sound TS842 to your list as well, it certainly looks cool and should deliver dynamic punch along with shimmering cymbals.

I like to have personalized stuff :D I know earphone in the shape of your ear may already be called "personalized" x) But if I can make it look like I see it, than why not? :D But after all sound quality and build quality is much more important.

I searched and asked through drummer's forums and among my drummer friends, but still most of them use monitor speakers, not earphones (at least not for monitoring purposes, just for metronome). And the rest, who use IEMs are not really aware of the sort of earphone they use. Buying "Shure around 100$" is enough for the most. Because main factor is that it should not fall during gig and not break easily. SQ is something secondary as long as you can more or less hear what you play.

After all, drummers spend a lot of time choosing instrument and tuning it. We (ok, at least me) believe it will sound good during gig, and don't need to hear it 100% accurate. Hearing dynamics of what we play has a much greater value when we talk about drum monitoring. But distortions are out of question. And hearing bass and other instruments nicely is great advantage.

Quote:

Thousand Sound makes some good monitors and the TS842 would be great for drumming with a dynamic driver for bass, but the price is higher than your budget.  Add the Livewire Trips and Alclair triple drivers.  What qualities are important to you in the bass region?  Flat presentation, plenty of reverb, fast attack, etc?

Yeah, I have already stretched my budget as far as I can (and a little further) so nothing more than 450$ with shipping is acceptable :p After all, even if I already play gigs for over 200 audience, we still get just return fees for transport. And that won't change for some time.

The qualities I expect from bass region (and also through the whole spectrum) are: detailed, fast and reasonably flat. I don't need to have a lot of bass. I can eq it with mixer and also through E11 amp bass boost if needed. The best iems I owned for now was nuforce NE-6, which was quite good for me but not enough for monitoring. Also I had EP630 - this one was very muddy; and q-jays one - bass covers wide part of spectrum in my opinion. In home I use ATH-A900 and 25 year old rig composed of Yamaha A-720 and some 10 years old speakers (Diora Polaris 200 :p). So as you can see I yet never heard any BA driver. But I believe it must be good and also I get used to the sound very fast.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #314 of 4,841
Good thread with lots of info. I still have some questions.
I live in Belgium and the only customs I find there easily available are ACS and Variphone (Westone).
I've read some reviews about those. The ES3X seems to come out better for me, sound signature-wize.
My headphone inventory includes: RE262, RE-ZERO, Xears TD-III, Superlux HD668B, Brainwavz M1, Radius DDM1.
In the past I have owned RE0, Sunrise Xcape v1.
Now I mostly listen to RE262, RE-ZERO and Superlux HD668B.
The sound of the RE0 is still what I prefer, the sibilance and very tight controlled bass if used with a warm amp.
The RE262 lacks the sparkly treble but has excellent soundstage, mids and bass.
Superlux HD668B is a tad dry and thin.
It's probably very hard deciding which custom as I am noticing and even harder when you are looking for a particular soundsig in the process.
Another question I have is about the ES3X compared to UM3x with custom earmolds. I like the fact that I can let other people listen to my IEM's and with customs you can forget about that, so that's why I am also thinking about a universal with custom molds. How does that affect the sound and what are the differences between the universal version of the customs?
If anyone has experiences in Belgium.
Thanks in advance.

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #315 of 4,841

Quote:
Good thread with lots of info. I still have some questions.
I live in Belgium and the only customs I find there easily available are ACS and Variphone (Westone).
I've read some reviews about those. The ES3X seems to come out better for me, sound signature-wize.
My headphone inventory includes: RE262, RE-ZERO, Xears TD-III, Superlux HD668B, Brainwavz M1, Radius DDM1.
In the past I have owned RE0, Sunrise Xcape v1.
Now I mostly listen to RE262, RE-ZERO and Superlux HD668B.
The sound of the RE0 is still what I prefer, the sibilance and very tight controlled bass if used with a warm amp.
The RE262 lacks the sparkly treble but has excellent soundstage, mids and bass.
Superlux HD668B is a tad dry and thin.
It's probably very hard deciding which custom as I am noticing and even harder when you are looking for a particular soundsig in the process.
Another question I have is about the ES3X compared to UM3x with custom earmolds. I like the fact that I can let other people listen to my IEM's and with customs you can forget about that, so that's why I am also thinking about a universal with custom molds. How does that affect the sound and what are the differences between the universal version of the customs?
If anyone has experiences in Belgium.
Thanks in advance.

What is your price range and are you opposed to buying from elsewhere in Europe?  With your list of headphones and since I have not heard any ACS and only Westone universals I am not so sure you would like the ES3X/UM3X, however the ES5 is getting rave reviews and I am sure the T series is pretty good.  I would actually think the Minerva Mi-3 would be a fairly good match for you with your list headphones or possibly the Fabs or even the SA-12.  You have to think of buying a custom IEM as a long term purchase so looking at all your options is the way to go and buying based off your preferred sound sig is ideal IMO.

Also, if you are seriously considering the ES3X, buy the UM3X first and see what you think of the sound signature.  If you like it then you can decide if you want custom sleeves or to go full custom.  In my experience, custom sleeves do usually improve the sound over stock tips, but not always depending on the tips/IEM/your anatomy.  Custom IEMs have everything put together in one shell and should perform better, however I only experienced a small difference between a universal TF10 and customized TF10, which you can read about here if you are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back