MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread
Jan 13, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #361 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MS2 would be a damn good thing for electronic but its missing one vital thing, deep..bass.

Interesting you say that, was just noticing how much my Sony MDR-7506's outpound my MS-2 in the subsonic octaves. Don't get me wrong, those 30-50hz drum machine sounds are still there, just not as thunderous as my closed phones like the Beyer DT-250 or 7506. Really not a factor in a lot of classic rock and classical, but for Hip-Hop you might miss it a little.

What I have been using my MS-2's a lot for lately is practicin on my Bass Guitar, since I live in a condo and really can't fire up even a practice Amp without annoying the neighbors. The slightly less thumpy low end of the MS2 has the by prouct of allowing them to handle more dynamic passage without farting out. It doesn't take much to get the 7506 and DT-250 totally distorted with a solid pluck on my E string, but the MS2 stays relatively composed by comparison.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #362 of 512
Right now Im really loving my Ms2i+K601 combo cans. They can handle most of music types IMO.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #365 of 512
MS2i is maybe a little bit less revealing than the HD650. However with distorted guitars the MS2i outshines the HD650 on certain albums. MS2i doesn't go as deep as the HD650 (bass) but it has great impact. Fast transients also.
Don't know how it compares to the HD580 though as I've never heard it.
Very upfront sound to the MS2i and soundstage is in your face compared to sennheiser.

They are both awesome headphones.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #366 of 512
I have to throw a "hell ya" to the MS-2i. I've heard them in a couple of meets and have been impressed each time. We had the RS-1 and GS-1k with them and I felt the MS-2i was better with electric music. The metal can gives fast attack and eye blinking impact. While the other two handled acoustic and natural instruments better, for energy genre, the MS-2 kills.

I heard them with flats and bass was aplenty. Soundstage is another matter but if you want that, you use a different tool. When I have the cash to spare, these will find their way to my humble abode.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #368 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was interested in is sonic qualities in comparison to the HD580 which I own and love. I dont like cans with harsh sounding highs like my DT770.

these cans do sound good on tracks with lots of strings.(sweet child of mine,old time rock and roll, or even eva cassidy's people get ready) i dont think its for you b/c for me these cans scream harshness. i was listening to norah jones' don't know why and i have to remove the headphones right when she started singing. i dont know but it felt like she was singing right in my ear. the music is really in your face.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #370 of 512
Grado highs can be deadly. They will have shriller highs than the 580s. They will sound clearer than the 580s unless you have a good amp. If you are used to the Senn sound, you may think the Grados are bright. The MS-2i is a bit mellower than the Grado but still a Grado.

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #371 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado highs can be deadly. They will have shriller highs than the 580s. They will sound clearer than the 580s unless you have a good amp. If you are used to the Senn sound, you may think the Grados are bright. The MS-2i is a bit mellower than the Grado but still a Grado.

Thats pretty much what I figured, but I have never heard them for myself. Id rather stay in my happy place, than venture into more unknown relms.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Mar 26, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #372 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by split_brain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS2i is maybe a little bit less revealing than the HD650. However with distorted guitars the MS2i outshines the HD650 on certain albums. MS2i doesn't go as deep as the HD650 (bass) but it has great impact. Fast transients also.
Don't know how it compares to the HD580 though as I've never heard it.
Very upfront sound to the MS2i and soundstage is in your face compared to sennheiser.

They are both awesome headphones.

Good summary, and some ppl said that HD650 can beat ms2i in every aspect but I dont agree.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #374 of 512
How does the treble of the MS2i's compare to the treble of the RS1's?

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #375 of 512
The RS-1s are somewhat tamed compared to the MS-2. The difference is in the can material. Wood tends to soften a tad where the metal gives the full bore effect if the source material is bright.

Both will bring those electric instruments out in full glory. Just be careful with the volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back