MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread
Oct 3, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #346 of 512
I'm also interested to know this. I was looking at the MS-Pro but they cost almost three times as much here in Aus than the MS2s. Is it really worth the difference, given that I use a portable amp (3Move) and listen mostly to post-rock, ambient/instrumental, and some ordinary rock (but not hip-hop or "hard" rock)? I currently have the AD700s but wanted something a bit different, with a bit more impact. Or could you recommend another pair of headphones that might suit my needs/music?

Thanks a lot.

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #347 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by LogicalDisconnect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also interested to know this. I was looking at the MS-Pro but they cost almost three times as much here in Aus than the MS2s. Is it really worth the difference, given that I use a portable amp (3Move) and listen mostly to post-rock, ambient/instrumental, and some ordinary rock (but not hip-hop or "hard" rock)? I currently have the AD700s but wanted something a bit different, with a bit more impact. Or could you recommend another pair of headphones that might suit my needs/music?

Thanks a lot.

i think ms2 will be great for your music. plus ms2 is easy to drive. in my experience, they sounded wonderful driven by portable amps (headsix, pico, predator, 2move).
i really loved the sound but i got rid of them because of the comfort level.
im now a happy owner of hd600.
600smile.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #349 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by LogicalDisconnect /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks a lot.

I really liked the MS2 I had and sometimes would like to listen to them again. I have not heard the MSPro, but one thing which made me choose my RS1 and sell the MS2 was the more open sound of the RS1. I would imagine that the difference between MS2 and MSPro to be something similar to the difference between the RS1 and MS2.

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #350 of 512
After I'd had my MS-1 for a few months I realized that I really wanted something a bit better, so I did a search on everything I could find here, and wherever else I could find stuff about the MS2 and RS2(I called it my "Battle of the Twos"!)Yup; after a bunch of study, the two twos were the top two.

So anyway; I went all the way back to day one for both of these two twos and read everything I could set my eyes on and what I learned was that the MS2 and MS2i were right from day one about the only model from most any manufacturer that had almost no negatives written about it. About the only reason they were sold was when folks wanted something quite similar, only better, and usually with wooden housings, not because they had any complaint about the MS2/MS2i, they just wanted to move up. Some folks had a problem with the weight of course, and about comfort, but almost, or very very few, complaints at all about SQ. The impression I got from comparing the MS2i to the MS-Pro and RS-1 through as many comments as I could get my monitor around, was that the MS2i SQ was like 85-90% of its wooden brethrin.

This couple of month MS2i Dry Spell really is quite unusual for the breed, ain't never happened before in the history of this forum. I guess if people can afford to move on and have a higher quality system that will support a higher quality set of cans; they will, and that's cool.

Where's the MS2i Fan Club these days? Shucks; I dunno.

But in my estimation, the MS2i is in about the same class as the Sennheiser HD600 in materials, build quality, and SQ, and I find that the MS2i and HD600 are a perfect compliment to each other at the opposite ends(but with bunches of overlap in the middle)of the musical spectrum. So that puts in it very good company all by itself.

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #351 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After I'd had my MS-1 for a few months I realized that I really wanted something a bit better, so I did a search on everything I could find here...

Yes, for me it was the SR80 for a weekend...

Can someone provide measurements? I'm trying to put together a hard case for them and doing some odd shopping on...like, lunchbox webistes and etc. Pistol cases? It's all over the place, but without really knowing dimensions it is even more obscure. I returned the SR80s before measuring, so no luck there...

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #352 of 512
i'm considering getting a pair of ms2s to compliment my dt440 durnig times i want to have short, energetic listening session.

I've heard that they are often great for short sessions but ppl often find them too fatiguing for longer sessions.

My dt440 will also be the choice for movie/video watching as I imagine they'll have the bette soundstage of the 2.

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #354 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, for me it was the SR80 for a weekend...

Can someone provide measurements? I'm trying to put together a hard case for them and doing some odd shopping on...like, lunchbox webistes and etc. Pistol cases? It's all over the place, but without really knowing dimensions it is even more obscure. I returned the SR80s before measuring, so no luck there...

Oh yeah; I was gonna take some measurements the other day, but I lost my "Roundtuit".

The housings with Bowl pads installed is about 2" deep overall.

The Bowl pad diameter is just a few microns greater than 3".

The width of the headband is about 1.5".

The outer aluminum housing diameter is about 2.5".

From the "bottom" of the Bowl pads to the "top" of the headband is from about 7" with the adjustment "tight". to about 8" with the extenders full out.

The depth of cutout in a housing would be a minimum of about 2" with Bowl pads.

Overall width of the housings with my average to small/average size ear to ear dimension is about 7".

Hope I didn't miss anything too important!

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #355 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldsEndWombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the fatigue doesn't come from the sound but from the fit, but I would say it's quite minor. I often have my ms2i on my head for 2-3 hrs.

Hmmm, interesting point. I generally give comfort little value when deciding headphones to be honest. As long as a pair of headphones don't have excessive clamping force, i find that i'm not put off if headbands lack padding or anythign like that; probably because I have quite a lot of thick hair.

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #356 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by nef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, interesting point. I generally give comfort little value when deciding headphones to be honest. As long as a pair of headphones don't have excessive clamping force, i find that i'm not put off if headbands lack padding or anythign like that; probably because I have quite a lot of thick hair.

One thing to remember though; is that the headband can be bent any way you want from here to next week. As a matter of fact; it's design and intent is to be bent and bent again until you get it so it's just right.

It took me about four tries on my MS-1 to get them perfect, but only two attempts on my MS2i!

see.....I CAN be trained!
tongue.gif

So yeah; twist them into knots of ya want to, they won't mind. They're infinitely adjustable!

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #358 of 512
For electric instruments, the MS-2 is the best I've heard. Of course I'm pretty new to the hp thing but I think they sound better than the RS-1 for high energy genre like metal, electronic, bass heavy music. I think it has to do with the metal can vs plastic or wood.

I envy you guys.

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #360 of 512
Just got mine from arteom...who posted last, ha.

These are great for rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back