MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread
Dec 8, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #136 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a bit like hp2 and rs1 but it still has that ms2i-ness
cool.gif

that is only with flat pads or vwap. havent heard modded 414 pads or comfy pads on this but i think that it will sound pretty similar to flat pads

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #137 of 512
I finally received mine yesterday.

My music now sounds like music should, or as near to it as I've ever experienced. I can't wait 'til they burn in.

I had heard a lot about how they were too heavy and/or that Grado bowls were uncomfortable; obviously the people who made these claims have never tried the HD280 Pro.

I loves my MS-2i.
rs1smile.gif

They are so damn pretty.

Dec 26, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #138 of 512
I've had mine for about 1/2 a year and I love them. I use them with reversed bowls, I'll buy flats one day. I used to use them with an 0404 and a PA2v2 but I'll be buying a Corda Aria one of these days hopefully.

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #140 of 512
MS2i eargasm!!

I was discussing Andres Segovia with another Head-Fier a couple days ago and was commenting about how the old recording I was listening to could only be listened to through MS-1s because of ancient recording artifacts. True; the MS2i is just too revealing for this particular recording.

A few moments ago I decided to listen to it through the MS2i just for fun. It sounded pretty bad, but listenable.

It had been a while since I had listened to the whole CD, but the second half is a well recorded group of Bach pieces played by John Williams, and when part two began unexpectedly.....WOW...eargasm!!

Other than feeling the vibrations of the body of the instrument or the sore fingertips, it was if "I" were playing the guitar!!

....now if I could only play that well!
frown.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #142 of 512
I know I should be only praising here, but mine develop a tendency of collecting dust. The DT880 sound much better for most electronica & classical, and the MS1 is a lot more portable (and not that inferior in sound department).

The MS2 really shines with stringed and acoustical instruments as well as human voices. However, I'm not a jazz- and rockhead, so that vice is somewhat redundant. I'll wait what happens when I've put the liberator spacers on them...

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #143 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MS2 really shines with stringed and acoustical instruments as well as human voices. However, I'm not a jazz- and rockhead, so that vice is somewhat redundant. I'll wait what happens when I've put the liberator spacers on them...

well, nickchen...the srange thing about the MS2(i) appreciation thread (as opposed to most other fanboy... eh appreciation threads) is that this one seems to value honesty as well as praise.

So let me just turn your honest remark into some praise for mine
tongue.gif
I listen to lots of string instruments, whether in rock/metal (The Mars Volta, QOTSA, Millionaire, editors, the Godmachine, Tool, ...); postrock & drone (from The Album Leaf, Mogwai, Sigur Ros,... to GY!BE, Mono, EITS, Maseratti, Red Sparowes... and even The Melvins, Earth, Pelican, Jesu and Sunn O)),...); singer songwriter & new weird folk (Damien Rice, Wilco, Anthony & the johnsons, Low, Lambchop,...); in short, what we in Belgium call Duyster music (named after a brilliant radio show) (Bright eyes, Magnolia electric co., Soulsavers,...); stonerrock (Kyuss, Orange Goblin, Masters of Reality,...); but also jazz (charles mingus etc.) and smallish (new) classical (Bach, cello suites ; Arvo Pärt; ...) and with all the aforementioned genres and bands I love my MS2i's!

I like my SR-60 (but they are €100 in Belgium already), I like my D66SL as it gives some kind of isolation, I kinda like the KSC75 as they do not mess up the hair, occasionally like the Panasonic RP-JE50 as they let me live through flights, keep giving away each P(M)X100 I get, only keep my A900 around for watching movies/listening music when my girlfriend tries to sleep and have given away my HD497, MX350, MX450 already... but I think the MS2i is here to stay!

I like H-F, but I have no real use for it anymore, as I think I have found my end-all price/quality cans and even my setup perhaps (Marantz CD5001 > HeadFive > Cantsleep 200Ω adapter > MS2i)

Just for show, I'll add some glory shots of the MS2i (+ SR-60) because this industrial looking can deserves some praise as well
wink.gif

PS: be sure to follow the link in my sig as well for further 'scientific' praise
tongue.gif

IMG_0567.jpg

our subject

MS2i-02-1.jpg

in closeup

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

it just loves to pose

IMG_0575.jpg

with its smaller brother (in-law)

IMG_0598.jpg

and finally his wardrobe
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #145 of 512
I'am still loving the ms2i even after a couple of years I still ask myself why didn't I just go straight for the mspro ... lol

will get to them eventually but in the meantime, ms2i gives me that adreneline rush when I need it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #146 of 512
I've had my MS2i for nearly a year and I'm just as happy with them as I was the day they arrived. They still look like new too!

I was almost wishing I'd have gone straight for the MS-Pro also, but it was the Wife and Kids who got together and got me the MS2i for my birthday. I had gone through a phase where the MS-Pro was almost making me dislike the MS2i, but surprisingly it was the new larger headband and actually the heft and secure feeling of the aluminum housings that helped me get over it, that, and my total system which may not be up to the standards required for the MS-Pro. Anyway, I've even added weights back to my MS-1 to make them feel more like the MS2i!

Another thing that helped me get over the MS-Pro. I got some HD600! I feel that these two sets of phones are so well matched in over-all sound quality and build quality that it would be a crime to have one set exceed the other!

At my age; these two are undoubtedly my "final" sets of phones!

...now; since I can't find one amp which will adequately drive them both equally well, I'm looking for TWO headphone amps. I'm gonna be here for a while!

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #147 of 512
I plan on upgrading to the MS-2i at the end of the year. Although Absolute0's MS-Pro in the sale forum is sorely tempting me.

Jun 29, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #149 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my MS2i for nearly a year and I'm just as happy with them as I was the day they arrived. They still look like new too!

I was almost wishing I'd have gone straight for the MS-Pro also, but it was the Wife and Kids who got together and got me the MS2i for my birthday. I had gone through a phase where the MS-Pro was almost making me dislike the MS2i, but surprisingly it was the new larger headband and actually the heft and secure feeling of the aluminum housings that helped me get over it, that, and my total system which may not be up to the standards required for the MS-Pro. Anyway, I've even added weights back to my MS-1 to make them feel more like the MS2i!

Another thing that helped me get over the MS-Pro. I got some HD600! I feel that these two sets of phones are so well matched in over-all sound quality and build quality that it would be a crime to have one set exceed the other!

At my age; these two are undoubtedly my "final" sets of phones!

...now; since I can't find one amp which will adequately drive them both equally well, I'm looking for TWO headphone amps. I'm gonna be here for a while!

Based on my experience the Opera will drive both well.

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #150 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by gswpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on my experience the Opera will drive both well.

According to my experience, the Opera doesn't drive them significantly better than the Aria. And the Aria is quite on par with the Millet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back