**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #736 of 3,203
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. The original headphones are only around $120. I'm surprised dampening and pads can make this sound better than the LCD2/LCD3, which cost $1000 - $2000, and I have to wonder why it's so expensive.

my mental sum went this way in the beginning...if i try to mod this on my own :
t50rp .................120
alphapads..........60
v moda cable.....50?
headstrap..........50
satin bag...........20
tuning................ how many man hours..?
postage charges for all the individual items 

So the MADDOGS are definitely not overpriced, for modding wannabes like me 
tongue.gif

V-Moda cable = $12
Satin bag = $10

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #737 of 3,203
my mental sum for the balanced option is screwed, can someone help me out... :p

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #738 of 3,203
So a lot of ppl seem to disagree that orthos and tubes dont go well in general, but does somebody specifically use the firefly/md 3.2 combination? I used the unmodded fostex t50rp (and later with sh840 pads + bayer dynamic headband cushion) and well I liked the sound enough to consider the MDs as an upgrade. However its like 50 USD shipping to Taiwan so i am hesitating.

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #739 of 3,203
first class package to taipei is only 24bucks...will reach u in so many days..bar the typhoons.
beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #743 of 3,203
For those trying the mental sum for value of the mod, think of it like this:

There once was a factory, with a machine that made $50,000 an hour worth of product. This machine went out of balance. They called in a consulting engineer, who charged them $100,000.25. He ran a test, and put a chalk mark on a shaft, and told the mechanic to add 5 grams of weight right there. The machine worked like new. The whole thing took the engineer 30 minutes. When questioned on the rates, he said simply "$.25 for the chalk, $100,000. for knowing where to put the mark". Materials definitely do not cost $300, or $400 for the balanced pair. The extra allows Mr. Speakers to run a successful business bringing a wonderful headphone to the public. What justifies the cost above materials? Mr. Speakers knows where the chalk mark goes.

I'll add that the spread between materials and price for Mad Dogs is likely much smaller than for most headphones on the market.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #747 of 3,203
Quote:
For those trying the mental sum for value of the mod, think of it like this:

There once was a factory, with a machine that made $50,000 an hour worth of product. This machine went out of balance. They called in a consulting engineer, who charged them $100,000.25. He ran a test, and put a chalk mark on a shaft, and told the mechanic to add 5 grams of weight right there. The machine worked like new. The whole thing took the engineer 30 minutes. When questioned on the rates, he said simply "$.25 for the chalk, $100,000. for knowing where to put the mark". Materials definitely do not cost $300, or $400 for the balanced pair. The extra allows Mr. Speakers to run a successful business bringing a wonderful headphone to the public. What justifies the cost above materials? Mr. Speakers knows where the chalk mark goes.

I'll add that the spread between materials and price for Mad Dogs is likely much smaller than for most headphones on the market.

I lol'd. Very logical way of looking at it. 

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back