**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #766 of 3,203
I suppose the issues aren't with the headphones themselves.  I didn't expect them to be so resolving.  The HD650's kind of mask everything.  I stream a lot of online content, some hd and some not, some 320kbps and lossless but google play loves to save their bandwidth and there-in lies the issue, sometimes I get crap source material when it's listed as hd.  Otherwise, they're fine headphones, I don't find them dark at all.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #769 of 3,203
IMO There's no doubt that they lean towards the dark side, but it's much less that i thought it would be after reading the reviews.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #772 of 3,203
I didn't even like the shure pads that much.  I had the Paradox with the shure pads as well.  I sent my Mad Dogs back to Dan to get the Dog Pads put on.  At the time it was an improvement.

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #773 of 3,203
I didn't even like the shure pads that much.  I had the Paradox with the shure pads as well.  I sent my Mad Dogs back to Dan to get the Dog Pads put on.  At the time it was an improvement.

I never had the dog pads but these alpha pads blow the shure pads out of the water for sure

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #774 of 3,203
Quote:
I suppose the issues aren't with the headphones themselves.  I didn't expect them to be so resolving.  The HD650's kind of mask everything.  I stream a lot of online content, some hd and some not, some 320kbps and lossless but google play loves to save their bandwidth and there-in lies the issue, sometimes I get crap source material when it's listed as hd.  Otherwise, they're fine headphones, I don't find them dark at all.

I actually agree with you. While the Mad Dogs are dark overall it does have edgy treble at times. The problem presents itself almost randomly in certain tracks. I know it's weird because how can a dark headphone have annoying treble, but this problem also occurs in the LCD-2. There is a edginess/roughness to the treble at certain times while the phones are very dark overall. Weird, but this is how I experience it with my Mad Dog 3.1 and LCD-2 R2.

Just to be clear this "problem" isn't all that noticeable or a big deal. The Mad Dogs are amazing at their price point and you just have give up some things at this price point. But it did bother me so I have to be honest and agree with Uchiya.

Just wanted to add that Dan's a super nice guy and it was pleasure to audition the Mad Dogs. Might even get the balanced 3.2 if finances allow in the future. Would love to try it on my Emotiva.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #775 of 3,203
I just can't imagine anyone thinking the LCD-2.2 treble is edgey/grainy...

I guess we all hear different, in this case very different.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #776 of 3,203
There is a bit of hardness and aggressiveness to the lcd2 treble.  It's not as nimble and soft as some other open headphones I've heard.  For example, both he-400 and dt990 have a softer treble, even though their treble responses are way more elevated in comparison.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #777 of 3,203
Quote:
There is a bit of hardness and aggressiveness to the lcd2 treble.  It's not as nimble and soft as some other open headphones I've heard.

+1

I actually preferred the Q701s to the LCD-2. I'm incapable of explaining exactly why but I felt the Q701 offered a smoother treble... In addition to the wider soundstage, I imagine that's why I sold the LCD-2s.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #778 of 3,203
Quote:
Quote:
There is a bit of hardness and aggressiveness to the lcd2 treble.  It's not as nimble and soft as some other open headphones I've heard.

+1

I actually preferred the Q701s to the LCD-2. I'm incapable of explaining exactly why but I felt the Q701 offered a smoother treble... In addition to the wider soundstage, I imagine that's why I sold the LCD-2s.

Q701... Smoother treble... 
blink.gif

The treble sounds really artificial compared to the MDs and my Stax.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #779 of 3,203
Quote:
I just can't imagine anyone thinking the LCD-2.2 treble is edgey/grainy...

I guess we all hear different, in this case very different.
rolleyes.gif

I agree E..  To me the treble of the LCD-2.2 is shelved.  I need to turn the volume up to get at the level I want.  IMO the treble of the HE-400s are opposite, something like Miles Davis Trumpet would be very hard.  The treble of the HE-500s are very smooth but still can bite a tad bit.  I find the treble of the Mad Dogs to play in the same ball park as the HE-500s with out the bite.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #780 of 3,203
its gotta do with the setup...or that gritty cd...
popcorn.gif

the maddog i auditioned was childproofed, no cutting edges...on the ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back