**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #481 of 3,203
Hopefully not too off topic.  Besides emailing Dan, which I have done on another question, but don't want to be a pest.

How can you tell which version I have?  I bought one pair directly from him and they are 3.2, but I also purchased a used pair to just have.  How can I positively tell what version they are?  I'm almost sure they are 3.2, but not 100%.

Thanks

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #482 of 3,203
Hopefully not too off topic.  Besides emailing Dan, which I have done on another question, but don't want to be a pest.

How can you tell which version I have?  I bought one pair directly from him and they are 3.2, but I also purchased a used pair to just have.  How can I positively tell what version they are?  I'm almost sure they are 3.2, but not 100%.

Thanks

The only way to know for sure is to know the exact purchase date. When they were shipped.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #483 of 3,203
Quote:
The FA-003/HM5 pads don't easily fit the T50RP. I'm honestly not sure how some people stretch them on, because they're quite small compared to what the T50RP needs otherwise.

My guess is that I doubt it would work very well.

I know that Headfi-er zach915m glues them on his ZMF's, see http://www.zachmehrbach.com/zmf-faq/

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #484 of 3,203
  hi guys..my mad dogs will be arriving soon 
biggrin.gif
 ..What portable amp would be the better for the Mad Dogs? portable amp below $200 ?
fiio e17 or the c&c bh..or other recommendations? i will be using it with my ipodtouch 2g..

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #486 of 3,203
I usually only browse the threads I'm subscribed to and I was thinking where the heck is everyone from the mad dogs thread and here you all are lol

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #487 of 3,203
I usually only browse the threads I'm subscribed to and I was thinking where the heck is everyone from the mad dogs thread and here you all are lol

You sniffed us out *rimshot*

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #489 of 3,203
Quote:
The only way to know for sure is to know the exact purchase date. When they were shipped.

Excellent.  Thanks.  Is there a date database?  I have the dates.  Or, what are the dates of the latest revision?  Specifically regarding the internal mods, the alpha pads are easy to buy and put on.

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #490 of 3,203
Quote:
Excellent.  Thanks.  Is there a date database?  I have the dates.  Or, what are the dates of the latest revision?  Specifically regarding the internal mods, the alpha pads are easy to buy and put on.

Here is an excerpt from the April Newsletter that has the dates in it.

"We’ll be using versions going forward, so it should be much easier for people to discuss their experience online.
  1. Version 1-Shure 840 Pads
  2. Version 2-Dog Pads
    1. Smoother and more balanced sound
    2. Improved comfort and isolation
  3. Version 3-Mad Dog with Alpha Pad purchased before March 17 or Dog Pad units upgraded to Alpha Pads
    1. Even better comfort, isolation
    2. Smoother neutral/dark signature
    3. Warmer lower mids
  4. Version 3.1-Mad Dog with Alpha Pads purchased between March 17 and April 12
    1. Increased bass extension (slightly) and increased upper mids and treble to make the phone less dark (still dark/neutral)
  5. Version 3.2-Mad Dog with Alpha Pads purchased April 13 and on
    1. Still more sub-bass extension
    2. Also a bit more upper mid energy for more presence, reduced congestion, and more air up top.  Cymbals have more brass to them, and strings are more airy and natural sounding"

So the short round up:

3.0 - Before March 17th
3.1 - Between March 17th and April 12th.
3.2 - April 13th to present.

Edit: If you are still unsure or want 100% verification, then emailing Dan would be the most accurate. This will be accurate enough for most.

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #491 of 3,203
Quote:

Here is an excerpt from the April Newsletter that has the dates in it.

"We’ll be using versions going forward, so it should be much easier for people to discuss their experience online.
  1. Version 1-Shure 840 Pads
  2. Version 2-Dog Pads
    1. Smoother and more balanced sound
    2. Improved comfort and isolation
  3. Version 3-Mad Dog with Alpha Pad purchased before March 17 or Dog Pad units upgraded to Alpha Pads
    1. Even better comfort, isolation
    2. Smoother neutral/dark signature
    3. Warmer lower mids
  4. Version 3.1-Mad Dog with Alpha Pads purchased between March 17 and April 12
    1. Increased bass extension (slightly) and increased upper mids and treble to make the phone less dark (still dark/neutral)
  5. Version 3.2-Mad Dog with Alpha Pads purchased April 13 and on
    1. Still more sub-bass extension
    2. Also a bit more upper mid energy for more presence, reduced congestion, and more air up top.  Cymbals have more brass to them, and strings are more airy and natural sounding"

So the short round up:

3.0 - Before March 17th
3.1 - Between March 17th and April 12th.
3.2 - April 13th to present.

Edit: If you are still unsure or want 100% verification, then emailing Dan would be the most accurate. This will be accurate enough for most.

exactly what i was looking for.   thank you.  

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #492 of 3,203
how about a sticker of the version when it is being shipped...or is there one already? 
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #493 of 3,203
There is, we started about a month ago...

EDIT: It's a small sticker on the leather strap under the FOSTEX headband.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #494 of 3,203
Anyone here have any IEMs that match or are similar to the current MD's sound signature? Or is the GR07 MK2 as close as it gets?

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #495 of 3,203
I actually am borrowing Dimitri/Musica Acoustic's Mad Dogs however I'm unfamiliar with what version it is as I don't know when he obtained it (possibly in April's NYC meet? Or CES back in Jan?).

Any identifying marks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back