**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #451 of 3,203
Quote:
If i get the Mad Dog, i'll probably get a half decent portable amp as well (NuForce MMP, Digiziod ZO2).

I'm still kinda on the fence about the Mad Dog. I see some people talking about how they love how low the bass goes, and that it has just the right amount of punch and weight, but other people say how they are defenitely not for bassheads. 

I wouldnt really call myself that much of a basshead (but then again, my idea of a basshead is someone with 4 subs in the trunk, and XB500s around their neck)

Do you guys think that the Mad Dog will statisfy on stuff like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWNteSeRHec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk6ecO5ijnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGssAAItomU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpD-yf_vHYA

So i listend to Pretty lights - Hot like dimes on both the MD's and my V-Moda M100

My impression is that the MD's can easily handle this music but they need power to do so. There's plenty of bass present although on this song, you can hear that it's not really low low bass. The V-Moda's by comparison needed much less power but they reach their full potential of volume well before the Mad Dogs. At that point the M100's were blowing me away with power on the bass end but there is NO way even I (certifiable bass head) could listen very long. The MD's, on the otherhand, seem to just ask for more volume and never hurt you.You can feel the bass, the never seem to get distorted and you can hear them get louder but the delivery is different.

If the vast majority of your music is like this you may be better of with the Moda's (you'll just need to have your ears replaced in 4 months lol).

Seriously the MD's do as well across multiple genres as any phones out there, but if your intent is to stay just with D&B/dubstep/EDM then you'd be better off with something with more of a V shape. (IMHO)

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #452 of 3,203
Quote:
TM Raven did  a nice review/comparison of the MD vs he400. Check it out over on the he400 thread. Here is a clip from the conclusion:

I think the Mad Dogs are overall a more refined headphone with a more balanced sound signature that I’d definitely use to mix songs with over the HE-400, however the qualities of the HE-400 make it a more realistic experience and fun listen for me. Even though I still prefer the HE-400 over the Mad Dogs, I think the Mad Dogs are the 2nd best total package in a headphone for the value I’ve experienced so far.  It will jump right to the top of my recommendation list for lots of people, as I feel that you probably wont’ get a better all-arounder in a headphone: isolation, comfort, balance, clean bass extension, portability, sturdiness… it has it all, and for a great price too.   Dan Clark has created very good headphone.  If what Mad Lust Envy said was true—that the Koss ESP950 sounds like an open Mad-Dog—than damn… that must be an incredible headphone.

Hmm, I'd personally have to disagree here. I currently own both the HE-400 and MD and I think the MD is definitely better overall for any music genre. The HE-400's treble spike makes poorly recorded songs sound like pain. However, I do think the HE-400 does a good job with classic rock which is generally mastered really well and lacking high frequencies. The HE-400 bass is also a tad bit more detailed than the MD from memory. I won't be able to do a full review for quite some time though as life has been fairly busy and I just became a member of the stax mafia... 
ph34r.gif

So, more on topic: What portable amp would be the best for the Mad Dog? When I mean portable I mean slimmer and smaller or the same size as an iPod classic. (Lecktertron UHA-6S is too thick for my portable gear probably). Listening to the MDs today on the plane with the E11 somehow made the MDs sound very sibilant...

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #453 of 3,203
Quote:
So, more on topic: What portable amp would be the best for the Mad Dog? When I mean portable I mean slimmer and smaller or the same size as an iPod classic. (Lecktertron UHA-6S is too thick for my portable gear probably). Listening to the MDs today on the plane with the E11 somehow made the MDs sound very sibilant...

The HeadAmp Pico Power? Just throwing out a guess.
tongue.gif

I've been spending my listening time lately with the Mad Dog on the HeadAmp GS-X MK2 btw and it sounds really good!

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #454 of 3,203
Headstage Arrow 4G
Fiio E12

Just a few. The Pico Power works great but it is expensive and is a bit on the large side, especially since you feel the UGA-6S is too large (Pico is a bit thicker).

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #455 of 3,203
Quote:
Hmm, I'd personally have to disagree here. I currently own both the HE-400 and MD and I think the MD is definitely better overall for any music genre. The HE-400's treble spike makes poorly recorded songs sound like pain. However, I do think the HE-400 does a good job with classic rock which is generally mastered really well and lacking high frequencies. The HE-400 bass is also a tad bit more detailed than the MD from memory. I won't be able to do a full review for quite some time though as life has been fairly busy and I just became a member of the stax mafia... 
ph34r.gif

I eq the treble of my HE-400 down.  It's a non-issue for me.  Read the full comparison to get all the context.

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #457 of 3,203
Quote:

Not from personal experience, but from the experience of others, the RSA Intruder works really well - but it is a balanced amp.  I use an iBasso PB2.  I used it in SE mode for quite a while before my balanced mad dogs.  It is quite good, but about the same size as the Leckerton, or worse.  Hmmm.... not much help, am I?

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #458 of 3,203
The Blaze S-1 might be an option (drives the HD600s really well).

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #459 of 3,203
I've read the Apex Glacier amp drives them well. Never heard the pairing myself while I owned the Glacier though.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #460 of 3,203
I just got a set with the Alpha pads yesterday (7/1). Stupid fast turn-around, I ordered on Thursday morning (6/27), so a big thanks to Dan, et al. for that.

I settled in for a bit with them and got to hear the complete bass line on Georgio... on the new Daft Punk for the first time...after having listened to the album several times in other places and on other gear. So, an even bigger thanks for that.

And this was out of my iPad. I'm so excited for Magni to show up I can barely stand it.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #461 of 3,203
hi guys..my mad dogs will be arriving soon 
biggrin.gif
 ..What portable amp would be the better for the Mad Dogs? portable amp below $200 ?
fiio e17 or the c&c bh..or other recommendations? i will be using it with my ipodtouch 2g..

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #463 of 3,203
hi guys..my mad dogs will be arriving soon 
biggrin.gif

..What portable amp would be the better for the Mad Dogs? portable amp below $200 ?

fiio e17 or the c&c bh..or other recommendations? i will be using it with my ipodtouch 2g..

Here is a link that should give you some idea.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-12-10-amps-compared

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #464 of 3,203
I'm not laden with excessive disposable income, and I've got to say that for a cheaper setup, the Schiit Magni and Modi is much better than the E17 for these headphones. Much more power, so any other phones you get in the future will work, better built, and crisper and cleaner.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #465 of 3,203
I'm looking for a bit of help, I've just acquired a pair of balanced mad dogs from the F/S forum but I unfortunately don't have a balanced amp yet and won't for a good few months, but I'm now itching to give them a try but I can't seem to find a 4 pin xlr to 6.3 adapter anywhere or an appropriate after market cable in the UK, does anyone have any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back