**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 30, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #421 of 3,203
Quote:
Can someone tell me how well the Mad dogs pair with the e17+e09k combo? I was thinking of picking one up since I like the portability of the e17 and I don't really feel like buying another separate amp and dac. From the specs they power headphones upward of 600 ohms, but I don't know if they pair well. I have the 3.0 version just fyi so the sound signature, is slightly more forward in the mids than the current one.

Quote:
I tried with the E07k, if that helps. It wasn't a good match. Sounded flat and lifeless (note that this is on my 3.2). Paired it with my iBasso D6 and found a world of difference, especially in the mids and highs and especially in detail retrieval. 

There is a substantial difference between the e07 and the e09/e17. I agree that the e07 doesn't qualify to drive to MD, but the e09 combo will do so just fine. I've owned the two together and found the pairing good. I would qualify the combo as a "decent pairing." The MD love power. The Asgard 2 on high gain sounded better and the lyr better still. And then my old beastly Pioneer vintage amp gave me even more. 
size]

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #422 of 3,203
Just got mine balanced MDs few days ago, so I had a chance to listen to them for a day or so. It is true what many have noted, that there is no "wow effect", but they are just so addictive, I couldn't stop adding new songs to the playlist! Music just keeps flowing through them, very naturally, without any effort...
With some other headphones, you immediately notice their good sides, but some time after that, you start noticing their limitations. With MDs it's the other way around, you will start to appreciate their good sides after spending some time with them. Also, they seem to me like a much better all-arounder than I thought (I had feeling they will be great only for genres such as folk, jazz, indie and such). Good job, MrSpeakers! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #423 of 3,203
Between Mad Dog 3.2 and HD650. Which one has the better mid? I just ask because the midrange on LCD2 is clearly the best in trio but Mad Dog shares a very similar sound with LCD2 right so ... please answer my question. Thanks.

Oh. I asked Mad Lust Envy and he said that if I prefer bass go for Mad Dog otherwise if I like mid go for HD650.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #424 of 3,203
Quote:
I am just going to ask about this one more time, after reading the review on headphonia (not really sure how good they are anyway) and some other reviews, these were of the older mad dogs, since then I think there has been a few revisions and new pads. Do these revisions and pads REALLY make a big difference to the bass on these headphones, most of the headphonia review seemed to be moaning about the lack of bass impact, I do not have to have D5000 bass impact but I do not want headphones that have even remotely weak bass, I want big, powerful bass, maybe 80% of the D5000 for sub bass and impact would be OK for me, should I look elsewhere?

Personally, I don't put much stock in Headfonia, but this isn't really the place for me to discuss that. Let me try to answer your question(s) based on my experience with the D2000 (similar enough to the D5000) and Mad Dog 3.2.

The D2000 has a somewhat boosted response below 200Hz (using 1KHz as the reference point). It's more of a quantity vs. quality type of bass. It was a bit bloated as well. The D2000 gave anything I listened to a bit of lushness and impact, even if the music didn't really call for it at all. But, compared to many other bass-heavy headphones, the D2000 was not crazy over the top with bass like some might claim. Compared to many other headphones, the D2000 did not have what I would consider "big, powerful bass," if that helps you relate to me any better. There are headphones that are much bassier than the Denons...

The Mad Dog 3.2 definitely has a more even bass response, and I believe it's cleaner as well. It's not going to add lushness or impact to music that doesn't have it, unlike the Denons. The MD also has smoother midrange and treble. The treble is definitely cleaner on the Mad Dog 3.2, where as I found the D2000 to be a bit sibilant and bright at times. Still, no detail in the music is actually lost on the Mad Dog. That said, the Mad Dog 3.2 definitely has bass and impact when the music calls for it, and they extent pretty well down to 20Hz as far as I can tell. Given the smaller drivers on the T50RP and the cleaner bass overall, you can expect less impact bass-wise from the Mad Dog, even if the bass volume itself is there. In the end, though, the Mad Dog is not bass-light by any means. I'd say with the 3.2 revision, the Mad Dog trends towards being neutral-ish and smooth with a tilt towards a darker/lusher sound. 

I believe the HD600/650 were also mentioned earlier. I had the HD598 before, which I believe is not too far off from the HD600/650 in terms of bass quantity (based on measurements I've seen). I can assure you that the Mad Dog has more quantity, impact, and extends to 20Hz more easily than the HD598 did. You might be able to simplify it down enough where the Mad Dog 3.2 sits right in the middle of the Denon and the Sennheisers in terms of bass.

Hopefully this information will help you in your decision.

As a side note (even though this is more on topic than anything), I'm really enjoying the 3.2 revision. Sounds smoother, more natural, and a tad more lush to my ears. I approve!

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #426 of 3,203
Yes good job, I found that the HD650 (with EQ) had just about enough bass quantity / impact (except for sub bass) they were a bit light on the impact being open etc. but they were not too bad, I could live with HD650 level of bass impact (ideally a bit more) but I would want more sub bass than the HD650 (below 40hz). So if the mad dogs have as much or more impact and volume as the HD650 (with ~8db EQ below about 70hz) as well as more sub bass, maybe they would be OK. I do not need to have EARTH SHATTERING amounts of bass, just a decent, strong bass response that does not sound feeble or thin.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #427 of 3,203
As MattTCG noted - very accurate. My additional comments - I've owned D5k, listened to D2k. They are virtually the same sound to my ears.

I have not heard the HD598, but currently have the HD650. Comments above regarding the HD598 extrapolate to the HD650.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #428 of 3,203
Yes good job, I found that the HD650 (with EQ) had just about enough bass quantity / impact (except for sub bass) they were a bit light on the impact being open etc. but they were not too bad, I could live with HD650 level of bass impact (ideally a bit more) but I would want more sub bass than the HD650 (below 40hz). So if the mad dogs have as much or more impact and volume as the HD650 (with ~8db EQ below about 70hz) as well as more sub bass, maybe they would be OK. I do not need to have EARTH SHATTERING amounts of bass, just a decent, strong bass response that does not sound feeble or thin.

You are gonna talk yourself into these yet!

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #429 of 3,203
Nich, I'd give it a second thought, then reflect upon that thought and reevaluate, then...just give it some time. 
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #431 of 3,203
TM Raven did  a nice review/comparison of the MD vs he400. Check it out over on the he400 thread. Here is a clip from the conclusion:

I think the Mad Dogs are overall a more refined headphone with a more balanced sound signature that I’d definitely use to mix songs with over the HE-400, however the qualities of the HE-400 make it a more realistic experience and fun listen for me. Even though I still prefer the HE-400 over the Mad Dogs, I think the Mad Dogs are the 2nd best total package in a headphone for the value I’ve experienced so far.  It will jump right to the top of my recommendation list for lots of people, as I feel that you probably wont’ get a better all-arounder in a headphone: isolation, comfort, balance, clean bass extension, portability, sturdiness… it has it all, and for a great price too.   Dan Clark has created very good headphone.  If what Mad Lust Envy said was true—that the Koss ESP950 sounds like an open Mad-Dog—than damn… that must be an incredible headphone.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #432 of 3,203
Quote:

Nic,
I'm a basshead (dirty or otherwise). I've got 2 JLAudio 10W7's in my M5 with a 1000/1 sub amp pushing them (and I would have more if it could fit in my trunk). There's enough bass  to shake my neighbors windows. With that reference, I am very satisfied with the 3.2 Mad Dogs. The sound delivers without being overpowering. In comparison, I was disappointed in how much low end the senn momentums have. Also if my recollection serves me, these have far better bass response and fullness than my brother's 598's.

IMO I cant see anyone calling the bass on these weak (I've never heard the earlier versions of this phone by the way)

If you put the right amount of power on these phones, I have a really hard time believing you'll be disappointed.

- And personally I'm really enjoying listening to these with the bass boost turned on (on my FiiO E12).

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #433 of 3,203
Quote:
I want to add that the MD handles my E12's bass boost better than any other closed headphone I've tried.

I'm pretty pleased with the way the M100's handle the bass boost also. They're far more efficient than the MD's. The only problem is turning the bass boost on for the M100's will blow out your ear drums with a lot of the music I listen to.

That said I agree with your statement.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #434 of 3,203
Hmm well the amplification I would use for them is probably better than the fiio, so if you are a basshead and you are happy with them on the fiio, then I expect my Xonar STX or NAD 326Bee + EQ on foobar, would be as good or better. Keep changing my mind about whether to get these or the Fidelio X1 !

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #435 of 3,203
I'm sure you're correct. At some point I'll probably move up in quality from the FiiO but I want to stay portable with whatever I get. I've thought about the C&C X02 as an option. For now the E12 works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back