**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #406 of 3,203
Quote:

Thanks, the Dxxxx are probably the bassiest headphones I have heard, maybe the atrio MG7 iem's. Hmmm maybe I will give the Mad dogs a try anyway because of the huge amount of positive comments on these threads, if the rest of the sound is excellent as it seems from these forums, then I can forgive a bit less bass as long as they can be EQ to have some more bass and give a full sound that is not thin sounding. Also I would really like to try out some ortho headphones and see what all the fuss is about.

Just buy the he-400, the mad dogs don't have what I consider deep bass they are more of a neutral closed headphone.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #407 of 3,203
Quote:
Just buy the he-400, the mad dogs don't have what I consider deep bass they are more of a neutral closed headphone.

The HE-400 is a decent choice. Although, the treble is way to wonky (sharp) for me. 

I would give them a try nicholars, they are excellent headphones.... just not basshead-esque headphones. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #408 of 3,203
Quote:

The HE-400 is a decent choice. Although, the treble is way to wonky (sharp) for me. 

I would give them a try nicholars, they are excellent headphones.... just not basshead-esque headphones. 

Waay too wonky to be decent.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #411 of 3,203
Quote:
He is asking for bass though, if his need for bass outweigh his preference for mids and a more neutral sound, the he-400 has the best bass I have ever heard from a headphone.

Sure, it has very good bass. However there is no way in hell he doesn't notice that wonky treble.

A better bet would be the more balanced HE-500 or a used LCD-2.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #412 of 3,203
Quote:
He is asking for bass though, if his need for bass outweigh his preference for mids and a more neutral sound, the he-400 has the best bass I have ever heard from a headphone.

Hmmm I wonder if it is possible to EQ that massive treble spike on the HE400, I read a few reports of sibilance on the HE400 as well...

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #413 of 3,203
Quote:

2V is the "standard" for output voltage, which of course is why some are 1V and others are 2V, or random.  You have to check the manufacturer's specs, it's not correlated to price.

I think it says here it supports 2.5 output voltage? I'm not sure what to make of this spec list.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #416 of 3,203
Yep well usually I do not faff about, it is just due to the fact they are USA only and I am in the UK and also I am getting completely different opinions from different people. This is why usually I just buy the damn headphones and test them, but this is not quite so simple for me because of the location of the mad dogs. One person says they have loads of bass another says they lack impact etc.

I was hoping for some comparisons to other headphones I have used, because peoples opinions do not really mean anything without a point of reference. Also how much they have improved with the new revisions and pads, clearly these are good in the mids and treble or they would not have so many replies in the thread, but the bass....

I found that the 840 were a little bit bass light for me, although it was quite a long time ago I cannot remember too well, I would want more than the 840 if anything.

I am sure this question would be of interest to a lot of other people as well so it is not as if I am wasting time is it, that is the point of the thread after all, to discuss the headphones or find out if they are what you are looking for...

I feel for ya but Matt is right. Let me try one last time.

I had likely the 3.1 version, was utterly disappointed immediately and after trying to like them for three days sent them back. U see my sig - a bassheads dream lineup. You've had the D2k, said yourself you loved them and should not have sold. These are nowhere near the impact of the D2k.

Just trying to help, it's hard reading this over and over. If you want basshead type impact, these are not it. You want great mids, decent bass and über comfort, these are great.

These are my opinions in trying to help the lad out.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #418 of 3,203
Can someone tell me how well the Mad dogs pair with the e17+e09k combo? I was thinking of picking one up since I like the portability of the e17 and I don't really feel like buying another separate amp and dac. From the specs they power headphones upward of 600 ohms, but I don't know if they pair well. I have the 3.0 version just fyi so the sound signature, is slightly more forward in the mids than the current one.

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #420 of 3,203
Quote:
Can someone tell me how well the Mad dogs pair with the e17+e09k combo? I was thinking of picking one up since I like the portability of the e17 and I don't really feel like buying another separate amp and dac. From the specs they power headphones upward of 600 ohms, but I don't know if they pair well. I have the 3.0 version just fyi so the sound signature, is slightly more forward in the mids than the current one.

I tried with the E07k, if that helps. It wasn't a good match. Sounded flat and lifeless (note that this is on my 3.2). Paired it with my iBasso D6 and found a world of difference, especially in the mids and highs and especially in detail retrieval. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back