MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Dec 11, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #3,016 of 5,796
Apologies if this has been addressed (I can't read all 200 pages!), has anyone compared these to the Utopias?

Is the main difference between the open and closed the former has a better soundstage, and the latter has 'better' bass?

After owning both for some time I will update (or re-iterate) my impressions. Basically I mostly agree with Tyll on the differences between the two. The Flow (open) is more smooth, easier listening, more euphoric. The Utopia is punchy, dynamic, forward in direct comparison. There are less dynamics with the Flow but it's easy to listen to for longer sessions. Both are very resolving without emphasizing treble and I find the low distortion very good on both. The Utopia has the edge for detail retrieval and speed to my ears.

Both feel overall balanced to me with regard to frequency response. The Utopia has slightly more mids/lower treble and the Flow has a little more upper bass. Both are easy to drive and reveal source gear well. The one thing the Flow doesn't do as well is dynamic punch, but then again the soundstage feels slightly larger with the Flow. For me neither headphone is going anywhere anytime soon.

I listen more often to the Flow simply because I get too distracted when listening to the Utopia (too much of a good thing?). The Utopia commands my attention while the Flow allows me to enjoy the music immensely without completely demanding my attention. I'm still waiting for notice to upgrade my ETHER C to Flow C (first day register here... Dan?) so I am only comparing the open version for now.

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #3,017 of 5,796
After owning both for some time I will update (or re-iterate) my impressions. Basically I mostly agree with Tyll on the differences between the two. The Flow (open) is more smooth, easier listening, more euphoric. The Utopia is punchy, dynamic, forward in direct comparison. There are less dynamics with the Flow but it's easy to listen to for longer sessions. Both are very resolving without emphasizing treble and I find the low distortion very good on both. The Utopia has the edge for detail retrieval and speed to my ears.

Both feel overall balanced to me with regard to frequency response. The Utopia has slightly more mids, lower treble and the Flow has a little more upper bass. Both are easy to drive and reveal source gear well. The one thing the Flow doesn't do as well is dynamic punch, but then again the soundstage feels slightly larger with the Flow. For me neither headphone is going anywhere anytime soon.

I listen more often to the Flow simply because I get too distracted when listening to the Utopia (too much of a good thing?). The Utopia commands my attention while the Flow allows me to enjoy the music immensely without completely demanding my attention. I'm still waiting for notice to upgrade my ETHER C to Flow C (first day register here... Dan?) so I am only comparing the open version for now.

Thanks. Nice detailed impressions. I would agree with the impressions. It is what I observed when listening to my friends Utopia.

I've had the Flow side by side with the Utopia a few times as well. I actually liked the Utopia more but can't afford twice the price.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #3,018 of 5,796
Thanks Relic, much appreciated.

I'll hopefully be able to A/B both cans later this week. I'll be walking away with one of them!

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #3,019 of 5,796
^^ I'll be interested to see what you bring home. Best of luck, choose wisely. 
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #3,020 of 5,796

Thanks. Nice detailed impressions. I would agree with the impressions. It is what I observed when listening to my friends Utopia.

I've had the Flow side by side with the Utopia a few times as well. I actually liked the Utopia more but can't afford twice the price.

I've been in the same position.  a $4,000 headphone vs a $1,800 headphone.  I do like the Utopia , I enjoyed its presentation but not an extra $2,000 much.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #3,021 of 5,796
A few of us have been waiting for this ...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/mrspeakers-ether-c-flow-sealed-planar-magnetic-headphone

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #3,022 of 5,796
A few of us have been waiting for this ...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/mrspeakers-ether-c-flow-sealed-planar-magnetic-headphone

The video is also up, he's not impressed with it. It doesn't perform as well in the closed back category as it's open back counter part.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #3,023 of 5,796

The video is also up, he's not impressed with it. It doesn't perform as well in the closed back category as it's open back counter part.

So what's he saying? Is the open the one to go for?

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #3,024 of 5,796
  So what's he saying? Is the open the one to go for?

I recommend watching the video but for abbreviations, if you have the Open-back Ethers, upgrade to Ethers Flow, but if you have Ether C, just EQ it and don't bother with the Flow version.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #3,026 of 5,796
Ok, as soon as this reviewer said the Audio Technica ATH-MX50 was 95% of the Ether Flow C, I stopped listening.

Nuff said.

NEXT.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #3,028 of 5,796
  Does anyone know what software one needs to boost bass on Ether C to match that which Inner Fidelity applied? 

Two things:

1) Software that lets you run plugins (without a DAW) - the best is Audio Hijack (Mac)

2) EQ Plugin. Tyll uses DMG Equilibrium, although there are plenty of free EQs out there.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #3,029 of 5,796

Two things:

1) Software that lets you run plugins (without a DAW) - the best is Audio Hijack (Mac)

2) EQ Plugin. Tyll uses DMG Equilibrium, although there are plenty of free EQs out there.

For my PC, I run Media Monkey to manage my collection. I use musicbee as my player. When listening I use stereo tool for EQ (and other stuff).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back