MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Dec 12, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #3,032 of 5,796
I recommend watching the video but for abbreviations, if you have the Open-back Ethers, upgrade to Ethers Flow, but if you have Ether C, just EQ it and don't bother with the Flow version.

As a Flow C owner, I suggest you try out the Flow C; it doesnt need additional equalization-my opinion.

And it doesn't make sense to compare it to open headphones; two different applications.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #3,033 of 5,796
Ok, as soon as this reviewer said the Audio Technica ATH-MX50 was 95% of the Ether Flow C, I stopped listening.

Nuff said.

NEXT.

Which reviewer said that? Tyll? Not that I believe in experts as the last word, but if it was Tyll he does have enough experience and credibility to at least be heard out. We may not agree with him, but certainly his experience means he shouldn't be dismissed outright simply because he takes a strong stand. I didn't watch the review so if I am missing something my apology.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #3,034 of 5,796
I think it does matter. I was under the impression that you can get the same flow sound just closed which I would prefer but apparently not. While I prefer Closed at the end of the day im looking for the best sound and if i have to use an open headphone for it then I'm willing to do the trade off.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #3,035 of 5,796
  Which reviewer said that? Tyll? Not that I believe in experts as the last word, but if it was Tyll he does have enough experience and credibility to at least be heard out. We may not agree with him, but certainly his experience means he shouldn't be dismissed outright simply because he takes a strong stand. I didn't watch the review so if I am missing something my apology.

He did in fact say that in the video.

Having owned both the m50x and Ether C, I found that statement to be quite puzzling.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #3,037 of 5,796
  He did in fact say that in the video.

Having owned both the m50x and Ether C, I found that statement to be quite puzzling.

Did you have them at the same time? Audio memory is extremely inaccurate so ideally a comparison with both on hand is best. I'm not saying memory is useless or invalid, just perhaps not as foolproof as people may believe. And in all fairness/reality, 5% of sound quality difference can cost a disproportuneate amount of money to acquire.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #3,038 of 5,796
  Did you have them at the same time? Audio memory is extremely inaccurate so ideally a comparison with both on hand is best. I'm not saying memory is useless or invalid, just perhaps not as foolproof as people may believe. And in all fairness/reality, 5% of sound quality difference can cost a disproportuneate amount of money to acquire.

I did not have them at the same time. I did (and still) have the NAD HP50's (which he also mentions with the m50x) at the same time as the Ether C's. While the HP50's are great for the price, I'd no way put them in the same class as the Ether C's. I'd also put them well above the m50x's. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #3,039 of 5,796
  I did not have them at the same time. I did (and still) have the NAD HP50's (which he also mentions with the m50x) at the same time as the Ether C's. While the HP50's are great for the price, I'd no way put them in the same class as the Ether C's. I'd also put them well above the m50x's. 

I will admit, I am surprised as well that Tyll would say that, and while I don't think he is some headphone god, I do think he also doesn't generally make stupid, unsupportable claims either. Really not sure how he arrived at that conclusion. Maybe for his tastes the M50X is just a great signature?

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #3,040 of 5,796
As a Flow C owner, I suggest you try out the Flow C; it doesnt need additional equalization-my opinion.

And it doesn't make sense to compare it to open headphones; two different applications.

I agree, I'm not a fan of eq'ing and that neutrality Tyll mentions is one of my favorite aspects of the C Flow.  In his written article he has the treble peak as 6-7k but in the video he says it's 5-6k.  Regardless, I can't say I'm hearing any annoying peaks myself using the Mojo so maybe it's just a good pairing. 

It's also interesting how he mentions putting flagship money towards an open headphone but like many others, I don't have a use for open headphones.  I'm curious what he'll think of the Z1R as Sony could have went either way when designing them, but they went closed-back.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #3,041 of 5,796

I agree, I'm not a fan of eq'ing and that neutrality Tyll mentions is one of my favorite aspects of the C Flow.  In his written article he has the treble peak as 6-7k but in the video he says it's 5-6k.  Regardless, I can't say I'm hearing any annoying peaks myself using the Mojo so maybe it's just a good pairing. 

It's also interesting how he mentions putting flagship money towards an open headphone but like many others, I don't have a use for open headphones.  I'm curious what he'll think of the Z1R as Sony could have went either way when designing them, but they went closed-back.

I didn't know that was Tyll, to be honest with you.  I remember him way back when, when he was running headphone.com (and I bought some of his amps...).  I think he had high expectations for the Ether C Flow; I'm not sure if I would upgrade from the 'regular' Ether C's myself - law of diminishing returns.

In any case, I'm enjoying my time with the Ether C Flow and it helps I got it for the same price as the Ethers Cs (demo model).

L3000.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #3,042 of 5,796
Tyll did not say the C Flow was on par with an m50x.

Direct quote from review:
"it was pretty clearly a more neutral sound "(Ether C Flow)", but it was also sometimes the case that I would have preferred listening to the other cans, though less neutral, for their somewhat smoother and gentler on the ears character (ATH-M50x, NAD VISO HP50, and Oppo PM3)."

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #3,044 of 5,796
He did, at minute 7:30. He actually says it's "95% as good"

Ah, in the video, I haven't watched that.

How do the upgrades work?  I have an original Ether C that I would like to upgrade to the Ether Flow (OPEN).  Looking around MrSpeakers website doesn't turn up any info other than some protected upgrade links.

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #3,045 of 5,796
Any wm1a/wm1z user here, looking for feedback about pairing with an Ether C (Flow or non Flow)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back