1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Jul 14, 2016.
First

Back
195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204
206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215
Next

Last
  1. bytor33

I don't think you can do any better than the Mojo with the C Flows in that price range, it's a great pairing. Balanced doesn't really matter, the Mojo has plenty of power with singled ended.

2. x RELIC x Contributor

Just so you know, a balanced output isn't the end-all-be-all of audio. Yes, balanced can sound better than a single ended implementation, just like a properly implemented single ended implementation can sound much better than balanced. The Chord DACs are exceedingly good with their single ended implementation with regard to transparency and measurements. Many times you'll read that a balanced output is better than the single ended output from the same device which is usually the case as a balanced output can hide issues within a single ended design.

Also consider that a balanced output will be louder than a single ended output and therefore sound better to our ears (that's the way we are wired). Not many realize that as little as 1 dB will be perceived as better sound and yet don't volume match to within 1dB when comparing.

The ALO Studio Six is another example of a very good single ended design that some prefer to something like the Cavalli Liquid Gold balanced. I wouldn't automatically paint balanced with a rosier brush. I used to, but I learned differently with more experience. That said, the Mojo pairs very well with the ETHER headphones and performs above its price range IMO, IME.

Currawong likes this.
  3. synapse09
    @x RELIC x  Thanks! Exactly why I was asking if going balanced on the Ether would be worthwhile. I have no experience going balanced on any headphone tbh... I was looking at the Mojo since there's lots of recommendations on this thread with the Ethers. 

4. x RELIC x Contributor

One thing I'll add is that synergy is important too so if a balanced amp has great synergy, for you, I'd suggest using the balanced output of that amp over the single ended output. I'd still recommend the Mojo for the quality and synergy with the ETHER, for me at least.

5. mrspeakers Contributor

Nicely said.  I actually only have a few pieces of balanced gear, pretty much all my reference stuff is single ended.  It's not the topology that counts, it's the circuit and components.  

MrSpeakers Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on MrSpeakers at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://www.mrspeakers.com/ info@mrspeakers.com
  6. Wyd4
    All of my listening on the Ether c to date has been at work.

I have today off work and have dedicatedthe day to doing as little as possible.

Laying on the couch, idsd micro, ether c listening to Devin Townsend Project. Eyes closed.

This is exactly where I want to be right now!!!

RCBinTN likes this.
  7. husafreak
    Devin is an amazing guy!

8. aamefford
    To add to the balanced vs. SE. All my cables are balanced, or have pigtails to accommodate balanced or SE. Nowadays, all are plugged into a Mojo or a Cavalli Liquid Crimson SE amp. Indeed, it's the circuit.

9. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Indeed, the whole idea that people can hear tiny, tiny traces of common noise over top of the music is very hard to swallow.

10. HarryWarner1
    I haven't had the opportunity to listen to either of the ether flows yet, I'm wondering if my current amp the Burson soloist sl mk2 is a decent match. It would save me buying a new amp, and if it is i'll most likely jump on the ether c flows asap... after listening ofc [​IMG]

11. casper3127

To be really honest, Sonic Defender, none... [​IMG] But I was looking more a these Ethers as something complementary to the sound of my Denons.

Cheers.

12. zer010gic
    Just adding my 2 cents to the Ether C Flow discussion.  I have owned a pair for around 2 months and have found them to be a very amp dependent headphone.  I have tried them in a number of amps.  Some surprising results are that off a Gilmore Balanced Reference they had too much bass and showed some loss of detail.  When connected to an old Singlepower SDS they where unlistenable (due to the impedance mismatch).  When connected to my Schiit Mjolnir 2 or my Jotunheim they sound very balanced, detailed and smooth (with the Mjolnir 2 sounding the best).  I suspect these headphones need to be paired with an amp that works well with them and voicing may be an important aspect.

I also would bet Tyll used a GSX-II which would probably be voiced similar to the Gilmore Reference.

Currawong and Astral Abyss like this.
  13. kellte2

How was the bass response with the Jotunheim?  I've read positive impressions of pairing the cans with the Liquid Carbon, as most tend to describe the signature as warm, yet resolving.  Everything I hear about the Jotunheim is that is is accurate and detailed, but perhaps slightly cold, which I would like to avoid.  For now, I'm using a modest Creative X7.  It gets the job done, but given the amp is likely the weak link on the device, I think that the Ether C Flows deserve better.

14. zer010gic

I would say the Jotun is good and still involving/engaging.  Tonally everything sounds right and dynamics are good.  It is also still nice and smooth.  I would not say its too cold but its not as harmonically rich as the Mjolnir 2 with the HG75 tubes.  It sounds like good solid state (I am more of a tube guy).  I use the Jotun as my work amp with the Mjolnir 2 at home.  The signal chain is MacPro -> Wyrd -> Jotun.  I leave the Jotun running 24/7.  The more impressive pairing is the Mjolnir 2, I suspect the MrSpeakers headphones may be voiced or atleast tested with the Mjolnir based on the fact MrSpeakers sells them on his site and you can see them in the background of their videos.

15. Sonic Defender Contributor
    The Ether lineup does sound impressive.

First

Back
195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204
206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215
Next

Last