MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Dec 16, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #3,091 of 5,796
I wonder if Tyll got a defective pair: he mentioned the measured distortion level is a bit high on the ether c flow, which contradicts the THD graph listed in the first page of this thread. It is supposed to be similar to the ether flow and lower than the non flows

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #3,094 of 5,796
Look at the right hand side of the page for the upgrade request form.

http://mrspeakers.com/ether/

Thanks Matt! Was pouring over the storefront and even found the dead pages (unless you had a password) for the actual upgrades via a Google search. Who'd of thought it would be on the actual product page. Apparently not me!

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #3,097 of 5,796
Yeah, 430 HA/HAD is a fantastic amp.

It's a fantastic SS amp if you want a SS amp to sound like a tube amp. Tyll keeps calling it his reference amp. In my opinion a reference SS amp should have the best SS can offer. The 430HA doesn't do this. It is rather flawed.
At the time I had it, my tube amp had more treble detail. That is unheard of. A tube amp beating a SS amp in detail. What!
We were using a special test track and certain detail was missing from the 430 HA.
Then we did a speed test. Geez the 430HA was slow and sloppy. It fell apart. The 430HA is primarily designed to sound like a tube amp. If you want a tube amp without the hassle of tubes then it's a good option. I would rather have a SS amp that showed the benefits of SS and a tube amp for when you want to mellow things down. That's what I ended up doing.

At the time we had the 430HA, 230HA, Auralic Taurus, Violectric V281 and Oppo HA-1 we ranked the amps like this (best to worse)

Violectric V281*, 230HA (it's design is not flawed and better than the 430HA), Auralic Taurus (a little cold sounding), 430HA and then the Oppo HA-1 (geez that was bad and miles behind). All amps being runned off one DAC the Auralic Vega.

*tested on the XLR output where it uses 4 amps to drive the headphones. Purely brilliant stuff. The single end is not as good.

Dec 16, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #3,101 of 5,796
Very interesting... Tyll basically just wrote a mini retraction about the Ether C Flows not making it to the wall of fame:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-made-bad-call-mrspeakers-ether-c-flow-makes-wall-fame

Dec 16, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #3,102 of 5,796
Very interesting... Tyll basically just wrote a mini retraction about the Ether C Flows not making it to the wall of fame:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-made-bad-call-mrspeakers-ether-c-flow-makes-wall-fame

What? Now the both Ether Cs are up there lol. I think Tyll just wanted to keep his pair 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #3,104 of 5,796
It's a fantastic SS amp if you want a SS amp to sound like a tube amp. Tyll keeps calling it his reference amp. In my opinion a reference SS amp should have the best SS can offer. The 430HA doesn't do this. It is rather flawed.
At the time I had it, my tube amp had more treble detail. That is unheard of. A tube amp beating a SS amp in detail. What!
We were using a special test track and certain detail was missing from the 430 HA.
Then we did a speed test. Geez the 430HA was slow and sloppy. It fell apart. The 430HA is primarily designed to sound like a tube amp. If you want a tube amp without the hassle of tubes then it's a good option. I would rather have a SS amp that showed the benefits of SS and a tube amp for when you want to mellow things down. That's what I ended up doing.

At the time we had the 430HA, 230HA, Auralic Taurus, Violectric V281 and Oppo HA-1 we ranked the amps like this (best to worse)

Violectric V281*, 230HA (it's design is not flawed and better than the 430HA), Auralic Taurus (a little cold sounding), 430HA and then the Oppo HA-1 (geez that was bad and miles behind). All amps being runned off one DAC the Auralic Vega.

*tested on the XLR output where it uses 4 amps to drive the headphones. Purely brilliant stuff. The single end is not as good.

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion but there are a ton of awards and thrilled owners out there who would disagree....the 430 is one of the very best reviewed products i have ever seen....

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #3,105 of 5,796

I think Tyll also erred when it came to the LCD-4 which I find to be the best HP I have ever heard.....oh well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back