MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Dec 13, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #3,061 of 5,796
Thanks for the welcome!

As for DAC+Amp budget, I'm currently eyeing the iFi micro idsd and Chord Mojo, but neither of those are balanced, so I guess you can say $500-600 range maybe more if balanced will yield worthwhile benefits. Any recommendations on dac/amp for the Ether C Flow's?

I don't think you can do any better than the Mojo with the C Flows in that price range, it's a great pairing. Balanced doesn't really matter, the Mojo has plenty of power with singled ended.

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3,062 of 5,796
Thanks for the welcome!

As for DAC+Amp budget, I'm currently eyeing the iFi micro idsd and Chord Mojo, but neither of those are balanced, so I guess you can say $500-600 range maybe more if balanced will yield worthwhile benefits. Any recommendations on dac/amp for the Ether C Flow's?

Just so you know, a balanced output isn't the end-all-be-all of audio. Yes, balanced can sound better than a single ended implementation, just like a properly implemented single ended implementation can sound much better than balanced. The Chord DACs are exceedingly good with their single ended implementation with regard to transparency and measurements. Many times you'll read that a balanced output is better than the single ended output from the same device which is usually the case as a balanced output can hide issues within a single ended design.

Also consider that a balanced output will be louder than a single ended output and therefore sound better to our ears (that's the way we are wired). Not many realize that as little as 1 dB will be perceived as better sound and yet don't volume match to within 1dB when comparing.

The ALO Studio Six is another example of a very good single ended design that some prefer to something like the Cavalli Liquid Gold balanced. I wouldn't automatically paint balanced with a rosier brush. I used to, but I learned differently with more experience. That said, the Mojo pairs very well with the ETHER headphones and performs above its price range IMO, IME.

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #3,064 of 5,796
@x RELIC x
  Thanks! Exactly why I was asking if going balanced on the Ether would be worthwhile. I have no experience going balanced on any headphone tbh... I was looking at the Mojo since there's lots of recommendations on this thread with the Ethers. 

One thing I'll add is that synergy is important too so if a balanced amp has great synergy, for you, I'd suggest using the balanced output of that amp over the single ended output. I'd still recommend the Mojo for the quality and synergy with the ETHER, for me at least.

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #3,065 of 5,796
Just so you know, a balanced output isn't the end-all-be-all of audio. Yes, balanced can sound better than a single ended implementation, just like a properly implemented single ended implementation can sound much better than balanced. The Chord DACs are exceedingly good with their single ended implementation with regard to transparency and measurements. Many times you'll read that a balanced output is better than the single ended output from the same device which is usually the case as a balanced output can hide issues within a single ended design.

Also consider that a balanced output will be louder than a single ended output and therefore sound better to our ears (that's the way we are wired). Not many realize that as little as 1 dB will be perceived as better sound and yet don't volume match to within 1dB when comparing.

The ALO Studio Six is another example of a very good single ended design that some prefer to something like the Cavalli Liquid Gold balanced. I wouldn't automatically paint balanced with a rosier brush. I used to, but I learned differently with more experience. That said, the Mojo pairs very well with the ETHER headphones and performs above its price range IMO, IME.

Nicely said.  I actually only have a few pieces of balanced gear, pretty much all my reference stuff is single ended.  It's not the topology that counts, it's the circuit and components.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 13, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #3,069 of 5,796
Indeed, the whole idea that people can hear tiny, tiny traces of common noise over top of the music is very hard to swallow.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #3,070 of 5,796
I haven't had the opportunity to listen to either of the ether flows yet, I'm wondering if my current amp the Burson soloist sl mk2 is a decent match. It would save me buying a new amp, and if it is i'll most likely jump on the ether c flows asap... after listening ofc 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #3,071 of 5,796
  I owned the D7000 years back. Just curious what aspect of the sound you would improve upon if you could?

To be really honest, Sonic Defender, none...
bigsmile_face.gif
 But I was looking more a these Ethers as something complementary to the sound of my Denons.

Cheers.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #3,072 of 5,796
Just adding my 2 cents to the Ether C Flow discussion.  I have owned a pair for around 2 months and have found them to be a very amp dependent headphone.  I have tried them in a number of amps.  Some surprising results are that off a Gilmore Balanced Reference they had too much bass and showed some loss of detail.  When connected to an old Singlepower SDS they where unlistenable (due to the impedance mismatch).  When connected to my Schiit Mjolnir 2 or my Jotunheim they sound very balanced, detailed and smooth (with the Mjolnir 2 sounding the best).  I suspect these headphones need to be paired with an amp that works well with them and voicing may be an important aspect.

I also would bet Tyll used a GSX-II which would probably be voiced similar to the Gilmore Reference.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #3,073 of 5,796
  Just adding my 2 cents to the Ether C Flow discussion.  I have owned a pair for around 2 months and have found them to be a very amp dependent headphone.  I have tried them in a number of amps.  Some surprising results are that off a Gilmore Balanced Reference they had too much bass and showed some loss of detail.  When connected to an old Singlepower SDS they where unlistenable (due to the impedance mismatch).  When connected to my Schiit Mjolnir 2 or my Jotunheim they sound very balanced, detailed and smooth (with the Mjolnir 2 sounding the best).  I suspect these headphones need to be paired with an amp that works well with them and voicing may be an important aspect.

I also would bet Tyll used a GSX-II which would probably be voiced similar to the Gilmore Reference.

How was the bass response with the Jotunheim?  I've read positive impressions of pairing the cans with the Liquid Carbon, as most tend to describe the signature as warm, yet resolving.  Everything I hear about the Jotunheim is that is is accurate and detailed, but perhaps slightly cold, which I would like to avoid.  For now, I'm using a modest Creative X7.  It gets the job done, but given the amp is likely the weak link on the device, I think that the Ether C Flows deserve better.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #3,074 of 5,796

How was the bass response with the Jotunheim?  I've read positive impressions of pairing the cans with the Liquid Carbon, as most tend to describe the signature as warm, yet resolving.  Everything I hear about the Jotunheim is that is is accurate and detailed, but perhaps slightly cold, which I would like to avoid.  For now, I'm using a modest Creative X7.  It gets the job done, but given the amp is likely the weak link on the device, I think that the Ether C Flows deserve better.

I would say the Jotun is good and still involving/engaging.  Tonally everything sounds right and dynamics are good.  It is also still nice and smooth.  I would not say its too cold but its not as harmonically rich as the Mjolnir 2 with the HG75 tubes.  It sounds like good solid state (I am more of a tube guy).  I use the Jotun as my work amp with the Mjolnir 2 at home.  The signal chain is MacPro -> Wyrd -> Jotun.  I leave the Jotun running 24/7.  The more impressive pairing is the Mjolnir 2, I suspect the MrSpeakers headphones may be voiced or atleast tested with the Mjolnir based on the fact MrSpeakers sells them on his site and you can see them in the background of their videos.

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #3,075 of 5,796

To be really honest, Sonic Defender, none...
bigsmile_face.gif
 But I was looking more a these Ethers as something complementary to the sound of my Denons.

Cheers.

The Ether lineup does sound impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back