MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 6, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #1,892 of 2,891
  Thanks for the excellent advice Bryonb and Bavinck, Mad dogs should be coming in this Friday and the schiit stack. Also gonna try out the oppo ha2 from a friend who told me he has 1.

Congrats, man.  That HA-2 is one of those things you want to use just so you can look at it.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,893 of 2,891

Congrats, man.  That HA-2 is one of those things you want to use just so you can look at it.

Indeed, it has a beautiful design. But, and more importantly. it sounds wonderful. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #1,895 of 2,891
Doing a first listen on my Alpha Prime right now via Schiit Bifrost MB + Lyr 2 (Tubes: 6N23P Reflektor '74 SWGP Gray Shields). How do I feel about these after about 30 mins?

There doesn't seem to be any flaws across the entire frequency range, at least to my ears. Deep, tight, controlled bass. Present, clear mids. Fast, sparkly highs. Excellent sound stage, imaging. Wow. The bass vs. the TH-X00 is way cleaner, but amazingly hits harder.

It's not as spacious as the HE-560, but it's more engaging. I think I can listen to these longer. Though, the HE-560 is more comfortable (i.e., lighter).

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,896 of 2,891
  Doing a first listen on my Alpha Prime right now via Schiit Bifrost MB + Lyr 2 (Tubes: 6N23P Reflektor '74 SWGP Gray Shields). How do I feel about these after about 30 mins?

There doesn't seem to be any flaws across the entire frequency range, at least to my ears. Deep, tight, controlled bass. Present, clear mids. Fast, sparkly highs. Excellent sound stage, imaging. Wow. The bass vs. the TH-X00 is way cleaner, but amazingly hits harder.

It's not as spacious as the HE-560, but it's more engaging. I think I can listen to these longer. Though, the HE-560 is more comfortable (i.e., lighter).

Thanks for this.  I need a good set of closed cans, and I'm currently on the fence between the Alpha Dogs (or possibly Shure SRH1540) and Alpha Prime.  Can't quite decide if I'm willing to pony up the extra cash for the Primes.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,897 of 2,891

Thanks for this.  I need a good set of closed cans, and I'm currently on the fence between the Alpha Dogs (or possibly Shure SRH1540) and Alpha Prime.  Can't quite decide if I'm willing to pony up the extra cash for the Primes.

As someone who upgraded, I have found the accuracy detail across the spectrum, as well as the improved imaging to be worth the extra $$$ for the Primes.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #1,898 of 2,891

Alpha Primes are worth the extra money over the Alpha Dogs IMO. I prefer them to the Ether/C as well, especially considering the price difference.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,899 of 2,891
Been thinking about the alpha dog and primes lately. Currently loving my 400i.

Would have to sell or trade my 650 to afford the primes though.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #1,901 of 2,891
Been thinking about the alpha dog and primes lately. Currently loving my 400i.

Would have to sell or trade my 650 to afford the primes though.

Since getting my primes they are all I listen to. They sound amazing, are comfortable and the isolation is very addictive. I can definately handle people giving me weird looks as I listen to them in public, so they go everywhere with me.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,902 of 2,891
  Since getting my primes they are all I listen to. They sound amazing, are comfortable and the isolation is very addictive. I can definately handle people giving me weird looks as I listen to them in public, so they go everywhere with me.

Man, I would travel with them, but I am seriously afraid of damaging the finish. bavinck how is your finish holding up?

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #1,903 of 2,891

Man, I would travel with them, but I am seriously afraid of damaging the finish. bavinck how is your finish holding up?

I am careful with them. Use the little bag provided whenever they are not on my head, which goes into my backpack. Finish is fine, it is automotive grade paint so I would expect it to hold up like paint on a car - no?

My kids getting a hold of them at home are more of a risk than taking them outside of the house, imo:)

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #1,904 of 2,891
  Finish is fine, it is automotive grade paint so I would expect it to hold up like paint on a car - no?

*Orders Turtle Wax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back