MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 2, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #1,877 of 2,891
I removed one of the stock dots so I now have configuration 31. Opened up the treble some for me. Does anyone like it without any dots? Thinking of trying that.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,878 of 2,891
I removed one of the stock dots so I now have configuration 31. Opened up the treble some for me. Does anyone like it without any dots? Thinking of trying that.

It is a little bright for my taste with no dots. Still sounds amazing of course, just a little fatiguing. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #1,879 of 2,891
Well, it looks like I'll be joining the AP club soon. Just got a killer deal on a barely used pair. Goodbye, Fostex TH-X00, may the Force be with you.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #1,880 of 2,891
Folks,
Been trying to figure out how many dB the primes play from my cayin c5. Anyone have a way to accurately measure on high gain? I have an iPhone 4 app that is telling me 85 dB is about 6 on high gain. This seems extremely loud to me, usually I am around 3. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #1,881 of 2,891
Well, it looks like I'll be joining the AP club soon. Just got a killer deal on a barely used pair. Goodbye, Fostex TH-X00, may the Force be with you.

Welcome, I am a new member too. We can geek out together while all the AP old timers chuckle at us:)

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,882 of 2,891
Welcome, I am a new member too. We can geek out together while all the AP old timers chuckle at us:)

Haha, perfect! Are you primarily running your C5 with it (I'm on mobile now so not flipping through your inventory)? At home, I have my Schiit stack, which I'm confident will be fine, but at work, I'm hoping the FiiO E09K and E17 can do it some justice.

EDIT: I see you have a Magni as your primary amp, yes?

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #1,883 of 2,891
Haha, perfect! Are you primarily running your C5 with it (I'm on mobile now so not flipping through your inventory)? At home, I have my Schiit stack, which I'm confident will be fine, but at work, I'm hoping the FiiO E09K and E17 can do it some justice.

EDIT: I see you have a Magni as your primary amp, yes?

Actually, I mainly use my c5 as I hate being tethered to my pc. I have a ifi micro on order. M&m is more than enough power, so is C5 for loudness anyway. I suspect the micro will flesh things out a little on the bottom, but the c5 is plenty good for my ears.

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #1,884 of 2,891
Actually, I mainly use my c5 as I hate being tethered to my pc. I have a ifi micro on order. M&m is more than enough power, so is C5 for loudness anyway. I suspect the micro will flesh things out a little on the bottom, but the c5 is plenty good for my ears.

Cool, look forward to comparing notes on the AP when I get them.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #1,885 of 2,891
I am seriously impressed by the depth of the prime's soundstage. In general the soundstage is very large, even big for a lot of open headphones I have heard. But, especially the depth. The amount of layering detail due to the deep soundstage this sucker lays out for me is very helpful and enjoyable in busy music. Some of my albums I feel like I have never heard right until I allowed the prime's to show me what they really sound like.

Amazing.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #1,886 of 2,891
  I am seriously impressed by the depth of the prime's soundstage. In general the soundstage is very large, even big for a lot of open headphones I have heard. But, especially the depth. The amount of layering detail due to the deep soundstage this sucker lays out for me is very helpful and enjoyable in busy music. Some of my albums I feel like I have never heard right until I allowed the prime's to show me what they really sound like.

Amazing.

They are pretty incredible. Nothing I have tried has been able to replace them in my setup. 

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #1,887 of 2,891
First big headphone purchase for me, buying the Mad Dog Pros off mrspeakers, I have been reading reviews on these and noticed you need an amp and possibly a dac, i have read a little into dacs/amps and now my question is...What would be the recommended amp/dac for these headphones? I will be using them 50/50 with my computer and on the go with my phone (Galaxys4) so how i said i have been reading into dacs/amps i noticed im going to need a good dac AND amp for my computer and a portable amp for my phone or amp/dac? not so sure, so if someone can help me out with suggestions of what i would need that would be appreciated. i have a good 600ish$ budget maybe 800$max.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #1,888 of 2,891
  First big headphone purchase for me, buying the Mad Dog Pros off mrspeakers, I have been reading reviews on these and noticed you need an amp and possibly a dac, i have read a little into dacs/amps and now my question is...What would be the recommended amp/dac for these headphones? I will be using them 50/50 with my computer and on the go with my phone (Galaxys4) so how i said i have been reading into dacs/amps i noticed im going to need a good dac AND amp for my computer and a portable amp for my phone or amp/dac? not so sure, so if someone can help me out with suggestions of what i would need that would be appreciated. i have a good 600ish$ budget maybe 800$max. i read into the 

You can't go wrong with a Schiit stack for the computer and Fiio makes some wonderful DAP's for the money. A Modi 2/Magni 2 Uber - Fiio X3/Fiio E12 would be quite the ticket and fit perfectly into your budget. YMMV and plenty of people will have differing opinions, I am just offering mine.

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #1,889 of 2,891
First big headphone purchase for me, buying the Mad Dog Pros off mrspeakers, I have been reading reviews on these and noticed you need an amp and possibly a dac, i have read a little into dacs/amps and now my question is...What would be the recommended amp/dac for these headphones? I will be using them 50/50 with my computer and on the go with my phone (Galaxys4) so how i said i have been reading into dacs/amps i noticed im going to need a good dac AND amp for my computer and a portable amp for my phone or amp/dac? not so sure, so if someone can help me out with suggestions of what i would need that would be appreciated. i have a good 600ish$ budget maybe 800$max.

If you want something portable that has an amp and dac built in, check out the oppo ha2 or cayin c5dac. They will both need an otg USB cable to work with your phone though.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,890 of 2,891
If you want something portable that has an amp and dac built in, check out the oppo ha2 or cayin c5dac. They will both need an otg USB cable to work with your phone though.

I have no experience with the Cayin, but the Oppo is indeed awesome. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back