MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #1,906 of 2,891
  I am careful with them. Use the little bag provided whenever they are not on my head, which goes into my backpack. Finish is fine, it is automotive grade paint so I would expect it to hold up like paint on a car - no?

My kids getting a hold of them at home are more of a risk than taking them outside of the house, imo:)

I am one of those guys who parks his in the middle of nowhere just to avoid the damage to my paint. But, I get your point. Maybe I will experiment with taking them outside.

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,907 of 2,891
  I am one of those guys who parks his in the middle of nowhere just to avoid the damage to my paint. But, I get your point. Maybe I will experiment with taking them outside.

Lol, fair enough. Never had a car where I cared about the paint job, so I guess consider the source. I would be pretty bummed if I scratched the paint on my primes, but not enough to avoid using this awesome and massively expensive headphone any chance I get:)

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #1,908 of 2,891
I think I would rather have the Alpha Prime than the HD650 but it seems to me that a common theme is people who sell their HD650s end up buying them again at some point.

Idk, my 400i has basically replaced my 650.

Since getting my primes they are all I listen to. They sound amazing, are comfortable and the isolation is very addictive. I can definately handle people giving me weird looks as I listen to them in public, so they go everywhere with me.

Got rid of your T70 pretty fast! You liking the Primes a lot with metal?

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #1,909 of 2,891
Idk, my 400i has basically replaced my 650.
Got rid of your T70 pretty fast! You liking the Primes a lot with metal?

T70s were from Amazon so I just returned them when I got my primes. Similar sound Sig, with the primes having a better bass response. The primes do everything well, not only metal.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #1,910 of 2,891
  Lol, fair enough. Never had a car where I cared about the paint job, so I guess consider the source. I would be pretty bummed if I scratched the paint on my primes, but not enough to avoid using this awesome and massively expensive headphone any chance I get:)

I am going to give it a shot, I have business trip at the end of the month...We will see how they do!

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #1,912 of 2,891
You do realize I am not liable for bad advice:wink:

I have taken my Primes out and about inside my computer bag (inside a semi-soft case) many, many times. Pull 'em out at Starbucks and look like a total geek working. :wink:

To my eyes, they still look pristine. That said, I'd rather have a few scratches that just show how much I love them, than reduce the amount I get to use them. I realize everyone approaches their equipment differently, though. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #1,913 of 2,891
As someone who upgraded, I have found the accuracy detail across the spectrum, as well as the improved imaging to be worth the extra $$$ for the Primes.

Alpha Primes are worth the extra money over the Alpha Dogs IMO. I prefer them to the Ether/C as well, especially considering the price difference.

Thanks for the experienced input, guys.

I have a very specific question for glasses wearers.  Maybe it's just me, but earpads that have leather on the surface that sits against your head tend to make a lot of creaky/squeaky noises against my glasses (horn-rim style with fairly wide plastic temples).  Like, every time I move my jaw at all -- to cough, or take a drink of coffee or whatever -- or adjust my glasses, there's loud creaking and squeaking.  

Is lamb leather any quieter in that regard?

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #1,914 of 2,891
I have taken my Primes out and about inside my computer bag (inside a semi-soft case) many, many times. Pull 'em out at Starbucks and look like a total geek working. :wink:

To my eyes, they still look pristine. That said, I'd rather have a few scratches that just show how much I love them, than reduce the amount I get to use them. I realize everyone approaches their equipment differently, though. 

Ya, that's how I feel about it. Aren't you glad you kept those lovely primes?

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #1,915 of 2,891
As someone who upgraded, I have found the accuracy detail across the spectrum, as well as the improved imaging to be worth the extra $$$ for the Primes.

Alpha Primes are worth the extra money over the Alpha Dogs IMO. I prefer them to the Ether/C as well, especially considering the price difference.

I have a very specific question for glasses wearers.  Maybe it's just me, but earpads that have leather on the surface that sits against your head tend to make a lot of creaky/squeaky noises against my glasses (horn-rim style with fairly wide plastic temples).  Like, every time I move my jaw at all -- to cough, or take a drink of coffee or whatever -- or adjust my glasses, there's loud creaking and squeaking.  

I wear my glasses, and have had zero issues with squeaky noise. I also get a very good, uniform seal with plenty of bass response.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,916 of 2,891
Ya, that's how I feel about it. Aren't you glad you kept those lovely primes?

I was all set to sell them towards a Mjolnir 2, since I was using my Ethers more anyway. Then 2 things happened: I got my Liquid Carbon, which really breathed new life into the Primes. They sound good to begin with, but when driven by a decently-powered amp....wow! Also, we moved, and it turns out that I'm going to be doing a lot of work in the living room, while my kids are watching Pokemon, and the Primes provide a level of isolation that keeps me sane. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #1,917 of 2,891

These pads are super soft and plush. I don't think you'll have an issue but obviously YMMV.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #1,918 of 2,891
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #1,919 of 2,891
Jan 8, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #1,920 of 2,891

Users who are viewing this thread

Back