MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 21, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,881 of 2,891
7A10B062-C924-455C-BFB0-89F4F210FDF9.jpeg

I use a PrimaLuna tube amp for speakers/headphones since I prefer tube sound. I am also using a 30 year old Melos SHA-1 for headphones as well as tube amps I designed.😁

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #2,883 of 2,891
A lovely looking rig
Thanks, in retirement I am putting together my dream system.

Sonus Faber speakers, REL subwoofers, Emotiva transport, a classical music collection on CD, maybe 500 disks.

I do own Alpha Primes of course, they are the only closed headphones I have kept.

I need higher impedance for many amps.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #2,884 of 2,891
Thanks, in retirement I am putting together my dream system.

Sonus Faber speakers, REL subwoofers, Emotiva transport, a classical music collection on CD, maybe 500 disks.

I do own Alpha Primes of course, they are the only closed headphones I have kept.

I need higher impedance for many amps.
Congrats on retirement and the dream rig building. Good place to be.

Sounds like a great system.

I really enjoy Prime still. It’s the only closed back I’ve kept after trying quite a few. I sold my original pair years ago and regretted it. Not letting this pair go unless I come across a closed back that I fall in love with more (unlikely I think).

If it had more bass presence it would be perfect for me.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #2,885 of 2,891
My son got a pair and after hearing his I decided to get into headphones and amps. Along the way I have designed headphone amps and have done extensive work with cables, headphone mods, and specific tubes I like to use in some of my headphone amps. I also began my own woodworking on amp cabinets and mini radial speaker cabinets.

faraday.jpgHL cabinet.jpg

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #2,886 of 2,891
My son got a pair and after hearing his I decided to get into headphones and amps. Along the way I have designed headphone amps and have done extensive work with cables, headphone mods, and specific tubes I like to use in some of my headphone amps. I also began my own woodworking on amp cabinets and mini radial speaker cabinets.

That’s awesome, looks great workmanship.

I’ve done some custom audio system work in a few cars I’ve had, which has involved some pretty crazy speaker modifications and cabinet building, though I’m talking over 20 years back and most of what I learned I’ve lost touch with.

Not done anything close to being as exquisite as pictured in your photos. With in-home audio I’ve not done any building or custom stuff. I don’t have steady enough hands, the ability to concentrate / focus enough, time, or money to throw at it these days.

Oct 11, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #2,887 of 2,891
I've gotten the Alpha Primes second hand and I have a couple of questions that somebody here will hopefully be able to help me with:

1. The slider that attaches the headband to the cups is loose and slides too freely. When i put them on my head, they immediately begin to slide down the side of my face instead of staying in place. How can i fix that?

2. On the left earcup, there is a weird little circular thing between the bottom of the slider and the cable connection point. What is that?

Pictures would be helpful here I know. I took a couple of pictures to show you guys. I tried to attach them to this post but it won't allow me to upload pictures from my computer. Crazy that. So no pictures but maybe I described it well enough?

Jan 26, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #2,889 of 2,891
I picked up a pristine set of Alpha Primes this week and I'm totally impressed. All I can think about is why did I wait so long to own them. They have all the elements I like in a closed back with sounding closed at all. The Alpha Primes plays clean, has nice air and space between the instruments, they have very good staging and the best part just might be their bass response. It hits with authority and impact with nice speed. I'm a fan!

IMG_0140.jpg

Jan 27, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #2,890 of 2,891
I picked up a pristine set of Alpha Primes this week and I'm totally impressed. All I can think about is why did I wait so long to own them. They have all the elements I like in a closed back with sounding closed at all. The Alpha Primes plays clean, has nice air and space between the instruments, they have very good staging and the best part just might be their bass response. It hits with authority and impact with nice speed. I'm a fan!

Could you compare them to your HE-500 pretty please?? I'm considering picking up a used HE-500 but have very fond memories of my Alpha Primes

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #2,891 of 2,891
Could you compare them to your HE-500 pretty please?? I'm considering picking up a used HE-500 but have very fond memories of my Alpha Primes
Sorry, I'm just seeing this. Comparing the Primes to HE-500's the first thing I noticed was the collapsed soundstage. The Primes don't sound as as open as the HE-500's. As good as the Primes are for a closed back, they can't really compete with some of the best open headphones. I 'll describe other sound characteristics starting with bass. The HE-500's have a more bass output and volume. They both have the same type of bass; tight, punchy, and very palpable. The HE-500's just hit a little harder to my ears.

The HE-500's have more midrange presence while also sounding more forward in the process. The Primes midrange sits back in comparison. Both headphones have a clean, detailed midrange. Both give you a lot of midrange information. The difference I'm hearing is the HE-500's sound a bit more nuanced, more inviting, with more texture overall.

Moving on the treble response, again the edge goes to the HE-500's. They sound clearer, sharper, with better clarity and more bite. The Primes treble doesn't sound as crisp or as extended.

Overall, the HE-500's have better attack, sound more extended at both ends of the spectrum, and have a more balanced sound. Both headphones have very good imaging. The HE-500's just presents music in a wider and deeper soundscape. Everything I said about the Alpha Primes still holds true because none of this surprised me. These are very common differences one can expect to hear when comparing open backs vs closed backs.

With that said, the HE-500's are one of my favorite Hifiman headphones, ever. It's an extremely musical headphone with classic old school Hifiman sound. I say get the HE-500's regardless of what other headphones you have in your collection :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back