MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 30, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #1,861 of 2,891

I think my problem was I had not extended the Headband long enough. Extending it allows a natural fit around my ears, but the top of my ears rests on the pad. Placing the ear in the middle of the pad by adjusting the Headband results in a weak seal under my ears. I guess I got it working now.

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,862 of 2,891
I think my problem was I had not extended the Headband long enough. Extending it allows a natural fit around my ears, but the top of my ears rests on the pad. Placing the ear in the middle of the pad by adjusting the Headband results in a weak seal under my ears. I guess I got it working now.

Yeah it took me a bit to get the fit just right, but man when I did. The Primes are simply amazing!!!

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #1,863 of 2,891
I agree, they are pretty amazing. Something about their sound is big, yet laid back. The soundstage is massive, singers sound like they are in front of me, rather than between my eyes. It is very neutral balanced, yet when called upon the bass is very present. In stock configuration I think I want more sparkle on top, but I will get used to the sound before messing with the included tuning pads.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #1,864 of 2,891
I have the primes, and just got to Cavali liquid carbon a week or so ago. It's a really special pairing. Maybe the ether is even better, but all I know is I'm loving the prime/LC combo. It's difficult for me to imagine better sound. I'm playing via a cayin n6 dap and emotiva stealth dc-1 dac......overall, that combination is killer. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #1,865 of 2,891
Ok, an update on the seal. I found the mr speakers adjust clamping force video on youtube. I figured if Dan has a video, what could happen? So, I clamped them down as he shows on the video, to as much as I could. Much better seal, now I can move my head around without losing the seal under my ears. In fact, pretty sure I could headbang without losing a seal (maybe).

So, if anyone is having a hard time getting a seal, increase the clamping force. Mine is much stronger now, but the pads are so soft it doesn't really bug me.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #1,866 of 2,891
Oh ya, I removed the cable to tighten clamping force. Holy Cow are these cables easy to put on and take off, and stay on with a brilliant locking mechanism. Not sure if Dan is the first to use these connectors or not but BIG shout out to him for using them on the Alpha Prime!! Best connectors I have every seen. Cable is great quality too, but it does have some serious microphonics going on (the DUM cable).

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,867 of 2,891
Some serious microphonics? What are you talking about??

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #1,869 of 2,891
  My cable is covered in a black material (maybe nylon?) that is very microphonic. Is this not the DUM cable?

Hmmm, the ones on the mr speakers website look different, the red is not on the metal connector (like mine is) and, the pic is small, but almost looks like it is covered in some kind of polymer (which would be much less microphonic than my nylon covered one). I got the 3.5mm connector for DAP use, wonder if I have the old version?

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,870 of 2,891
I have 2 dum cables....one single ended and the other balanced. Both are quiet as mice. Nice cables IMHO....but I tend to buy from norne audio as I need longer cables. They are extremely nice and not as crazy expensive as some. If you need some better cable, I'd highly recommend them.

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #1,873 of 2,891
My cable is covered in a black material (maybe nylon?) that is very microphonic. Is this not the DUM cable?

You may have the old one, be wary of classified ads here of DUM Cable that pass off as the new and less stiff version without a picture. There was one user that tried to sell me one as such.

New (Photo courtesy of hemtmaker)

Old

I have the older version. It's stiff and makes it difficult to use some of the time. Wish I had the newer one, but that comes with being an early adopter. :D

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,874 of 2,891
Happy New Year All, from the UK :)

Having first AP listen of the new year, focussing on EDM- and an excellent addition to my collection tonight is "Electro Light", specifically a track called 'Symbolism'.  Other great listens are anything under the "NCS" label (No Copyright Sounds).

Happy listening folks :-D

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #1,875 of 2,891
Considering selling my Fostex TH-X00 for either the Alpha Dog or Alpha Prime. I'd have to buy the latter used, though, as even at the discounted $799 retail price, it's beyond my budget. What are people buying / selling used APs for? I saw someone a few pages back picked them up for $650. Does that seem like a reasonable price point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back