MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
May 30, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #7,216 of 9,071
i own the AD, and had a chance to listen to the zmf v1, and vibro, at the nashville meet, i preferred the alpha, though some preferred the zmf
it was very brief, but the zmf i think seemed warmer than the alpha, like i said, it was a very brief listen

That's good to know actually! Zmf are definitely on the warmer side of neutral but I have to say I do enjoy this about them I think they are just a great fun sounding headphone.
Gotta try a AD

May 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #7,217 of 9,071
  I'd like to hear the zmf just for a comparative listen. 

too bad you weren't able to make nashville, we actually had one to give away as a door prize

May 30, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #7,219 of 9,071
  I never ever win door prizes. 

frown.gif
awwwwwwww

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #7,220 of 9,071
Anyone else drive their AD's straight from their iPhone 5S on-the-go? It sounds pretty good; I find myself taking my e17 with me less and less.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #7,224 of 9,071
I take my AD to a city tour today, compared with my friend's LCDx and confirmed that LCDx is not an upgrade for me, I used my Yulong D200 as AB compare platform, both with factory balanced cable. On the other hand, my friends start to become very interested in my AD, what a surprise (to him) indeed.

I then tried out two amplifiers with Alpha Dog at local headphone shops, the Bryston BHA-1 offers a lot of detail, very clean, and very powerful, but in a few tracks, I am listening to notes rather then music, so more detail really not always the best deal,

I then tried a tube amp. from Little Dot, the mk6 is a full-balanced amplifier rated at 5W + 5W (120+120 ohm), My goodness, this certainly is the best sounding combo with AD I have ever heard, it is powerful and yet with a lot of passion, I just can't stop to try out test tracks from a very wide genre and yet amazed every time I hit the play button.

I am not sure if the amp. is available in US, It is mid-fi price at most (around 600 USD equivalent in Hong Kong), I am sure there a better amp. for AD out there, but not at this price range, I just hope you guys has the chance to check out this combo.

More photo and detail of this amp can be found here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/328659/little-dot-mk-vi

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #7,226 of 9,071
I take my AD to a city tour today, compared with my friend's LCDx and confirmed that LCDx is not an upgrade for me, I used my Yulong D200 as AB compare platform, both with factory balanced cable. On the other hand, my friends start to become very interested in my AD, what a surprise (to him) indeed.

I then tried out two amplifiers with Alpha Dog at local headphone shops, the Bryston BHA-1 offers a lot of detail, very clean, and very powerful, but in a few tracks, I am listening to notes rather then music, so more detail really not always the best deal,

I then tried a tube amp. from Little Dot, the mk6 is a full-balanced amplifier rated at 5W + 5W (120+120 ohm), My goodness, this certainly is the best sounding combo with AD I have ever heard, it is powerful and yet with a lot of passion, I just can't stop to try out test tracks from a very wide genre and yet amazed every time I hit the play button.

I am not sure if the amp. is available in US, It is mid-fi price at most (around 600 USD equivalent in Hong Kong), I am sure there a better amp. for AD out there, but not at this price range, I just hope you guys has the chance to check out this combo.

thanks for your impressions! i have both the alpha dog, and the lcd x.
i have the bryston, but i've been very interested in this little dot, i've been mostly a tube guy for a great while.
the little dot is available here, from ebay, and the little dot website.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #7,227 of 9,071
It seems like the AD has more detail than you like, and you are finding that an amplifier that adds warmth and color helps.  

The Little Dot mk6 didn't sound like tube amp to me, I have tried the much more expensive ALO Studio Six and I don't really like that, so warm and colour is probably not rated very high in my check list.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #7,228 of 9,071
thanks for your impressions! i have both the alpha dog, and the lcd x.
i have the bryston, but i've been very interested in this little dot, i've been mostly a tube guy for a great while.
the little dot is available here, from ebay, and the little dot website.

Great, I just find the HeadFi thread for mk6 and mk8se, will check that out.

So what is the ongoing price of little dot over your side of the world? I didn't aware Little Dot ship to US direct, that's great to know.

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #7,229 of 9,071
Great, I just find the HeadFi thread for mk6 and mk8se, will check that out.

So what is the ongoing price of little dot over your side of the world? I didn't aware Little Dot ship to US direct, that's great to know.

mk6+ $770, $95 shipping from little dot, 3-4 week build time , no mention that i see of the mk8se

on ebay 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Dot-MK-VIII-SE-MK-8-SE-Balanced-Headphone-Amplifier-Silver-/261219590921?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3cd1e6a309  , and some other vendors

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #7,230 of 9,071
I'd love to try Alpha Dog since i've been looking for a reference closed back headphones. But unfortunately can't find them anywhere in EU - would be grateful if anyone knew where to buy these in EU.

Also is there a night and day difference between these and LCD-XC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back