MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 8, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #7,726 of 9,071

There are certainly times I'd enjoy a lighter cable, but removing the shielding does have potential downsides in terms of noise.  If memory serves, Dan is using the same canare star quad (i.e. high quality braided then shielded pure copper cable) that many top flight studios use for the sensitive mics that record the music we are all playing back.  Not sure how much purer you can really get.  

If you dig deep enough in the diy forum, you will find threads where people actually express preferences for canare and/or mogami (pro cables) over the uber expensive cardas audiophile stuff.  YMMV of course.

To my understanding only the front end of the amp needs the shield (input signals).  Not necessary on the power out side like headphones and speakers.  Unless you own a $12k garden hose speaker cable suspended in snake oil an terminated with unobtainium spades.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #7,727 of 9,071

To my understanding only the front end of the amp needs the shield (input signals).  Not necessary on the power out side like headphones and speakers.  Unless you own a $12k garden hose speaker cable suspended in snake oil an terminated with unobtainium spades.

I agree that it is unnecessary in most applications, but I have heard EMI that was picked up by an unshielded headphone cable, albeit only on one or two occasions.  Zu mobius and cardas evidently shield their headphone cables.  Sennheiser does as well.  And lots and lots of diy'ers make upgraded cables from canare or mogami (as compared to something like the super thin stock enammelled copper cable Beyer uses for dt880's).  Aside from weight and/or the aesthetic appeal of unshielded and unsheathed wire, I don't know of any upside to moving from shielded -> unshielded?  

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #7,728 of 9,071
I agree that it is unnecessary in most applications, but I have heard EMI that was picked up by an unshielded headphone cable, albeit only on one or two occasions.  Zu mobius and cardas evidently shield their headphone cables.  Sennheiser does as well.  And lots and lots of diy'ers make upgraded cables from canare or mogami (as compared to something like the super thin stock enammelled copper cable Beyer uses for dt880's).  Aside from weight and/or the aesthetic appeal of unshielded and unsheathed wire, I don't know of any upside to moving from shielded -> unshielded?  

Thanks for the information on shielded vs unbridled wire. I am thinking about getting a Norne Vanquish cable for my Alpha dogs, and the cable can come with no sheath or skin. I might go without any sleeve if it will not hurt the quality of the sound . I would like a cable, that is light, for I have been spending time in waiting rooms.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #7,730 of 9,071
Sweet, the vanquish cable is sounding better and better.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #7,731 of 9,071
Can anyone give me a comparison of the alpha dogs to the beyerdynamic T1p? I tried both of them at the LA meet this weekend and I liked both of them but I was unable to give either one of them enough time to really solidify how they are different. Besides pricing and open/closed of course.

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #7,733 of 9,071
Hi, How is comfort/seal for those who wear glasses?

I wear glasses and the Alpha Dogs, they are extremely comfortable and there is not a problem with seal. Enjoy the music!

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #7,735 of 9,071
  Hi, How is comfort/seal for those who wear glasses?

I find that they seal perfectly with my glasses. The comfort is also quite nice. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #7,736 of 9,071
I find that they seal perfectly with my glasses. The comfort is also quite nice. 

+1 Yes the few times I have worn glasses with the Alpha dogs, the cans would seal perfectly and sounded great.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #7,737 of 9,071
I mostly agree with the above posts regarding glasses.  Still, at some point, I end up putting the ear pieces on top of the cushions, rather than have them smashed by the pads.  It just works out better and more comfortable for me.  That said, they are pretty comfortable even smashed against my head.  The alpha pad is like a giant pillow / seal.  Greatly comfortable headphones.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #7,738 of 9,071
  I mostly agree with the above posts regarding glasses.  Still, at some point, I end up putting the ear pieces on top of the cushions, rather than have them smashed by the pads.  It just works out better and more comfortable for me.  That said, they are pretty comfortable even smashed against my head.  The alpha pad is like a giant pillow / seal.  Greatly comfortable headphones.

+1  When I wear my glasses I put the ear pieces over the pads as well.

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #7,740 of 9,071
Well all I shall go put on my alpha dogs and go watch "Good Morning Vietnam" in remembrance of Robin Williams, who has died. Please take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back