1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Aug 9, 2013.
First

Back
504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513
515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524
Next

Last
  1. reddog
    I honestly do not know for I found the sound to great without using the dots/felt pads. And I agree cables usually do not alter the sound signature. However I plan on getting some norne vanquish cables for the AD's, when I get a balanced amp. But I do not feel the sound will be improved by this cable.

2. Wildcatsare1
    ^^The Doggy Treats make a non subtle difference. Going straight from HD650's to the Alpha Dogs, I started out with two treats a side, now down to one. Burn in/brain burn-in, I don't know, but the AD's are not sibilant/bright like the HE400's, they are the most neutral HP's I have heard.

swspiers and reddog like this.
  3. reddog
    I agree the alpha dogs are the most neutral headphones I have used.

4. skeptic

x2.  Doggy Treats are a great way to tune the AD's to your liking - or to just give yourself a little change in flavor if you feel like one.  

5. torta

Funny thing about 400 was, that it was kind of dark thick sounding, but with strange ziiink on the top.

6. wahsmoh
    I just got back my Norne Vanquish cable (I accidentally broke it, I can be gorilla-like sometimes; long story as to how it broke).

Anyways, after getting back the cable and getting used to the stock cable for a week, I noticed some differences.

The new cable handles bass a lot tighter and more controlled. It is more than obvious and I wouldn't attribute it to selective hearing because I know I have bat-like ears. Also, the soundstage deepened a little more as if the sound is travelling along a wider bandwidth or something. The highs also sound more extended and detailed than the stock cable which doesn't pronounce them as much. The bass actually hits about the same but is slightly more controlled and not as flabby as the stock cable.

Is the cable worth it? The changes are subtle but noticeable enough that it seems another wall or obstacle was removed out of the way of the sound. If any of you are going to the SoCal Head-fi meet I may try to make it up there this Saturday and you can hear exactly what I am hearing right now.

7. reddog
    Thanks for your view on the Norne Vanquish cable, it makes me want to order the cable now. I especially how the highs are more extended and the bass is slightly more controlled. It seems these cables help compliment the overall sound signature of the AD'S.

8. musicman59
    I agree on your comments regarding the. Vanquish cable. I really like the little changes it provided to my AD.
    I am using 1 set of dog treats in my AD and to my ears they just sound perfect. It is probably the best closed headphones I have ever had. I am not a bass head so my old D5000/D7000/DX1000 had a little too much bass for my taste but the AD is just right for me.

9. Ableza
    IMO the Alpha Dogs are not overly bright at all.  Indeed, they are some of the most neutral full range headphones (or speakers) I've ever heard.  Excellent tonal balance throughout the entire audio spectrum.  As for the cable, I changed out the OEM for one that is much lighter, which I like.  No sound differences (nor should there be) but the lighter weight makes them less fatiguing to wear for hours on end.  Now if only I could stop the "microphonics" or noise transmission into the headphones from the cable rubbing my shirt, I'd be a happy boy.

reddog likes this.
  10. muziq
    What cable did you go with?  Or did you DIY it?  

11. Ableza

I bought a French Silk cable from Q-Audio.

12. Mullet
    While I don't notice any sibilance issues with the ADs, there are times when you hit a high piano note or certain areas on a guitar that have a thicker tone you can hear a slight crunchiness or glare. I feel like this is typical of the TR50P driver. I've noticed the same phenomenon with the Smeggy Thunderpants -- yet worse. The ADs with Doggytreats™ have pretty much made this a non-issue because it's only with certain songs and not as common as with the Thunderpants.

13. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    Haven't been on this thread in a while, but I wanna say that the midnight black AD looks.... delicious. Wish I could afford it.

I don't wanna go through 1000 pages, but have there been graphs about what the Treats tuning does to the AD? What does it look like in it's warmest settings?

14. Wildcatsare1
    ^They will included in the upcoming InerFidelty review.

15. MattTCG

Looking forward to what Tyll has to say. Thanks for the heads up.

First

Back
504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513
515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524
Next

Last