MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 23, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #5,957 of 9,071
My apologies for getting OT in this thread. Never meant to cause such an uproar!!
Shout out to the Alpha Dogs.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #5,958 of 9,071
  This is one of the stranger conversations I've read on HF. What do you think produces that "actual bass" in the theater? 

Matt, I've seen this new viewpoint in other Head-Fi threads.

Up until 1977, people mostly experienced bass as just lower notes - cello, bass viol, bass guitar, bass singers in barbershop quartets, etc - all of which go down to roughly 40 hz.  A few people felt bass if they were one of the few people who went to a pipe organ concert or a Grateful Dead concert.

Then in 1977, the battle cruiser went overhead at the beginning of Star Wars, and from that point on, the "felt" aspect of bass has become more and more popular, culminating with "bass drops" in hip-hop music and cars filled with sub-woofers, and home theaters having sub-woofers to reproduce the ".1" part of DVDs.

So, amongst people who have never heard a cello, but do listen to Dubstep, then bass is only "felt".  Hence the confusion.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #5,959 of 9,071
I'm not exactly sure how this started, but we are way OT. Keep this topic to the Sound Science forum, guys...

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #5,960 of 9,071
Last day for voting guys! We only need about 40 more votes for Mr. Speakers to get the 1000 needed. Please vote today if you haven't already. Remember that you can vote once per day!!

Link is on the HF home page.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #5,961 of 9,071
  Last day for voting guys! We only need about 40 more votes for Mr. Speakers to get the 1000 needed. Please vote today if you haven't already. Remember that you can vote once per day!!

Link is on the HF home page.

Link is also at the top of this page, at least it is for me. I'd vote many more times if I could.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #5,963 of 9,071
It's hard to know how all the entrants are doing, as there's no top vote-getters chart. In browsing around a lot, I think I saw one other entrant with around 1700 votes. Let's try to catch 'em on the last day of voting! 
smile.gif

Let's support one of our own, everyone, and vote for MrSpeakers today, if you haven't already, by CLICKING HERE!

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #5,964 of 9,071

It's hard to know how all the entrants are doing, as there's no top vote-getters chart. In browsing around a lot, I think I saw one other entrant with around 1700 votes. Let's try to catch 'em on the last day of voting! 
smile.gif

Let's support one of our own, everyone, and vote for MrSpeakers today, if you haven't already, by CLICKING HERE!

Love to, but you have to have a Facebook account...

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5,965 of 9,071
smile.gif

Voted! 

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #5,967 of 9,071
Got my last vote in.  I remembered almost everyday, which is rare for me!

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #5,970 of 9,071
Voted! I always forget that it's an every day allowance, but I've voted three or four times since the contest first popped up on the main page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back