MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 24, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #5,986 of 9,071
Few weeks ago, I started a list of AMPs that I know offer a very good synergy with the TH-900 that I own, and other Head-Fiers completed this list.

As we know often "synergy" between the AMP and the Headphone is more important than the specs & quality of each element considered separatly.

-->  Could someone start here a list of the Amps proven to offer exceptional synergy with the AD (portable & desktop) ?  and also those AMPs to avoid with the AD...

side question : Do you know also if the AD pair well with the AK240 (balanced mode or SE)

thanks

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #5,987 of 9,071
  Now I have a question. Dan, does the Obedience Kit (the dots) improves the sound every time, even when you're already satisfied with the trebles ? I guess yes and I am tempted to order it when it becomes available. (?)

Dan's earlier post says no:

There is a physics explanation I won't go into but the short story is that Fostex's materials have some variations that cause peakiness in treble output on some but not all phones, and it can vary by lot.  The peaks are narrow, they are not on every headphone, they are within spec, and they are at a frequency that some people are sensitive to, and others are perhaps not. 

But we're OCD about continuous improvement and I know many of you share our passion for this, so we thought the best thing to do was just put it on the table in a way that is fun, reversible, and customizable.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #5,988 of 9,071
Yes, but if this improve the soundstage and black space like he said ? (And make coffee, massages... erhhh no.)

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #5,990 of 9,071
Well if it's of any assurance, I like the stock Alpha Dog more than a touring LCD-X unit right now with the Objective 2 amp. I already miss the Alpha Dog's sound. >.>

Interesting 
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #5,991 of 9,071
Yes, but if this improve the soundstage and black space like he said ? (And make coffee, massages... erhhh no.)

The key thing to remember is that your hearing, ear shape, and other factors come into play, as well as micro variations in the phones' treble responses.  We're dealing with a pretty subtle adjustment, and if it is NEEDED based on what you hear than you will realize the benefits.  If you aren't hearing the problem, it is not clear to me how the secondary attributes like black space will be affected.

In many ways this is a bit like tube rolling, and the only way to answer this kind of question will be for a few people who are thoroughly satisfied to try it and see if they are more, the same, or less satisfied.  

The general rule I will give is simply "if you are happy with the treble then this is totally optional."   

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #5,992 of 9,071
If you play around with a good EQ, you will see that this is a situation where you need the right amount of treble - not too much (sounds harsh and piercing) and not too little (sounds dull and less realism).

So, it's not a case of more treble is better, or more dots are better.

It's a subtle adjustment that MrSpeakers is making available for perfectionists.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #5,993 of 9,071
Thank you for the answers, it is very clear. I probably try to see because it will not be very expensive.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #5,994 of 9,071
With his deep roots in the T50 tuning, BlueMonkeyFlyer seemed a good fellow to contact, and he kindly agreed to take a look.  Fortunately, he had done tests earlier on something directly related to our needs and had an insight to create a tuning square, which we'll call the BMD (BlueMonkeyDot).  The BMD started shipping on Alphas shipped starting Feb 10.  A big thanks to BMF for his support on this!  

Many people like their Alpha Dogs as is, so it's important to remember that due to ear shape, hearing, music choice and equipment not everyone will feel the treble needs adjustment at all.  But if you do own a set and want to smooth or step down the treble, we will have an "Alpha Dog Obedience Kit" up on our website for $14.99 plus shipping (this just covers our cost).  

So does the kit come standard with those that shipped starting Feb 10th, and it's available for $14.99 for those who received theirs before that shipment?  Or am I looking at two different things, thinking they are the same?

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #5,995 of 9,071
So does the kit come standard with those that shipped starting Feb 10th, and it's available for $14.99 for those who received theirs before that shipment?  Or am I looking at two different things, thinking they are the same?

I am using the parts of the kit on phones shipped after those dates, but I am not including the full kit as it isn't needed. Most headphones have one or two dots per channel, some have a disc installed. It's about getting the right sound vs a specific part count.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 25, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #5,997 of 9,071
The default sound signature is balance, neutral to slightly dark and MrSpearkers tunes his headphones by using his ears and tools so he is the person who decides whether use the mod to his headphones or not. Please reread the old posts.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #5,998 of 9,071
Dan,

Now that the AD production is in full swing and supply and demand is about to be even, I hope you have started designing the new headphones you promised, Project: Puppy Dogs.  I can't wait to see your prototype of a small, light weight and portable MrSpeakers headphone. 

P.S.  There is a class action lawsuit being filed against you for insomnia.

Regards,
sunnee

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #5,999 of 9,071
  The default sound signature is balance, neutral to slightly dark and MrSpearkers tunes his headphones by using his ears and tools so he is the person who decides whether use the mod to his headphones or not. Please reread the old posts.

I did read them, and I know what the OLD Alpha Dogs were supposed to sound like, yet he's modifying the newer batches, which is why I asked the question.  He even states that many people like the sound of the original ADs, and that they might not even like the new changes.  He then says that the "kit" is a no-tools, 3 minute upgrade, and it's fully reversible if you don't prefer the sound.

So my question is the same.  Are the new batches the new default sound, or do they simply have part of the kit on them, which is reversable for those possibly wanting to hear what they sound like without the modifications?

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #6,000 of 9,071
If I've read and understood everything correctly, every AD shipped past X date has at least one dot applied to each channel. Some have two dots. Some might also have felt disks implemented. You will be able to purchase the full kit separately. If I'm incorrect, clarification would be great.

Got some time to listen during my ~2-3AM lunch break. Initial impressions of the fixed, tweaked tour AD are considerably more positive than what I heard originally. I'll be sure to give plenty of details about the new tweaks themselves as well once I give them some listening over my "weekend" (next 3 nights).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back