MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #6,016 of 9,071
  has anyone here made their own cables for their ADs? i'm making a lightweight travel cable and have most of it done, but haven't soldered the ends to the adapters (the parts that attach to the earpieces) because i can't figure out which terminals to connect. on the mrspeakers site he gives the wire configuration for L and R: https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Alpha-Dog-Headphone

but if i have two wires going to each cup and there are four pins in the connector part, which pins should i solder to? the pins are not numbered as far as i can tell...i feel like there's something simple that i'm missing.

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

If you get confused use the Ohm Meter Luke...   
Just ohm out the original cable and duplicate the connections on your new cable... 
after you solder the new cable make sure you check the connection of + and - to make sure you have not created a short circuit...

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #6,017 of 9,071
The pins are numbered on the back black plastic, they are small, and you may need a lens to be able to see them. But they are there.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #6,018 of 9,071
I think what he is asking is which of the 4 pins in each of the mini xlr's are used if you have a cable with 4 conductors.  I.e. for the left channel, do you connect L+ and L- to pins 1 and 2 or to pins 3 and 4?

Measuring continuity is one way to piece it out, but the description makes this a little confusing.  

Pinout For Custom Cables
The Alpha Dog use a dual-entry cable attachment.    The plug is available to cable manufacturers at www.evalucon.com, and the part number is SN-8-4(P).  We will have these available for purchase on our site begining October 9, 2013.  
Left:  
1 = L+
2 = L - (or ground for single ended cables)
3 = L+
4 = L- (or ground for single ended cables)

Right:
1 = R+
2 = R - (or ground for single ended cables)
3 = R+
4 = R- (or ground for single ended cables)

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #6,019 of 9,071
Maybe Dan has them jumped inside the cup.   1 with 3 and 2 with 4.   That way you only need to use two of the pins.  

On my cable I jumped the pins anyway just in case of a poor connection or a pin failure.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #6,020 of 9,071
Thanks for all the info guys. I think dan does indeed jumper the pins inside the cup or at the connector.

Another potentially stupid question: how do I disassemble the connector to get at the pins so I can solder the wires? The sleeve rotates but I can't disassemble it to do the soldering. Do I just pull hard? Maybe if I can get the thing open I can actually see the numbers that Dan says are there. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #6,022 of 9,071
Thanks for all the info guys. I think dan does indeed jumper the pins inside the cup or at the connector.

Another potentially stupid question: how do I disassemble the connector to get at the pins so I can solder the wires? The sleeve rotates but I can't disassemble it to do the soldering. Do I just pull hard? Maybe if I can get the thing open I can actually see the numbers that Dan says are there. Thanks.

Once the screws are loose, just plug it into the phone and gently rotate counter clockwise.  The plug is two sections, and this allows the outer sleeve to come off.  Without having the jack of the headphone handy that can be tricky.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #6,023 of 9,071
Once the screws are loose, just plug it into the phone and gently rotate counter clockwise.  The plug is two sections, and this allows the outer sleeve to come off.  Without having the jack of the headphone handy that can be tricky.
This tip helped. Once I got it in the headphone, it was easy to screw off. Okay, time to do a little soldering.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #6,024 of 9,071
This may not be a popular question....but in my search for a more everyday transportable hp...the alpha seemed to fit the bill best for quality to price ratio...which isn't a surprise! My dilemma is that I've been offered a great price on a beyerdynamic T5p and so I'm tempted....so far I've not encountered anyone who has heard them both. Anyone had the pleasure?
Thanks

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #6,025 of 9,071
This may not be a popular question....but in my search for a more everyday transportable hp...the alpha seemed to fit the bill best for quality to price ratio...which isn't a surprise! My dilemma is that I've been offered a great price on a beyerdynamic T5p and so I'm tempted....so far I've not encountered anyone who has heard them both. Anyone had the pleasure?
Thanks

The T5p is much easier to drive than the AD, and sounds better straight out of an iPod or MP3 player than the AD does. However, the AD is much more musical when powered by a decent portable amp, and has much better imaging.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #6,026 of 9,071
Thanks

have not heard the T5p, but my inclination would be to get the T5p if it is indeed a really great deal. you can always sell it with minimal loss (or even at profit) if you don't like it. and soon, there will be more ADs that will be used. as far as sound goes, i can't comment on how the two differ, but the ADs are truly a blast to listen to...

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #6,027 of 9,071
Thanks

I have only heard a heavily modified T5p.  It had LOTS OF BASS!!!!!!! but did sound nice.  I like the sound of the AD better.  I use mine transportably, in a nice carry bag (one of the old headroom ones) and then messenger bag.  I listen sitting at my desk, using a Centrance HIFI-M8.  If you really want a portable rig, for comfort and portability, I might prefer the T5p.  I'd have to hear one stock though.  The AD is pretty big and heavy for true portable use.  If you use it as I do, take it from place to place, good portable source and amp, not being physically active while using it, the AD is great.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #6,028 of 9,071
Thanks

In on my phone so can't write too much but check my review I think I wrote a little snippet there...

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #6,029 of 9,071
I have only heard a heavily modified T5p.  It had LOTS OF BASS!!!!!!! but did sound nice.  I like the sound of the AD better.  I use mine transportably, in a nice carry bag (one of the old headroom ones) and then messenger bag.  I listen sitting at my desk, using a Centrance HIFI-M8.  If you really want a portable rig, for comfort and portability, I might prefer the T5p.  I'd have to hear one stock though.  The AD is pretty big and heavy for true portable use.  If you use it as I do, take it from place to place, good portable source and amp, not being physically active while using it, the AD is great.

I can just imagine a pimped up version with fat exhausts coming out and a lime green go faster strip on head band! They're not normally known for their bass....:)

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #6,030 of 9,071

I can just imagine a pimped up version with fat exhausts coming out and a lime green go faster strip on head band! They're not normally known for their bass....:)

Kinda what I thought. Sleepers, they looked stone stock, but they were eyeball shakers for sure, mostly in a good way. Quite light and comfy. All in all, not my style though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back