MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #5,942 of 9,071
Here is suggestion from my side to ones who think AD bass is weak. If you use Foobar get IIR plugin and choose CD De-Emphasis and see if this makes you happy. Note that when you play in Foobar Red Book CD audio (whether directly from CD or ripped) the emphasis information is not taken into account, that means that some CD's are played good, because they were recorded without emphasis, and some CDs sound lacking bass, because they do have emphasis. If you used reference CD player device that complies to Red Book standard, then it would decode emphasis, which is stored on the CD is special place, to which Foobar has no access. Anyways IIR filter DSP plugin solves that issue. It's not automatic, and it's up to you to decide whether you need it or not, but you would be surprised how much better some CD's sound if you actually turn De-emphasis on. When it comes to Alpha Dog I would never say they lack bass. After few hours of listening to Dark Knight Returns soundtrack I got a serious headache, so bass is there, and it's quite a lot of it there. Actually that album I got in 192/24 from HD tracks, so no need for IIR, and still there is huge amount of bass in the performance of Alpha Dogs, even if I decreased bass amount by opening ports by one turn of the Very Bass screws. In this setting Alpha Dogs signature resembles my loudspeakers, and that makes me happy, and getting less headaches and ear pains, since I like loud listening :) I think some of you may have received Alpha Dogs recently, and you see treble slightly harsh and bass slightly weak, but I can tell you from my experience that these cans do burn-in in time. It is now over half year I use them and their sound is more defined and more pleasant. Disclaimer: YMMV :D

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #5,943 of 9,071
I own a pair of LCD 3's actually and did some research and it turns out that they DO NOT produce actual bass. They can hit the low frequencies but no ACTUAL bass. An easy test would be to pull one cup off your ear or one iem off. You are really only perceiving the bass.

I did some research and found that no headphone produces any ACTUAL sound. You are really just perceiving the sound.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #5,944 of 9,071
Hahaha.. what is 'ACTUAL' bass? 

Ha ha. I'm talking about actual impact. The force of air being moved. Have you never been to a concert? Even a movie theatre? Most would describe bass as an external force. A lot of companies use virtual pitch in their designs because let's face it, audiophiles aren't very demanding when it comes to bass. Which is also why you'll see headphones that use some other mechanism to "shake" the cans as well. I think skull candy sells a pair.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #5,945 of 9,071
We've all been to concerts and movie theaters.  Bass is both heard and felt.  Headphones are perfectly capable of reproducing bass down to 20hz.  Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean it isn't actual bass.  I'm pretty sure a bass guitar doesn't resonate my chest cavity.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #5,946 of 9,071
  We've all been to concerts and movie theaters.  Bass is both heard and felt.  Headphones are perfectly capable of reproducing bass down to 20hz.  Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean it isn't actual bass.  I'm pretty sure a bass guitar doesn't resonate my chest cavity.

Very true. I believe anything under 20hz is felt more than heard, although some claim to be able to hear 15hz which i never could. I'm not here trying to bash on headphones. I was just curious because I read a few articles by manufacturers saying things of the same nature. I was trying to discuss it but had the wrong people answer I suppose.
Although a bass guitar can and will "thump" your chest.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #5,947 of 9,071
Yes give enough amplitude by the speakers the sound outputting from them will thump your chest.

The bass guitar was a bad example, but there are many acoustic bass instruments that will not resonate your chest.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #5,950 of 9,071
^^okay, I'm out of this one. 
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #5,951 of 9,071
Just substitute the actual bass for wub wub noises from your mouth whilst listening. Or eat a lot of beans a few hours prior.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #5,952 of 9,071
What is the current backlog of the AD? I am coming over to US for a short two weeks in late March, wonder if I can catch up with the schedule if I place an order this week?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 23, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #5,953 of 9,071
I own a pair of LCD 3's actually and did some research and it turns out that they DO NOT produce actual bass. They can hit the low frequencies but no ACTUAL bass. An easy test would be to pull one cup off your ear or one iem off. You are really only perceiving the bass. Which is why so many people have different opinions of bass signature on the same cans.
Which doesn't really matter in the scheme of things.

"which doesn't really matter in the scheme of things" - exactly. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #5,954 of 9,071
What is the current backlog of the AD? I am coming over to US for a short two weeks in late March, wonder if I can catch up with the schedule if I place an order this week?

Believe it or not, on Mr. Speakers' website they list how long the back order is. All you have to do is google it and you too can know how long the back order is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back