MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #3,631 of 9,071
I agree that the headband is not as great and the foam inside the headband tend to squash and I would feel the support wires in the headband rather quickly. I do not see a very easy way to replace the foam.

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #3,632 of 9,071

I'm like that as well... After a few weeks though I feel I have enough "data" in order to validate (or invalidate) my initial impressions. But they usually "stand"...

Love the Alphas... especially with better sources.
Rocking them right now at work listening to Ellie Goulding... :p

alphas vs Yamaha HPH-MT220
??????

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #3,633 of 9,071
  alphas vs Yamaha HPH-MT220
??????

Definitely two different beasts! 

Overall sound signature, the Alphas are still warmer and cleaner throughout the whole frecuency range and a bit more "laid back"! The Yammies are a bit colder, brighter but no slouch when it comes to represent the low-end (i.e. it is NOT a Shure SRH940/Spider Moonlight "monitoring"/"pro" type headphone). In a bit more detail, Highs are "boosted" up a bit on the Yamaha's. In fact, this "boost" actually introduce a bit of "hiss" to some already badly recorded songs. It definitely extends higher than the Alpha's but they are NOT as pleasant sounding, though they are never harsh. Mids are forward and clean but compared to the ADs, the Yammies sound more "in-your-face". Mids on the Alphas are lovely, and again, they're more warmer and I prefer them for straight-up music listening... too good! Bass... Both have excellent extension down there, both sound clean but the Yammies DO have more impact. Their sub-bass is more plentiful and enveloping as well so bassy tracks are, well... bassy. On the other hand on the Alphas, the same tracks lack "punch", the bass is there and it hits just not as hard! Finally imaging or what I call instrument separation is worlds apart, I just think that Dan knows how to tweak that T50RP driver cause it trounces the Yamaha's (and a lot of headphones I've tried) and kicks it's butt all over the place! :p 

Due to their nature, I actually like the Yamaha's for movie watching and gaming. Their sound-stage is a bit narrower than the ADs but their clean, brighter, in-your-face sound help them over the ADs to my ears. But For straight up music listening, the Alphas are just too good!

Comfort definitely goes to the Alpha Dogs. The Alpha pads are just so good and since they are deep as well, your ears never touch the driver enclosure. Not so with the Yamaha's. Even though the earpads are big enough to envelop the whole ear, since they are not deep pads, the ear RESTS on the driver. Is it bad? No, not really but I can see people having problems with how they "feel".

Miscellaneous, well, no detachable cables, no stand, no bags (that I remember), etc. for the Yamaha's. Alpha Dogs, well, you have probably read with all the things that it comes with. Yammies are well constructed though, they feel good, they are lighter but built to last with good materials. With the ADs I'm super careful, not so with the Yammies.

Over all, I like both. 
I feel that the MT220s can provide some things that the AD is missing (mostly more bass impact and a brighter more in-your-face sound that's never harsh to my ears!) but all in all the Alpha Dogs are the winners on this battle! As with everything though, it comes to a battle of... Price. For $250, the Yamaha's are an EXCELLENT choice if you are looking for a brighter (north of neutral definitely) sound with pleasant in-your-face mids and slamming bass... but I have to ADMIT that at $600 the Alpha Dogs do offer a whole lot for the price, maybe not a whole lot of "air" nor brightness and a bit more laid back but they are a lot of headphone....

Now I can't wait to compare against the Shure SRH1540 and the Beyer T5p... :eeeeeeeeeekkkk:

Hope it helped.

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #3,634 of 9,071
I tried the Alphas a little bit today. I didn't think the seal was quite as good on the ADs as my Mad Dogs, then I remembered I had angled the pads on my Mad Dogs a little while ago. Angling them on the ADs improved the seal and comfort, with about a 10-15 degree twist. So, if anyone wants to make their Dogs a bit more comfortable, try twisting the pads!

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #3,635 of 9,071
Some initial impressions:
Listening to the intro of this song -

I can really tell that the soundstage of the Alpha Dogs has been improved, as well as the clarity. You do lose a tad bit of bass volume, but in exchange you get more clarity throughout the spectrum. The Mad Dogs sound more congested in comparison.

I'll have pictures from my DSLR tomorrow as well as some more impressions. Good night to everyone for now!

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #3,637 of 9,071
thanks gelock....
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #3,638 of 9,071
Have decided not to upgrade to the Alphas right now, Judging by peoples impressions I think I will prefer the Liquid and juicy sound of the Mad dog. LCD 2 looks like my next move! Will consider upgrading in the future.

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #3,639 of 9,071
  Have decided not to upgrade to the Alphas right now, Judging by peoples impressions I think I will prefer the Liquid and juicy sound of the Mad dog. LCD 2 looks like my next move! Will consider upgrading in the future.

Actually I'm maybe getting an MD 3.2 my self to hopefully upgrade in the future to an AD

That said, I really need a closed Bass Heavy HeadPhone. The HE 400 is my current EDM can and well it doesn't get much love... I don;t listen to a TON of EDM at home and sadly on the go the HE 400 loses it's sub due to outside noise SO the SUPER ISOLATING MD and AD are my next choice. Seeing as ironically I EQ'd the HE 400 and MD with the same settings [without knowing it until I loaded my old MD EQ]

EHm that said, my MAIN question is about the Bass Tune for the AD... any one try it and with what results! I would ofc like a smidge bassier AD that stock. Seeing as I can't have the AD replaceing my w1000x ;3 [gatta keep my w1000x the neutral one xD] 

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #3,641 of 9,071
  Actually I'm maybe getting an MD 3.2 my self to hopefully upgrade in the future to an AD

That said, I really need a closed Bass Heavy HeadPhone. The HE 400 is my current EDM can and well it doesn't get much love... I don;t listen to a TON of EDM at home and sadly on the go the HE 400 loses it's sub due to outside noise SO the SUPER ISOLATING MD and AD are my next choice. Seeing as ironically I EQ'd the HE 400 and MD with the same settings [without knowing it until I loaded my old MD EQ]

EHm that said, my MAIN question is about the Bass Tune for the AD... any one try it and with what results! I would ofc like a smidge bassier AD that stock. Seeing as I can't have the AD replaceing my w1000x ;3 [gatta keep my w1000x the neutral one xD] 

I would describe the Alpha Dog in many glowing ways, but this would not be one of them.

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #3,642 of 9,071

You want a th600 or dX000

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #3,643 of 9,071
  I would describe the Alpha Dog in many glowing ways, but this would not be one of them.

You want a th600 or dX000

Hmm well honestly I liked the MD 3.2 for EDM when I had it many a times ago. It suprised me often... and un eq'd I put it at about the same bass level as the HE 400 from memory... not to mention I EQ the MD and HE 400 with the same settings [using a 18band eq] that said... to my ears un eq'd MD should resmble the un eq'd HE 400. We shall see though maybe... I might try to steal a modded D2 or 5k actually 

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #3,644 of 9,071
I like the bass on the Alpha Dog much more than on the Mad Dog 3.2. I find it to have more rumble and more impact (a la LCD-2). Then again, the Alpha Dog might have had a better seal on my head due to the ultra-squishy earpads.

I'm still writing up my impressions slowly but surely...

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #3,645 of 9,071
I like the bass on the Alpha Dog much more than on the Mad Dog 3.2. I find it to have more rumble and more impact (a la LCD-2). Then again, the Alpha Dog might have had a better seal on my head due to the ultra-squishy earpads.

I'm still writing up my impressions slowly but surely...

Take your time. We can certainly wait one or two minutes more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back