MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #3,661 of 9,071
"Great, fine, fantastic, wonderful, unbelievable...." are words that can make little sense in the end in a review unless you are familiar with the reviewer and the gears he is exposed to. When you have been around in head-fi for long enough, you will become more skeptical of everything said than accepting everything you read. My advice is just order a pair of the headphone and listen to them yourself with your own gears. At least that's what I have just done instead of waiting for the upgrading program, which seems like an endless wait at the moment.

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3,662 of 9,071
Been away from this thread a little while.  Need to get caught up on 250+ posts but figured I'd through up some pics for fun this Saturday evening.  After a 2 week break from listening due to work load it's great getting re-acquainted with these AD's.  That sexy cable is a Q-audio cable that Steve made for me.  More to come later.............

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #3,663 of 9,071

Thanks.  I may need to take a leap and order these, hopefully my 150mW V-Moda Vamp will be up to the task.

How much does the  V-Moda Vamp usually cost about $225? What about the V-Moda Vamp Verza? God forbid it cost $600 for that tiny little thing? My new Emotiva Mini cost about $169. It is the smallest 2 channel amp that Emotiva sells but it is still 15” depth and weighs about 11 1/2Lbs. Even the DAC cost about $200 for a total of $369 for the DAC/AMP combination and I have all the power needed for full scale classical music that I heard for many years in concert unamplified.  Just trying to show a user with a different perspective.
You will do just fine.
smile.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3,664 of 9,071
Can anyone explained this pinout on the AD.
 On the Mrspeaker's website. ..https://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=69
Pinout For Custom Cables
The Alpha Dog use a dual-entry cable attachment.    The plug is available to cable manufacturers at www.evalucon.com, and the part number is SN-8-4(P).  We will have these available for purchase on our site begining October 9, 2013.  
Left:  
1 = L+
2 = L - (or ground for single ended cables)
3 = L+
4 = L- (or ground for single ended cables)

Right:
1 = R+
2 = R - (or ground for single ended cables)
3 = R+
4 = R- (or ground for single ended cables)

does this mean that both the L&R connectors have pin 1 & 3 shorted & 2 & 4 shorted?

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #3,667 of 9,071
  For those who've had the AD, does anyone listen to classical, especially strings? Any impressions for how these do with classical? 

I haven't really done any comparisons to my Stax, but I think the Alpha Dogs do strings better than the Mad Dogs. The mad dogs just sounded too dark and weird for strings to sound right, but I don't think that's really the case with the Alphas.

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #3,669 of 9,071
I'm listening to Arvo Part's "Tabula Rusa" and the AD has the speed, clarity, and neutrality to make the string instruments sound natural to my ears.  That's all I can ask for.  

Quote:
  For those who've had the AD, does anyone listen to classical, especially strings? Any impressions for how these do with classical? 

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #3,670 of 9,071
  There is something odd on the Mr. speaker's website. The two cable options are showing both for 1/4 instead of one for a 4-pin XLR.

The pinout is the same on the phone side and the only difference amp-side is that the (-) wires are joined as ground.  We follow the standard pinout for 4Pin XLR and 1/4".

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #3,671 of 9,071
I just did a little photo shoot with the Alpha Dogs and finally had some time to compare them to my other two headphones I have right now:

Photo shoot below:

Sound impressions to come tomorrow probably.

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #3,672 of 9,071

Amen @aamefford, amen. I have to agree. I personally tore into my car stereo because the newest technology it supported was cassette, not iPod. Music is music to me. I'd rather listen to music on my phone speaker than be a picky snob when I want to hear a certain song.
I used the fiio e11 to amp a concert speaker while we were pulling apart the car stereo.
Of course, that doesn't mean I don't want to get the absolute best whenever it makes sense, just that I'm okay with "good enough".
I guess that should be considered when anyone reads my AD review.

Yep, right with ya @mechgamer123 I bounce between the 95% and the 5%.  I like music.  I am finding myself more desirous of listening to music, than of requiring fidelity lately, again, and finally!  I'm still a snob, but not as bad as I used to be.  One has to still be an audio snob at least a little to pay $600 or $300 or $1800 for a pair of headphones!  ($650 is my tops so far, D7000's back when they were heavily discounted.)

Heh, I don't consider it snobby so much as it is trying to achieve perfection, or at least try and keep my ears from bleeding from poopy bass or harsh vocals. 
tongue.gif

I can safely say I've never spent over $300 on any one set of headphones at one time.

(Excluding shipping and handling and pads) 

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #3,673 of 9,071
My few days with the Alpha proved to me they are quite capable of being Bassy enough for my liking. Phrase it any way you want but fed by my vintage amps they were far from bass light and far from a disappointment even listening to them right after a D7000. Close enough to blow my mind in fact.

This, after a very disappointing weekend back in March with the Mad Dogs that had me mentally write off Mr Speakers as a viable headphone supplier to me. Wrongo..........

I'm sure how these animals are fed are crucial to what I experienced.

Exactly I remember hearing you make that comment on the Bass Head Thread 

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #3,674 of 9,071
Wonder if these will ever come in black (better yet matte black) or even white (as per prototype image on 1st pg). That'd tempt me even more not really a fan of red although the finish does look nice.

Also, how would these compare to Sony 7520s for closed back monitoring/neutral cans? Anyone tried both? 7520s seem to be getting a lot of praise, plus half the price, lighter. No alpha pads though and I'd imagine they'd lack some richness and maybe low end compared to planars.

I think I remember reading an earlier post in this thread by third_eye saying the ADs were a lot more expansive than the Sony? How about detail? Are ADs more for enjoyment than the 7520 & less about analysing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back