MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #3,646 of 9,071
Hmm well honestly I liked the MD 3.2 for EDM when I had it many a times ago. It suprised me often... and un eq'd I put it at about the same bass level as the HE 400 from memory... not to mention I EQ the MD and HE 400 with the same settings [using a 18band eq] that said... to my ears un eq'd MD should resmble the un eq'd HE 400. We shall see though maybe... I might try to steal a modded D2 or 5k actually 

My few days with the Alpha proved to me they are quite capable of being Bassy enough for my liking. Phrase it any way you want but fed by my vintage amps they were far from bass light and far from a disappointment even listening to them right after a D7000. Close enough to blow my mind in fact.

This, after a very disappointing weekend back in March with the Mad Dogs that had me mentally write off Mr Speakers as a viable headphone supplier to me. Wrongo..........

I'm sure how these animals are fed are crucial to what I experienced.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #3,648 of 9,071
EHm that said, my MAIN question is about the Bass Tune for the AD... any one try it and with what results! I would ofc like a smidge bassier AD that stock. Seeing as I can't have the AD replaceing my w1000x ;3 [gatta keep my w1000x the neutral one xD] 

The reports in this thread (about 2-3 weeks ago) were that the bass tune was great for the purpose of the factory tuning of each pair of headphones, but that changing the setting significantly decreases the bass quality - and that ulitmately, there was no overall benefit from changing the settings - regardless of whether or not one had a preference for more bass or less bass.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #3,650 of 9,071
That depends on how loud you listen at. If you listen at volumes that can induce hearing damage, probably not. If you listen at a safe 80dB or so, it'll be fine.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3,651 of 9,071
They sounded plenty bassy straight out of an iPhone.

ヽ(´ー`)┌

To confirm what you are saying, the Alpha Dogs can be driven to enjoyable listening levels straight through an Iphone?

Yes. Both the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog are fine out of the iPhone. Jude says so too in his video on the first post.
I can't get a decent volume out of the iphone4s

How loud do you listen to your music?
@miceblue
 was able to get my MDs to their preferred listening volume at 2/3 volume on the 4S.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #3,652 of 9,071

Yes. Both the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog are fine out of the iPhone. Jude says so too in his video on the first post.  

Definition of "fine"?
They are pretty hard to drive to their best. Even onboard amp in Yulong DA8 doesn't do them proper justice comparing to Headamp GS-1 or AURALiC Taurus. That's the issue with all planars phones, not enough juice, no dynamics and details, even if you get plenty of volume.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #3,653 of 9,071
  Definition of "fine"?
They are pretty hard to drive to their best. Even onboard amp in Yulong DA8 doesn't do them proper justice comparing to Headamp GS-1 or AURALiC Taurus. That's the issue with all planars phones, not enough juice, no dynamics and details, even if you get plenty of volume.

Things like strong piano music are hard to reproduce because of very high impulsive peaks. You need amp that has plenty of reserve power for it even for dynamic headphones. That why I am trying out the Emotiva mini-X a-100 a speaker amp for the hard to drive planner headphones as well for my normal dynamic headphones.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #3,654 of 9,071
  Things like strong piano music are hard to reproduce because of very high impulsive peaks. You need amp that has plenty of reserve power for it even for dynamic headphones. That why I am trying out the Emotiva mini-X a-100 a speaker amp for the hard to drive planner headphones as well for my normal dynamic headphones.

Yeah..Mini-X.  Just loving it with the MD's.

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #3,656 of 9,071

Thanks.  I may need to take a leap and order these, hopefully my 150mW V-Moda Vamp will be up to the task.

Depends.  I can listen to them from an iPhone and enjoy them.  If you are the guy that hates everyone else's stereo because it just isn't good enough, the guy who rips out the factory stereo in his car because he HAS to, not because he wants to, the guy who can't listen to the radio because of the poor fidelity, the guy who NEVER streams Pandora or any other streaming service because the files aren't lossless, and the guy who's gonna go deaf from music that is too loud, you will need a super-amp, whether it be vintage or otherwise.

If, on the other hand, you are a member of the other 5% of head-fi
rolleyes.gif
, you will do just fine.  I drove my mad dogs from a Pico Slim for a while.  Not "ideal" but fine.  I couldn't quite get loud enough to do temporary ear damage, but close enough.  I did end up getting an iBasso PB2 and then a HIFI-M8, and both of those drive the Mad dogs and Alpha Dogs by extension (I've had the AD's and the MD's side by side for a couple of days, very similar in power desires) quite well.  Well enough that I don't feel the slightest need for a 1/4 mile long extension cord and an old Sansui stuck into a backpack.

So, it depends.  If you are a member of the 95%, that weak little Vamp just aint gonna cut it.  Why would anyone sell something so anemic anyway?  Who would buy such an anemic thing? Power measured in MILLIWATTS fer cryin' out loud?

If on the other hand you are a member of the 5% of head-fi that has emerged from over the top obsession (or somehow managed to avoid it), that Vamp will do just fine.  Until the itch that can never be scratched strikes again...

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #3,657 of 9,071
The issue at hand was the volume and yes it's loud enough through the iPhone. Of course it wont sound amazing, but it sounded good to me.

And...THIS....IS...HEAD-FI!!!!!!!! *Spartan kick* Only a 1.21 GW amp is good enough, nothing less.

No but really, as from my listen between amps, power isn't the only thing to make something sound good.

I still need to write my impressions. I just saw Ender's game and I should have bought the soundtrack on HD Tracks with the 10% off sale..

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #3,658 of 9,071
Amen aamefford, amen. I have to agree. I personally tore into my car stereo because the newest technology it supported was cassette, not iPod. Music is music to me. I'd rather listen to music on my phone speaker than be a picky snob when I want to hear a certain song.
I used the fiio e11 to amp a concert speaker while we were pulling apart the car stereo.
Of course, that doesn't mean I don't want to get the absolute best whenever it makes sense, just that I'm okay with "good enough".
I guess that should be considered when anyone reads my AD review.

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #3,659 of 9,071
Amen @aamefford, amen. I have to agree. I personally tore into my car stereo because the newest technology it supported was cassette, not iPod. Music is music to me. I'd rather listen to music on my phone speaker than be a picky snob when I want to hear a certain song.
I used the fiio e11 to amp a concert speaker while we were pulling apart the car stereo.
Of course, that doesn't mean I don't want to get the absolute best whenever it makes sense, just that I'm okay with "good enough".
I guess that should be considered when anyone reads my AD review.

Yep, right with ya @mechgamer123 I bounce between the 95% and the 5%.  I like music.  I am finding myself more desirous of listening to music, than of requiring fidelity lately, again, and finally!  I'm still a snob, but not as bad as I used to be.  One has to still be an audio snob at least a little to pay $600 or $300 or $1800 for a pair of headphones!  ($650 is my tops so far, D7000's back when they were heavily discounted.)

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #3,660 of 9,071
I like the bass on the Alpha Dog much more than on the Mad Dog 3.2. I find it to have more rumble and more impact (a la LCD-2). Then again, the Alpha Dog might have had a better seal on my head due to the ultra-squishy earpads.

I'm still writing up my impressions slowly but surely...

they have the same pads.

If I had mice ears or was as quiet as a blue mouse.(just playin lol) In this matter just throw an 1/8th inch adapter on an lcd2, he500, hd-650,so on and so forth....I just know they say "sounds good out of an ipod BUT they do their best.... "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back