Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Mar 31, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #331 of 419
  Hey guys, probably a "noob question" here but still kinda curious.
biggrin.gif

I'm currently driving my Mad Dogs with a Fiio E12 Mont Blanc portable amp. I love the sound as is, but I was wondering, would I benefit a good deal from adding a DAC to my setup? If so, does anyone know of a good portable DAC that pairs well with the Mad Dogs and E12?

What are you currently using as your source? If you're using a phone or a laptop's built-in audio card then you should see a substantial improvement in quality adding a DAC. Do you have a budget in mind? There are decent DACs available for a reasonable price and then there are ones that will blow your socks off, but will set you back a good deal more.

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #332 of 419

What are you currently using as your source? If you're using a phone or a laptop's built-in audio card then you should see a substantial improvement in quality adding a DAC. Do you have a budget in mind? There are decent DACs available for a reasonable price and then there are ones that will blow your socks off, but will set you back a good deal more.

Heh, probably should have said that. I'm currently using an iPod Touch 4th Generation (32gb), with a Fiio L9 Line-out cable connected to my E12. As for price range, probably no more that $150, though I could stretch it a bit.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #334 of 419

Heh, probably should have said that. I'm currently using an iPod Touch 4th Generation (32gb), with a Fiio L9 Line-out cable connected to my E12. As for price range, probably no more that $150, though I could stretch it a bit.

I tell you what - sell your Touch and get the X5 - the Mad Dogs sound stellar with it, and the E12 will give you plenty of juice.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #336 of 419

I tell you what - sell your Touch and get the X5 - the Mad Dogs sound stellar with it, and the E12 will give you plenty of juice.

The X5 sure does appeal to me, but I'm just worried about pricing: I'm positive I can't cover $200+ with selling my touch. Plus, the bluetooth is rather desirable on my touch to be honest. I hate messing with taking my setup in and out of my pocket, and my smartwatch lets me control my music through bluetooth. A luxury, yes, but a nice one personally.
tongue.gif

I'll definitely look into the X5, it certainly seems like an exceptional DAP for the price.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #339 of 419
I just got my Mad Dogs upgraded to the Pro version and am really enjoying the improved sound. It's a very worthwhile upgrade! I've been powering them with a Magni but have been interested trying a tube-based amp. If I make the change to tubes I'd use the Magni in the office.

My budget is probably $250 or less so I don't know what the real options are, outside of the Schiit Vali (which seems like a good match and a great value at $120). I'm interested in any suggested amps to consider in addition to the Vali.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #340 of 419
  I just got my Mad Dogs upgraded to the Pro version and am really enjoying the improved sound. It's a very worthwhile upgrade! I've been powering them with a Magni but have been interested trying a tube-based amp. If I make the change to tubes I'd use the Magni in the office.

My budget is probably $250 or less so I don't know what the real options are, outside of the Schiit Vali (which seems like a good match and a great value at $120). I'm interested in any suggested amps to consider in addition to the Vajli.

A $250 tube amp ends up costing more, perhaps about $500... because once you have tubes, then you will want to try various ones to see what fits your tastes.   Generally, the current production tubes that are used in tube amps suck, but amp makers have no choice, because they there is no quantity source of reliable 50 year old tubes.

So, the fact that the Vali has soldered tubes makes it an especially good value. :)

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #342 of 419

My budget is probably $250 or less so I don't know what the real options are, outside of the Schiit Vali (which seems like a good match and a great value at $120). I'm interested in any suggested amps to consider in addition to the Vali.

my budget setup is the dragonfly v1.2 for at home (yes it can drive the Mad dog pretty good, unless your deaf)

on the go, I use my BSG CMOY with AD712.

but now i have a Schiit Lyr I run from source to my cmoy (low gain) to my Lyr, for some reason with the AD712 op-amp I am getting really good sound stage...Its huge.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #343 of 419

honestly bro the nuforce Icon DAC is a great pairing as a dac/amp for the mD. The dac is better than magni and amp section better than modi with good bass and clean sound. Not the Nuforce hdp

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #344 of 419

honestly bro the nuforce Icon DAC is a great pairing as a dac/amp for the mD. The dac is better than magni and amp section better than modi with good bass and clean sound. Not the Nuforce hdp

Grizz - you have that reversed - the modi is a DAC and the magni is an amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back