Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Feb 18, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #316 of 419
  The Cmoy in the Altoids can from JDS Labs.

There was some discussion elsewhere in the Forums about some headphones needing voltage and some needing current, and that dynamics needed one and planars need the other.  I am oversimplifying the electronics - and I have no idea whether it is correct - but that was the conclusion.

From my own experience, it might be the case that the Cmoy design works for dynamics and not for planars for that reason being discussed.  The Cmoy design is amazing in how with a very few tiny parts, it can create a very nice sounding portable amplifier.  So, it seems likely that it has some significant tradeoffs, and those might be the same thing that is needed to work with planars.

But the above is just speculation.

what was the sound like when you hook it up to the Mad Dog?

I done 3-4 hours of researching last night, seems like Mad Dog need a lot of mW to drive them. When I first look at headphones, I thought impedance was the important thing but apparently there is more to the equation than impedance to make a headphone sound good.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #317 of 419
Heyhey,

I'll be getting Mad Dog headphones and a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 for competitive gaming purposes. But there have been some different opinions on the matter of needing an amp or not. Got recommended this thread so thought i'd ask.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #318 of 419
  Heyhey,

I'll be getting Mad Dog headphones and a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 for competitive gaming purposes. But there have been some different opinions on the matter of needing an amp or not. Got recommended this thread so thought i'd ask.

whoah suprisingly I got the same DAC, there is a difference in sound, very minute to my ears. Yes you will need an amp. I am running a measly Nuforce MMP right now, it give about 60mw to the headphone, alot of volume but fidelity is lacking. Give me till Tuesday, My Dragonfly and BSG CMOY should be here by then.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #321 of 419
  Heyhey,

Ask that question at the end of the following thread, to get an expert answer:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-czs-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #322 of 419
  Heyhey,

if you have the creative sound blaster x-fi you dont need an amp, but your listening level is different than mine, you might want to look into a cmoy amp with JR4556 op-amp or just get the Dragonfly, it will produce very very loud sound level with faithful sound fidelity.

For some reason when i plug my cmoy into my dragonfly, the sound lost a lot of bass, not sure the reason behind that.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #326 of 419
How do the ALO amps work with these? I'm thinking about getting a RX MK2.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #328 of 419
Anyone paired the MDs with the C&C BH budget amp?

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #329 of 419
How do the ALO amps work with these? I'm thinking about getting a RX MK2.

RX Mk3 was mentioned on the list, though Mk2 wasn't. Not sure if that happened for reason or not.

Pan Am not mentioned, though Alpha Dogs pair very well with it...

Am I the only person using AD with Pan Am?

Can I recommend it? I don't know. I can't really compare it to other amps, but I can say it can make AD sound deafening loud even at low gain setting.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #330 of 419
Hey guys, probably a "noob question" here but still kinda curious.
biggrin.gif

I'm currently driving my Mad Dogs with a Fiio E12 Mont Blanc portable amp. I love the sound as is, but I was wondering, would I benefit a good deal from adding a DAC to my setup? If so, does anyone know of a good portable DAC that pairs well with the Mad Dogs and E12?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back