Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Feb 10, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #301 of 419
I'm waiting on an X5 which has a good amount of power for a portable DAP...I still love my Mad Dogs - even out of a little E17, they make music so enjoyable to listen to. For me, these are the kind of cans that you just hold onto even if you pick up something better down the road.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #303 of 419
  I'm waiting on an X5 which has a good amount of power for a portable DAP...

Review at:

http://www.headfonia.com/better-but-fiio-x5/

BTW, they also did a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog review at:

http://www.headfonia.com/dan-clarks-masterpiece-mr-speakers-alpha-dog/

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #304 of 419
Hey I have the Mad Dogs and I'm loving them a lot. I was using the ibasso d12 and a DAC/Amp combo and I just recently started to use the Fiio X3 and a DAC. In doing so I wonder should I now switch to a device that is fully an Amp (like the Fiio e12) or does the d12s provide enough power as a standalone amp. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #306 of 419
So what is the general consensus on recommended portable amps for these cans? I know the E12 has been recommended. Any others that do just as good or a better job without taking up that much space?

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #309 of 419
So what is the general consensus on recommended portable amps for these cans? I know the E12 has been recommended. Any others that do just as good or a better job without taking up that much space?

The E12 has been recommended a few times and is great for its money and size! I'm currently using the ALO RX Mk3 and I'm waiting for Dan to send back my upgraded balanced universal. I am very happy with the sound single ended out of my RX Mk3 though. I don't think there's a big difference between the B and the newer B+ edition except for the improved battery life.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #310 of 419
Didn't really pay attention to the first few pages of the thread so I definitely didn't see the recommendations already made. With a small budget and space limit, does anything compare to the E12 or is that top of the line for that price point and portability?

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #312 of 419
I have a Cmoy and it does not work very well with either the HE-400 or the Mad Dogs.  It's fine with most dynamics, so it seems it is not suited for planars in general.

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #313 of 419
  I have a Cmoy and it does not work very well with either the HE-400 or the Mad Dogs.  It's fine with most dynamics, so it seems it is not suited for planars in general.

which one did you have? opamp? I'm getting it from BSG and I inform him what headphone I have, hopefully he can work his magic.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #315 of 419
The Cmoy in the Altoids can from JDS Labs.

There was some discussion elsewhere in the Forums about some headphones needing voltage and some needing current, and that dynamics needed one and planars need the other.  I am oversimplifying the electronics - and I have no idea whether it is correct - but that was the conclusion.

From my own experience, it might be the case that the Cmoy design works for dynamics and not for planars for that reason being discussed.  The Cmoy design is amazing in how with a very few tiny parts, it can create a very nice sounding portable amplifier.  So, it seems likely that it has some significant tradeoffs, and those might be the same thing that is needed to work with planars.

But the above is just speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back